Options

Typing goes poof?

rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
edited January 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
Ahoy,

Every once in awhile I find myself unable to type in the post box. Nothing's wrong with my keyboard, as I can type in other forums, email, etc. in other tabs or pages. I believe this started after the upgrade. The workaround at this point is to log out and back in again - it seems to act as a 'reset'.

It just happened again in the 'shared birthdays' thread in AET. I posted, then wanted to edit but was unable to type anything, despite having the cursor in the box. I wasn't able to delete anything, either. Basically, it's like I have no keyboard.

Weird, eh?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yes, I have experienced this poofing phenomenon also. However it occurs when typing off the board as well so it's hard to isolate the issue...
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Things that make you go, hmmmmmm.

I am curious if your computer actually freezes up when this happens (can you still turn on and off your Number Lock?).

It could be so may numerous things....your keyboard could actually be dying. It could be a RAM issue. It could be a cookie issue (I think). If you think your keyboard is dying (yes, they do die), go buy a new keyboard (or use a different known working keyboard - shut your computer completely down when swapping keyboards) and see if that solves your problem. If your problem continues, try clearing out all cookies on the browser you use and reboot your computer....see if the problem continues. If your computer still acts like a fool after that....it may be a more serious memory (RAM) issue....in which place you would need to find someone (or research it yourself to learn how to do - it's really easy) to replace your memory in your system. RAM can cause some incredibly goofy, goofy issues that you at first (and second) don’t ever even think it could be a RAM issue...then it ends up being a RAM issue....so beware of messed up RAM. If all those things fail....update your Windows with Microsoft updates....update your virus definitions and scan your system for viruses and/or spyware-malware. Good luck. :)
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    rockpants wrote:
    Ahoy,

Every once in awhile I find myself unable to type in the post box. Nothing's wrong with my keyboard, as I can type in other forums, email, etc. in other tabs or pages. I believe this started after the upgrade. The workaround at this point is to log out and back in again - it seems to act as a 'reset'.

It just happened again in the 'shared birthdays' thread in AET. I posted, then wanted to edit but was unable to type anything, despite having the cursor in the box. I wasn't able to delete anything, either. Basically, it's like I have no keyboard.

Weird, eh?
    It's happened to me. When it does, I go to my notpad and type there. If it allows me to, it usually fixes the problem here. Sometimes I have to just disconnect from the internet and then type in my notepad and then hook back up to the internet.
    And yeah...its weird!!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    I'm on a 4-month old Mac, so thankfully this has nothing to do with Windows nincompoopery.

It happened again recently - on a different board, but it was also an vBulletin board, so perhaps it could be an issue with the board hosting?
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    That just happened with a PM I sent. I typed it correctly, I hit send, and inspected my sent items folder to make sure it went okay. The message was just the quoted message to which I was replying, with no reply.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    All of a sudden this has started happening to me too. I can be typing away in a reply box...then look up and realize that it stopped typing...even with the cursor in the box. I have to click on a different tab on my Mozilla browser...then go back to this tab to start typing again.
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    It's happened to me. When it does, I go to my notpad and type there. If it allows me to, it usually fixes the problem here. Sometimes I have to just disconnect from the internet and then type in my notepad and then hook back up to the internet.
    And yeah...its weird!!!

what's this thing about disconnecting from the internets? aren't you "always on"?

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    DarkStar wrote:
    what's this thing about disconnecting from the internets? aren't you "always on"?

ds
    LOL! No I really am not, just seems it. I am only here usually in the mroning. I have dial up, so yeah I disconnect.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    Oh crap, I just realized this thread was really old. Still, here's what i'd suggest. I have some experience with forum software, so these steps probably will work. If they don't, each computer is different. Or, it could be spyware, adware, whatever (if you're on Windows.)

Here's what i'd do. Doesn't matter what OS, browser, etc. you use.

Log out of the forums.
    Completely close browser
    Delete all cookies for pearl jam website, cache, the works.
    Restart browser
    Go straight to pearl jam forums
    Log back in.

Does that work?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    rockpants wrote:
    Ahoy,

Weird, eh?

click in the typing box ;)