Bit Torrent

fi4201fi4201 Posts: 16
edited November 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
I just downloaded a bit torrent program, and im downloading the green habit compliation, for some reason its slow as hell, how long should it be taking? its telling me 3 days, i have high speed, i dont know why its so slow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't even know what Bit Torrent means....i've checked these sites out too...but i don't understand them.

If someone couls answer my question too.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • fi4201 wrote:
    I just downloaded a bit torrent program, and im downloading the green habit compliation, for some reason its slow as hell, how long should it be taking? its telling me 3 days, i have high speed, i dont know why its so slow.

Does it need a client with it like Azureus?
  • I am downloading the same file.......sometimes it is really fast sometimes really slow, let's say between 5k/sec up too 80k/sec......3 days seems pretty good to me....I've been downloading this file for almost 2 weeks (non-continuous). I think it's worth the wait.
  • I assume you are downloading from TSIS? IF so it seems that there is only 1 seeder in that torrent and 7 leechers. That is probably why it is going so slow. not to mention it is over 4GBs...it will take a while, with 1 seeder 3 days will be about right. But if the people above you finish and help seed it will move a bit quicker. Plus most of the peers are firewalled.

The key to Torrents...patience...;)
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    I don't even know what Bit Torrent means....i've checked these sites out too...but i don't understand them.

If someone couls answer my question too.

neither do i..
    help us!!
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Download Bit Comet... that is the best bit torrent file sharing thing.IMO
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • fi4201fi4201 Posts: 16
    Tom K wrote:
    Download Bit Comet... that is the best bit torrent file sharing thing.IMO
    Do you go to shippensburg university in pa? im going there in the spring or fall
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    yea man I'm at ship...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    fi4201 wrote:
    Bit torrent speeds depend largely on how many people are connected at one time. When Green Habit first came out it was flying, because there were hundreds of people downloading at once. The more people connected, the more people you're sharing with and are sharing with you, and the faster it goes. That's a huge file and it's been around for a while, so 3 days sounds about right. Now that you've got the bit torrent client installed, you can download things when they first become available and there are a lot of people connected, and in the future things won't take so long.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
    y isnt any1 helping?????
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

London 20/04/2006
  • shahril wrote:
    y isnt any1 helping?????

With what? And usually please helps.
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    fuck bit torrent, use dc++!!! you'll get much better speeds (depending on the type of connection the host you are downloading has)
    i know some nice PJ and radiohead hubs if ya want
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    onejourney wrote:
    With what? And usually please helps.

with what bit torrent actually is..

please
    please
    please
    please
    please

London 20/04/2006
  • shahril wrote:
    with what bit torrent actually is..

please
    please
    please
    please
    please

If you dont have a high speed connection, dont bother going any further because it wont be worth it. If you do...

Bit Torrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing system. The files do not come from a web site, they come from someone sharing a particular file (or in our case live show). Example:

I recorded or posess a show that is desired by a number of people. I will create a torrent. This starts the process...

I upload it to a site, say pjsidewalkcrusaders.com. I am then considered a seeder. I am "seeding" the show so others may download it from me. They are called "leechers".

These leechers are simultaneously uploading to other leechers to speed up the process. Once a leecher completes a show it is courtisy (and often required) to continue uploading so you have uploaded AT LEAST as much as you have downloaded. (Ex. A show is 800mb, you should let others download at least 800mb from you)

You can then listen, burn, trade, delete, cry, scream, or do whatever you want with the show. (as long as you dont sell it or convert to mp3)
  • I will second that request. I would like to find out exactly how Bit Torrent works.
  • 99problems wrote:
    I will second that request. I would like to find out exactly how Bit Torrent works.

see my previous post...;)
    How easy is it to play and burn the stuff after its downloaded?
  • uttlesuttles Posts: 13
    fi4201 wrote:
    Do you go to shippensburg university in pa? im going there in the spring or fall

Crazy, I live in Atlanta and am dating a girl that graduated from there... and I'd never heard of it before I met her... weird.
    i will be... i will be there once more...
  • fi4201 wrote:

Not really hard. Most of the stuff you download will be in .flac or .shn format, the most common compression formats for lossless audio. You will need to convert them to .wav first, or have a player that can read them before you can listen to them. Once that's done, they are like any other file.

I use FlacFrontend for .flac, and DB Audio Convertor for .shn, both can be found free on the internet. :)
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • fi4201 wrote:

If you install flac frontend (freeware) you can play them through winamp just like regular mp3s and waves. You can decode them using frontend as well and then burn them as regular waves. If you use Nero thats not even neccessary cuz frontend will install a plugin so that the files are combatible with Nero as well.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • If you install flac frontend (freeware) you can play them through winamp just like regular mp3s and waves. You can decode them using frontend as well and then burn them as regular waves. If you use Nero thats not even neccessary cuz frontend will install a plugin so that the files are combatible with Nero as well.

Not to mention, when doing this you get rid of those annoying pops between the track brought to you by the one and only MP3 format! ;)
  • onejourney wrote:
    Not to mention, when doing this you get rid of those annoying pops between the track brought to you by the one and only MP3 format! ;)

You mean those nasty miliseconds of shame that made me go through hell everytime I listened to a boot? ;)

Could someone give me a link where I can get this DB Audio Converter (I assume it's freeware). I was looking for it on the net yet came up empty-handed. I need a good audio converter, right now I'm using different ones for various formats, it'd be nice to have one that does it all :D
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
    uttles wrote:
    Crazy, I live in Atlanta and am dating a girl that graduated from there... and I'd never heard of it before I met her... weird.

Its a small world after all.
    how do i download from dbtree?
  • You mean those nasty miliseconds of shame that made me go through hell everytime I listened to a boot? ;)

Could someone give me a link where I can get this DB Audio Converter (I assume it's freeware). I was looking for it on the net yet came up empty-handed. I need a good audio converter, right now I'm using different ones for various formats, it'd be nice to have one that does it all :D

You mean something like this? :D
  • what an interesting/informative read...thanks! i really know next to nothing about this sort of stuff. usually utilize hubby for all of it..hahaha. i still don't know how to DL a torrent per se...but i understand the workingsa of it moreso, so thanks for that. currently DL - or hubby set it up for me ;) - the torrent for all the holiday singles off tsis. sooo great that people share like this - beautiful! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow