Options

Eddie Vedder/Northwest Airlines World Traveler Article

KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I recently took Northwest Flight from Minneapolis to Philadelphia and in the company magazine there was an article by Elizabeth Oliver which totally sucked about Eddie Vedder and the newest song for "Into The Wild." Here is the article... tell me what you think?

Issue Date: January 2008, Posted On: 1/1/2008

Wild One
Elizabeth Oliver

Sounds

Alongside Nirvana's Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder became a reluctant figurehead of Seattle's grunge movement in the early '90s. Today, as then, Vedder sings the songs of angst and disillusionment that so characterize the Gen-X zeitgeist. In his latest project, Vedder scored the soundtrack for "Into the Wild," a film that tells the true story of an ill-fated young man who, in 1990 - around the time Pearl Jam debuted - abandoned what he saw as the stifling materialism of conventional life and hit the road.

After director Sean Penn asked Vedder to compose the movie's sound-track, Vedder read the bestselling Jon Krakauer book on which the film is based to learn more about the story's protagonist. "It wasn't hard for me to understand the kid," he says in the film's production notes. "I still feel so connected and have such strong memories of being at that age ...".

Vedder himself had a tough childhood growing up in Evanston, Ill., but found some solace in rock music. By age 25 he was in Seattle, fronting the newly formed Pearl Jam. In 1991, the band hit the mainstream with their first album, "Ten," which has gone on to become certified twelve times platinum.

Stylistically, the "Into the Wild" soundtrack is a departure for Vedder: Leaving behind hard rock and his band mates, he ventures solo into the realm of folk. Vedder says he looked for sounds and instruments - acoustic guitars, ukuleles and mandolins - that "fit the emotion" of the film. The track, "Hard Sun," is a cover but nonetheless captures the themes of escape - and ultimately, sorrow - that haunt the story. Listen to "Hard Sun" on select Northwest flights.

- Elizabeth Oliver

Pearl Jam
Search the Web

Search News
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Think what gave me bad attitude FIRST was the Kurt Cobaine name drop at the beginning of the article.
  • Options
    I recently took Northwest Flight from Minneapolis to Philadelphia and in the company magazine there was an article by Elizabeth Oliver which totally sucked about Eddie Vedder and the newest song for "Into The Wild." Here is the article... tell me what you think?

Wild One
    Elizabeth Oliver

Sounds

Alongside Nirvana's Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder became a reluctant figurehead of Seattle's grunge movement in the early '90s. Today, as then, Vedder sings the songs of angst and disillusionment that so characterize the Gen-X zeitgeist. In his latest project, Vedder scored the soundtrack for "Into the Wild," a film that tells the true story of an ill-fated young man who, in 1990 - around the time Pearl Jam debuted - abandoned what he saw as the stifling materialism of conventional life and hit the road.

After director Sean Penn asked Vedder to compose the movie's sound-track, Vedder read the bestselling Jon Krakauer book on which the film is based to learn more about the story's protagonist. "It wasn't hard for me to understand the kid," he says in the film's production notes. "I still feel so connected and have such strong memories of being at that age ...".

Vedder himself had a tough childhood growing up in Evanston, Ill., but found some solace in rock music. By age 25 he was in Seattle, fronting the newly formed Pearl Jam. In 1991, the band hit the mainstream with their first album, "Ten," which has gone on to become certified twelve times platinum.

Stylistically, the "Into the Wild" soundtrack is a departure for Vedder: Leaving behind hard rock and his band mates, he ventures solo into the realm of folk. Vedder says he looked for sounds and instruments - acoustic guitars, ukuleles and mandolins - that "fit the emotion" of the film. The track, "Hard Sun," is a cover but nonetheless captures the themes of escape - and ultimately, sorrow - that haunt the story. Listen to "Hard Sun" on select Northwest flights.

- Elizabeth Oliver

Pearl Jam
    Search the Web

Search News
    departure my ass!

fuck that!
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    tylerpjtxtylerpjtx Posts: 201
    she's just a lady that never really listens to pearl jam. everyone in that position always makes those comparisons.
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    She's not really wrong. The band has never released an album that is entirely made up of Driftin's, Around the Bend's, Elderly Woman's, Who You Are's, etc., which are the type of PJ songs that would be the closest to what Ed did for ItW.
    I really don't see the issue with the article. This is obviously an introductory piece aimed at a broad audience (say, the variety of folk who travel airlines, perhaps?) - not Pearl Jam fans. The inclusion of Kurt Cobain isn't anything to get upset about.

An inch is not a mile, a molehill is not a mountain, and so on. Perspective is in order.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I wasn't offended by the Cobain reference but it does seem like every article about Pearl Jam or anything Pearl Jam related has to throw in the Nirvana comparison. It gets a little old. Overall I agree, the article wasn't very good.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I don't think she was negative which was at least a good thing.

she probably just knows nothing about PJ and wanted to sound accurate which she was in the beginning about the band and Eddie.......etc.........

as for the rest, she probably just doesn't listen much to them........dork......
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i read it as she hasn't a very good idea what PJ is.
    the whole departing and leaving his band mates is a shitty
    writers way of saying it even tho it was stated as a solo venture.
    to my notion she's an office chic all rigid who has no clue what
    grunge actually is.
    she's using words she hasn't lived/experienced.
    this is merely my opinion.
    i could be way off base.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    chadwick wrote:
    grunge actually is.
    i could be way off base.

agreed, chaddy........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I don't really see a problem with this article. Why all this negativity about it?
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    You guys bitch about anythng
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    redrock wrote:
    I don't really see a problem with this article. Why all this negativity about it?

i guess the board has gotten sort of.....boring lately from what i hear. This stirs things up!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I was gonna post the same thing! I was shocked to see that on my last flight.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    :D I don't get it either... it's pretty much plagiarised every OTHER article written about the album :confused:

They ALL say the same thing unless the writer is apparently a fan who knows their stuff... but otherwise, yeh, I've gotten bored reading reviews.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Slip Kid wrote:
    You guys bitch about anythng

:D

So what if she doesn't know much about Pearl Jam. Just because we love them, doesn't mean everyone should.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    redrock wrote:
    I am right there with you. I don't get what the fuss is about i did not read anything negative.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options

So what if she doesn't know much about Pearl Jam. Just because we love them, doesn't mean everyone should.

and yet, it continues
  • Options
    Slip Kid wrote:
    and yet, it continues

yup.

• Options
    you should come to the Porch forum during tour time... oh what fun.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    This is a piece commissioned by the airline to introduce people to his music that is being featured on their inflight station.
    To read anything negative into what she said is taking the obsession a bit too far.
    The departure she is speaking of is his departure from what the "radio fan" would know of Ed and Pearl Jam.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    intodeep wrote:
    I am right there with you. I don't get what the fuss is about i did not read anything negative.

Neither did I... the lady writes for a fuckin' Northwest Airlines in-flight magazine. Did you actually think she was going to be commissioned to write a 25,000-word piece on the history of the band, complete with full background on each band member and THEN get into the solo Vedder stuff??? Think about the target audience for this magazine... people that don't know/care about Pearl Jam that are just thumbing through a magazine to kill some time or trying to find the crossword puzzle.

Not everything is a big conspiracy to keep PJ down... some of you folks gotta relax. :D
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:

Not everything is a big conspiracy to keep PJ down... some of you folks gotta relax. :D
    :D:D It is... it fuckin IS I tells ya!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    This is a piece commissioned by the airline to introduce people to his music that is being featured on their inflight station.
    To read anything negative into what she said is taking the obsession a bit too far.
    The departure she is speaking of is his departure from what the "radio fan" would know of Ed and Pearl Jam.

Exactly. The word "departure" is a staple amongst music reviews, too. Not exactly a new phrasing or anything.

I can hear it now ...
    WHAT?! I never saw anything stapled to any music reviews! LIAR!
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    That article never went anywhere...just a bunch of nothin'.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    I used to write for a friggen newspaper and as magazine at least she could have done better RESEARCH!!!!! Why the negativity with the Evanston thing... whom gives a shit... who hasnt had a tough life? I think it could have explored more into the Movie and the Music....
  • Options
    yeah, i see really nothing wrong with that too... and i may be way over interpreting this but i actually thought the "departure" thing was more of a pun..like she's takling about ITW, leaving things behind...arg, but maybe that's just me, i literally just came back from seeing the film
  • Options
    theres really nothing wrong with what she's saying in the article, the only problem is that the article is really lame, i've pooped better essays
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422

Wild One
    Elizabeth Oliver

Sounds

- Elizabeth Oliver

Pearl Jam
    Search the Web

Search News

Its from an airline magazine; do you expect it to have a high degree of expertise?

For this album, he did leave hard rock and his bandmates behind.

It may not be the most informative article, but there are no real falsehoods.
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    grunge actually is.
    i could be way off base.
    There is no such thing as "grunge". "Grunge" is a word money making people used to sell things and market artwork we call music.
  • Options
    jamie w wrote:
    There is no such thing as "grunge". "Grunge" is a word money making people used to sell things and market artwork we call music.

It was used in the first season of the t.v. show Roseanne. I believe they were talking about dirty socks.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    rockpants wrote:
    She's not really wrong. The band has never released an album that is entirely made up of Driftin's, Around the Bend's, Elderly Woman's, Who You Are's, etc., which are the type of PJ songs that would be the closest to what Ed did for ItW.
    I really don't see the issue with the article. This is obviously an introductory piece aimed at a broad audience (say, the variety of folk who travel airlines, perhaps?) - not Pearl Jam fans. The inclusion of Kurt Cobain isn't anything to get upset about.

An inch is not a mile, a molehill is not a mountain, and so on. Perspective is in order.

This is a very intellligent post. Impressive, Rockpants.