wifi and childrens health

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited August 2007 in Technical Stuff and Help
I've been a dad for three weeks now. My newborn son will soon enough take what used to be my work space as his room. Because of that I bought a laptop and went wireless, so I can use it around the house.

Only thing is that there are these warning signals about wireless networks being very dangerous for your health, especially for young children.

Even though I pull out the plug on the router when I'm not online, I still feel worried about it and I'm getting paranoid about it. I'm afraid I'm messing up my sons health from very early on.

What do you guys think? Is this bad parenting? Should I loose the wifi? Or should I stop being so concerned, seeing that cell phones are (supposed to be) much worse and my neighbours are wifi'ing anyway?

Silly post maybe, but I wanted to post it anyway...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it is fine to have WiFi constantly turned on! WiFi is essentially using a radio wave frequency that is far lower then a conventional table top radio. So if you find that you have concerns about table top radios then certainly disconnect your WiFi but otherwise your little person is fine! In reality (esp. countries like the USA, there is so much radio wave noise that if it were detrimental to peoples health we would have hardly outlasted the 50's)
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    casper. :) Don't panic! I know his welfare is of paramount importance to you right now because he's soooo new, but you won't break him! ;)

I think the fact that you're turning the wireless off is more than enough.

There will be so many things in the house that could potentially affect him, the microwave, the tv antennae, the electrical circuitry. I've always been very worried about this baby monitor business and wonder what the possible long term health effects are. I'm sure if you take as many adequate precautions as you can, he will turn out just fine.

If your wireless is anything like mine, it's not gonna work in half the house anyway! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift