bit torrent software (pj related)

sailboatcaptainsailboatcaptain Posts: 251
edited November 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
I`m going to download bit torrent , but first would like to know.

is it a safe software?

has anyone had problems with it?

thanks!
a WAVE came crashing like a fist to the jaw !
WPB 03,Tampa 03,Camden 03,MSG1 03,Kissimmee 04,Lollapalooza 07, WPB 08,Tampa 08,Chicago 2009 (night 1 & 2), MSG 1 & 2 May 2010. PJ20 Sept 3 & 4 2011, Midtown Festival Sept 2012, Brooklyn Oct 18 & 19 2013, Ft Lauderdale 2016 and Miami 2016, Brooklyn, NY 2017
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    I love bit torrent, I download almost 24/7. I haven't had any problems at all with it. There will be some occational times where the torrent doesn't download, but nothing big. It's the best thing on the internet!! Just don't download illegal material, like games and studio albums and you shouldn't have any problems.

Some good BT sites-
    http://www.dimeadozen.org/ any bands
    http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/index.php any bands, but not as much as the first link
    http://pj.sidewalkcrusaders.com/ mainly Pearl Jam torrents
  • thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    a WAVE came crashing like a fist to the jaw !
    WPB 03,Tampa 03,Camden 03,MSG1 03,Kissimmee 04,Lollapalooza 07, WPB 08,Tampa 08,Chicago 2009 (night 1 & 2), MSG 1 & 2 May 2010. PJ20 Sept 3 & 4 2011, Midtown Festival Sept 2012, Brooklyn Oct 18 & 19 2013, Ft Lauderdale 2016 and Miami 2016, Brooklyn, NY 2017
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,278
    i use bit tornado. it's a good program. the orginal bittorrent program works fine, i just prefer BT instead.
    it's safe. you may have to shut off windows and other firewalls in order to get decent speeds, but you can turn them back on afterwards.

also, open your ports!! i can't remember which ones offhand maybe someone else can help out.
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    Oh yeah, I use Bit Tornado also, it's really easy to use, and you don't have to worry about fixing settings for it. At least I didn't have to!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,278
    and as jamnpearl said, don't d-load any illegal software. i've heard that some companies have a file integrated into the program than can tell them who "stole" their software.
    i'd stay away from the albums too. they are generally safe, but with the crackdowns on that, i usually stay away from them...not to say i haven't done it in the past, just probably not a good idea.
  • BitTorrent owns.
    -Justin

"Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age and beyond color...straight into the mind and heart of all people."~Ben Harper
  • another one for some great downloads...

bt.etree.org
    Oh help me, help me from myself!!!

Theres not going to be an accoustic version of Blood or anything like that, so feel free to sit down.
  • Get Azerues, it's the best BitTorrent client going.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Usenet is for the things you shouldn't d/l over a torrent. ;)
  • pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,225
    kristophed wrote:
    Get Azerues, it's the best BitTorrent client going.

I 2nd that!!!
  • Pardon my paranoia, but is there any threat of inadvertently downloading worms/virus/adware etc? I'd love to get me some concerts and what not, but not if it means compromising my computer. It had been hijacked once before - I'm not interested in going through that again!!
    For Rent
  • So here's yet another Bit Torrent question.

I've got Verizon DSL with a Westell wireless router/dls modem. I picked up Azureus as my bit torrent software. Ports 6881-9 give me NAT errors when I "test" them, indicating (I assume) that these ports aren't open. My questions are:

1) I'm trying to d/l some shows from The Sky I Scrape... I'm getting a d/l speed of about 30kbps... the fact that my ports are closed is slowing the d/l speed way down, isn't it? As far as I understand it, I can't share stuff (and therefore will have crappy d/l speeds) as long as these ports are not open. Actually, once I d/l a file, I automatically become a seed for as long as I leave Azureus open for, right? So, the longer I leave myself connected (and therefore the more I allow other people to d/l from me) the faster speeds I should expect?

2) Okay, so you answered yes to #1... now I need to open up these ports to be able to pick up my d/l speed. How do I open up the ports? I believe I need to do this through the firewall thats built into my router, correct? I've gotten as far as figuring out my router IP and have pulled up the screen to talk to my router, but have forgotten the username and password to be able to change my Firewall settings. Assuming I can remember those, am I on the right track to opening up the necessary ports?

3) What kind of security risks (if any) do I open myself up to by opening up these ports? I'm assuming I'm only allowing one way communication by opening up these ports (i.e. people can only download from me, but they can't upload stuff to my computer I don't request, right?).

Thanks for your help. I really want to get into trading shows (to further drive my coworkers crazy!) and this is the best way I see of doing so. I used to download stuff years ago, but haven't done so since college... so, I'm a bit rusty on all these new fangled toys you kids have for downloading stuff now :)