desperate need for computr help

sevensinssevensins Posts: 887
edited October 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
my computer is dead, its a sony vaio...i was on it this morning, everything was fine. then i went to sleep. I awoke to the computer in sleep mode, i turned it on it worked fine. loaded up yahho and aim, again wored fine. clicked on a buddy on aim and the thing turns off...and i turn it back on it go's on, but wont let windows start up, and then it turns off again and turns back on and keps doing that....now i feel like breaking legs. cuz if my computer doesnt work, i cant record music, listen to music, contact like half my friends who's numbers i dont have or have memorized....i need that computer on....anyone know what to do?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thunder_balls:

Virus maybe? Or maybe did you change any hardware or settings lately? if you have XP, you should press F8 while starting up, and go to safe mode, and use System Restore to go back to the last day it worked.

Depop:

Let me guess...it loofs like windows is starting normally, then there are perhaps a couple of screens you may not have noticed before. Then, if you have tried a hard boot, it will say windows was shut down incorrectly. It will give you 3 options. It does not matter which you choose, windows looks to be starting, but a screen flashes up with about 4 lines, but it happens so fast you can not read any of it, and turns off again.

You crashed a driver.

This was likely caused by a power fluctuation, a drawback to the VAIO. Perhaps your power cord came out. Perhaps it is on the frits.

Anyways, there are a few options.
    1. remove your hard drive and place it in a new computer and get the info you desire/do a backup.
    2. Pay 85 bucks for a computer store to do it for you

You will need to format. sorry, that sucks.

important contact info should always be stored online...it is the safest place. Try yahoo briefcase or something.
    or
    buy an external harddrive.
    I have one and preform frquent backups. It is cheaper than using CDs in the long run, and you can back up your music to. Just be smart, and never have it plugged in while your computer is plugged into a network or modem.

I have CD backups as well (factory defaults), but now if my computer crashes, I can access my external drive from another computer and create up to date backups.

Depop:

Originally Posted by thunder_balls
    Virus maybe? Or maybe did you change any hardware or settings lately? if you have XP, you should press F8 while starting up, and go to safe mode, and use System Restore to go back to the last day it worked.

try safe mode, but I am guessing it will not work. Nor will restore, it solunds like a driver issue.

Depop:

Wait, There MIGHT be something else.

sony ussually comes standard with a partition, unless you remove it.
    This essentially means that your harddrive is split in 2 (C, and D drive)

Did you save only programs and op systems and whatnot on C, and all your personal stuff on D? (that is kind of the purpose..If you have a 60g HD, set 10-15g up as C, 5g for the partition and the rest to the D. Then only put programs and what not on C, and day to day stuff on D)

Anyways, IF you can live with loosing everything on C, you are set. Just put in your recovery DVD (came with computer), or 1st recovery CD (that you made). It will come to a screen where it asks if you want to restore C, D, or both. Chose C only. This will restore the C drive to default, but will leave D intact!

goodluck, hope this helps.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key