Options

External Harddrive Question

jojojojo Posts: 645
edited October 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
So I have an external hard drive and would like to use it for ripping and burning dvds but it takes SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much longer to rip and burn too and from then my reg c drive. Is there anything I can do?
Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Rip to your internal drive, move to external. If your ext drive is USB, you might want to try firewire if you have a firewire port.
  • Options
    seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    cutback wrote:
    Rip to your internal drive, move to external. If your ext drive is USB, you might want to try firewire if you have a firewire port.
    +1
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Options
    jojo wrote:
    So I have an external hard drive and would like to use it for ripping and burning dvds but it takes SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much longer to rip and burn too and from then my reg c drive. Is there anything I can do?

well...there are several connections you can have with an external drive:

USB 1.1 (slow)
    Firewire (fast)
    USB2 (fast)

http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

which are you using?

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    Looking into getting an external HD today. Anyone have any experience/thoughts any either of these models?

Maxtor - OneTouch II 200GB External Hard Drive E01E200
    USB 2.0 interface; OneTouch backup; data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps; 8MB buffer; Maxtor DriveLock

Western Digital - My Book Essential 250GB External Hard Drive WDG1U2500N
    USB 2.0 interface; compact, stackable case; quiet operation; data transfer rate up to 480 Mbps; 8MB buffer

Both are $99.
  • Options
    SmitreSmitre Posts: 68
    mulva9 wrote:
    Looking into getting an external HD today. Anyone have any experience/thoughts any either of these models?

USB 2.0 interface; OneTouch backup; data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps; 8MB buffer; Maxtor DriveLock

USB 2.0 interface; compact, stackable case; quiet operation; data transfer rate up to 480 Mbps; 8MB buffer

Both are $99.

No complaints about my year old Maxtor 200gb.
    www.givelife.org [Red Cross Blood Donation]
    1-800-GiveLife 1-800-448-3543
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I personally use a 2 1/2 inch laptop HDD in a drive enclosure. It is USB 2.0.
  • Options
    seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    mulva9 wrote:

Both are $99.
    ive got the WD. its great
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Options
    Anything Maxtor is shit avoid it at all costs. Go with the WD they make good quality hard drives.
  • Options
    edeneden Posts: 407
    jojo wrote:

You need a new framazammer :)
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    eden wrote:
    You need a new framazammer :)

actually, they phased out framazammers when the microframazammers were developed some time ago. framazammers are really hard to come by now...and even if you could find one...you might as well spend the extra dough to get the latest and greatest...yes, a microframazammer.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    nerd alarm!!!