Options

Flac to MP3

ucsbledbetterucsbledbetter Posts: 173
edited October 2008 in Technical Stuff and Help
How do I convert a flac file in Winamp to a file that I can store in iTunes. It wont let me drag the files, hmm??

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    You can convert it to .wav format and it won't lose any sound quality. Though the MB size of WAV is slightly larger than FLAC.

To convert on Winamp. Click "Options" then "Preferences" and you'll see a drop-menu of selections. Click on "CD Ripping" and under "Encoder/Encoding Format" you can convert it to mp3, wav, ect...
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    Best thing to do is to covert the FLAC (I use FLAC FRONTEND on my PC) to a WAV file. You really do not need to use WINAMP. Just drag your WAV files into itunes...if u want MP3's...right click on the song and choose "convert to mp3" and it will! :)
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    DesignVHL wrote:
    Best thing to do is to covert the FLAC (I use FLAC FRONTEND on my PC) to a WAV file. You really do not need to use WINAMP. Just drag your WAV files into itunes...if u want MP3's...right click on the song and choose "convert to mp3" and it will! :)
    I have and used Frontend as well.

But I have gotten some troubles when trying to convert FLACs to WAV for the iTunes. Sometimes, it would tell me that I don't have permission to convert the FLAC files. :confused: I never figured out what the malfunction was about.

I haven't had any problems with WINamp yet. This also converts to mp3.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    How do I convert a flac file in Winamp to a file that I can store in iTunes. It wont let me drag the files, hmm??

Thanks

don't do it! mp3 is the worst thing you can do to your music!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lol agreed w/ you on that one....but if you have a 4gb ipod and want to stuff it w/ music...it sounds good enuf at 190kbs....better than a 35mb wave file! :) Other than that, I rather listen to wav...which i wish I didn't have to convert to. IF only apple would allow codecs for FLAC! GRRR...that is where I get frustrated. Winamp is Ok I used to use it....but I love itunes. :)
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    Is flac files that much better than mp3's.I know nothing at all on flac files.On the space issue is it like 3 songs to one?How do you play flac files?
    Miami 92,WPB 2008,Tampa 2008,MSG 2008#1, EV Baltimore 2009 Night#2,EV ATL 2009, Seattle 2009, Jazzfest 2010, WM3 Arkansas 2010,Bridge School 2010
  • Options
    Basically, FLAC format is LOSSLESS - which means there is no loss of quality from the original recording source (usually DAT, or Digitally straight into the computer).

Here's a link to more info:
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/

pasting from that link:
    FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio, and you can play back compressed FLAC files in your favorite player (or your car or home stereo, see supported devices) just like you would an MP3 file.

**Althought this is not 100% true. My fav. audio player is itunes, which does not support FLAC....and if it does, someone please tell me! :)
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    Is flac files also compressed or are they the same size as regular audio files.
    Miami 92,WPB 2008,Tampa 2008,MSG 2008#1, EV Baltimore 2009 Night#2,EV ATL 2009, Seattle 2009, Jazzfest 2010, WM3 Arkansas 2010,Bridge School 2010
  • Options
    Yes, it is compressed as the definition I posted above states. FLACs are SLIGHTLY smaller than a WAV file - but retains music quality...when you decode to WAV its a larger file size...but still great quality...flac compresses the file size, but again, retains quality. MP3 has even more compression - and I believe you lose much of the quality. Some people can tell the difference more than others..esp. tapers and audiophiles. :)

What constitutes as a "regular" audio file? To me there isn't one....there's so many different formats of audio(FLAC, SHN, MP3, ACC, MP4, WAV, etc.). Just like there are of images (tif, jpeg, ai, psd, eps, bmp, png, gif...etc) :p

Whatever music player you like best, use something that sounds and works for you. :) I like FLAC, WAV and mp3 (JUST for my Ipod) - tho i use wavs more than mp3s even though they are larger in file size ( i just can't fit as many songs as I'd like to on there).
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    Thanks sorry for being a pain in the ass
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    Can I convert MP3 to flac?Have some stuff I want to burn but the few that I've done are MP3, can't say I'm impressed with sound quality. Shows are still awesome but sound "tinny", also what I have dloaded are in MP3. Guessing i should search for better files?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    It would be pointless to go back to a lossless format - converting to mp3 you already had a loss of quality to some degree. That would be like taking a jpg image and shrinking it, and then deciding you want it bigger and enlarging it again - it just doesn't look the same....
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
    never convert mp3 to flac.
  • Options
    DesignVHL wrote:
    It would be pointless to go back to a lossless format - converting to mp3 you already had a loss of quality to some degree. That would be like taking a jpg image and shrinking it, and then deciding you want it bigger and enlarging it again - it just doesn't look the same....
    ok thanks, the search is on!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    then where , oh where , can one find certain "THINGS" in that format?

Just point in a good direction please? Privately of course.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    then where , oh where , can one find certain "THINGS" in that format?

Just point in a good direction please? Privately of course.
    2 hints bro'

1: Torrents

2: Jason Bay used to play for the Pirates. ;)
  • Options
    Play FLAC with your Windows Media Player with this Plugin. Download the UNSTABLE version because it’s the latest updated one (version 0.80.15039 ). Once you installed the plugin, you’re ready to play FLACs on your WMP.

To double check if the WMP added this plugin, just click on the Player’s “Tools” then “Option” and finally “File Types” and FLAC File (flac) will be one of the checked types.

Now to play, just go to “My Music” and select the FLAC album you want to listen to but don’t open it. Instead right click it, then select “Play with Windows Media Player” and the WMP will play the album for you automatically. *If there are artwork and cover in the folder, the WMP will show those first and then play the audio FLAC*

This way you can play the FLAC bootleg/album on-the-go without waiting for conversion to WAV or that yucky MP3 crap. It also saves up your hard-drive space b/c the WAV or MP3 folder won’t be added.

NOTE: Don’t try to burn FLAC onto CD-Rs with WMP though because the extension might be .flac which won’t play on audio Cds

Now if you want an on-the-go FLAC burner straight onto CD-Rs, WinAmp works good but the best one is Nero along with the MauSau FLAC plugin ;)
  • Options
    Hold_OnHold_On Posts: 52
    LongRd. wrote:
    Play FLAC with your Windows Media Player with this Plugin. Download the UNSTABLE version because it’s the latest updated one (version 0.80.15039 ). Once you installed the plugin, you’re ready to play FLACs on your WMP.

To double check if the WMP added this plugin, just click on the Player’s “Tools” then “Option” and finally “File Types” and FLAC File (flac) will be one of the checked types.

Now to play, just go to “My Music” and select the FLAC album you want to listen to but don’t open it. Instead right click it, then select “Play with Windows Media Player” and the WMP will play the album for you automatically. *If there are artwork and cover in the folder, the WMP will show those first and then play the audio FLAC*

This way you can play the FLAC bootleg/album on-the-go without waiting for conversion to WAV or that yucky MP3 crap. It also saves up your hard-drive space b/c the WAV or MP3 folder won’t be added.

NOTE: Don’t try to burn FLAC onto CD-Rs with WMP though because the extension might be .flac which won’t play on audio Cds

Now if you want an on-the-go FLAC burner straight onto CD-Rs, WinAmp works good but the best one is Nero along with the MauSau FLAC plugin ;)
    awesome info, ty ty ty ty ty ;) I've been trying to convert some flacs for some time, but I've been putting it off because, well, I was lazy on learning how to do it. But ty!
  • Options
    Hold_On wrote:
    awesome info, ty ty ty ty ty ;) I've been trying to convert some flacs for some time, but I've been putting it off because, well, I was lazy on learning how to do it. But ty!
    no problem. that's what friends are for.

we're here to give each other the flak, or shall I say FLAC?...;)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
    LongRd. wrote:
    no problem. that's what friends are for.

better believe it! :)