Options

Notebook networking issue

q4444q4444 Posts: 7
edited September 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
Recently I have prided myself in "bringing back to life" older notebooks. By this I mean, I take older notebooks from friends, family, etc, that are going to be put to sleep and try to get them running again. I have gotten a few older ones up and running for family, friends, etc to use.

Anyhow, I recently did this with a Toshiba Satellite 2545xcdt which was previously running WIN98. I updated that OS, am in the process of adding memory, and I want to get on my home network. For the life of me, I can't get it to see the network. I have tried two things....
1. Putting in a Linksys Wireless-B network card. The machine will recognize and install the card, and it seems the hardware is set up and running fine. Problem is, it won't see the router, so I get zippy signal.
2. I put in an ethernet card, so I could try "hardwiring" to get on the network, but same thing happens. It recognizes the card, sets up, etc, but I can't get internet access.

Ultimately, I want wireless access, because I plan on keeping this machine for myself. It has a fairly large screen(big enough for me I guess), and it's light enough for me.

Any ideas? I consider myself a little smarter than a novice when it comes to these things, but far from knowledgable
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    your first problem is trying to get old shit working again. it always creates more headacres than it fixes.

sounds like you are doing everything right. is there security set on the wireless router? did you check the tcp/ip settings? are you getting an IP address? you probably want a dynamic 192.x.x.x IP address.

its hard to trouble shoot old crap. you may be doing everything right and it still wont work because the hardware simply doesnt work.