Options

Help! Fatal Exception 06

desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 144
edited April 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
Does anybody know anything about the Fatal Exception 06 error in Windows? I got this error a couple of weeks ago on my laptop, it basically incapacitates the computer with the blue screen that alerts you of the error, it then says to press any key to continue, but always just goes right back to the error. I did a search of the error on Microsoft's website and it said something about having to do with my antivirus program, so I did what they told me to do, (removed a line of code somewhere through the comand prompt) was able to get the desktop up and running again, so I uninstalled the antivirus (at my own risk, of course) and thought I had fixed it for a moment, now I can access everything except the internet. As soon as I open up explorer it goes to the blue error screen, I ran an up to date virus scan before uninstalling and it said I didn't have any viruses, but I don't really know a lot about the technical side of stuff. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? If anyone could help me out, I would be forever in your debt. I'm dieing without my laptop. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Ahh, the blue screen of death. My pc crashes with monotonous regularity and I too would like to know the answer to this one.
  • Options
    So I read last night on another forum that this may be caused by a Windows Update that is "burping" on Windows 98 and ME. Someone else had a similar problem and the guy gave him the name of the update and told him to open his computer in safe mode and remove the update. The guy with the problem said it worked. I know how to open up in safe mode, but I don't know how to go about deleting that update. Can anybody help me out?
  • Options
    Which windows are you using and during which application this error occurs???????
    *** PeAcE ***
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Okay, I've fixed mine! Remove KB891711.exe from your add/remove programs box. It's a Windows update that causes fatal exceptions on 98se, especially when you try to open Firefox. :)

Tell me if that does the trick.
  • Options
    Okay, I've fixed mine! Remove KB891711.exe from your add/remove programs box. It's a Windows update that causes fatal exceptions on 98se, especially when you try to open Firefox. :)

Tell me if that does the trick.

Oh man you beat me to it. I figured that out this weekend. Who would have ever thought Microsoft would be the cause of so many problems? I'm glad you got fixed up too! Thanks for the concern. :)