Options

Wireless Routers

Lukin639Lukin639 Posts: 72
edited January 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
I am thinking about getting one. Any suggestions or things to watch out for would be great. Thanks!
All above material copyrighted, 2013, Lukin639.
All rights reserved..most rights reserved...no rights reserved...,2013.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Lukin639 wrote:
    I am thinking about getting one. Any suggestions or things to watch out for would be great. Thanks!

linksys makes good ones. that's what i have. model wrt54g.

bestbuy/circuit city have sales all the time.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    if you have adsl check with your service provider to see if there is a model that you can buy that does both highspeed and wireless. using 2 seperate devices can at times cause lag/freezing....I have never had problems, but know people that have.

the 3 most relevent types are A, B, G. Get a B, G card (best for long and short range)

Linksys is good, as is D-link

ensure it is compatable with your version of windows (especially if you are not using MicroSoft)

What type of computer do you have? LT, DT? if you have a laptop you can get usb, slot, internal. Many newer LT allready have builtin wireless and/or bluetooth. If you have a slot, external cards are easiest, and more mobile than usb.

If you have a desktop, definatelly go internal card. They are pretty simple installs. Unplug power, open up tower, slide into slot (I would assume you have room, few people don't)

XP makes loading the program pretty easy---most are "plug and play" now adays.

as for security, they are pretty safe if you use their security features. you want to ensure it has 128 bit or 256 encr. (nobody is getting past that)

the security CAN be a bit difficult to set up the first time, which is why many people don't set it up, and can be accessed by anyone. It really is not that bad though. If the manual/online help is not enough, the 1800 help lines are actually pretty good (that is to say that they actually know a few things on the other end----I had serious problems with bluetooth---they helped)

those are the key points I can think of right now.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    also, check out tigerdirect.ca if in canada and tigerdirect.com if in us. Their prices will not likely be beat, and their deliveries appear very fast! I buy all my stuff there.

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info! It is much appreciated.
    Now all I need is someone to buy the router and install it for me, while I hold a beer, point, and criticize.
  • Options
    Lukin639 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info! It is much appreciated.
    Now all I need is someone to buy the router and install it for me, while I hold a beer, point, and criticize.

I like your style. But I think you should also be watchin a movie half the time, laughing as annoyingly as possable. Every now and then, turn to criticize, without trully even looking. :)

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    Right on! I like the movie bit, it adds a nice touch.