Options

Firewall at work!

DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
edited July 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
Hey all,

I just started a new job a couple months ago (really love it here!). One annoying thing is that they limit access to the internet. Any sports or entertainment stuff I can\'t access. Its not like I spend all day on the internet, but I do like to spend 10 or 20 minutes getting my PJ news or my Leaf news. And I actually don\'t go for training till the end of August, so I don\'t have alot going on right now.

So I could still get on to here until yesterday, came in today and it was blocked. So right now I\'m using a proxy site to access this, but I\'m just wondering if anyone knows a good way to get around the firewall. Is there some way to use my home computer as a proxy or something? I noticed that along with this board, they\'ve blocked access to the proxy site I normally use. I\'m not computer illiterate or anything, but I\'m also no expert. I have no idea what the best way to get around this would be, but I\'m thinking it may involve connecting to my home computer or something like that.

Any info would be much appreciated! I just wanna spend a couple mintues each day getting my PJ news and talking to all the good people on here!
Thanks all,

Peace
:-p
"Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    ok try this:

1) Go here http://babelfish.altavista.com/

2) Type in the website in the bottom bit and just select chinese to english or something like that

3)Then click translate and you might be able to get through

It worked for my school firewall but they changed it as people found out.
  • Options
    Thanks Brisk, that kinda sorta works...at least I can see some stuff, but its definately not ideal.

Anyone else know anything about this? I would be forever in your debt!!!
    (I just need to get at least 5 or 10 minutes of my message pit fix during the day!)

Peace
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • Options
    boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    How about this for an idea.....do your personal web surfing at home, not on the company dime?.....or just go work somewhere else...what kind of a company doesn't want their employees playing on-line poker and so forth?
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    How about this for an idea.....do your personal web surfing at home, not on the company dime?.....or just go work somewhere else...what kind of a company doesn't want their employees playing on-line poker and so forth?

I ask for help, and this is what I get...thanks mom. How about this for an idea...butt out!

Like I said before, I have a new job and don't actually train for it till the end of August, so I have quite a bit of time where I'm doing absolutely nothing right now. So either I sit and read a book, which is what I do most of the time, or I come onto the pit and get my daily dose of PJ. I'm not playing on-line poker or any crap like that, just wanna spend 10 minutes perusing the pit is all.
    Any help would be appreciated, any useless comments like the one above will be ignored. ;)

Peace
  • Options
    boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    Just be thankful you get paid for doing nothing....that's a dream come true for a lot of the degenerates in this country. Maybe you better buddy up to the IT guy and maybe he can tell you how to get around the firewall. You know the IT guy is killing time in the chat rooms.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    have you tried anon tunnelling like this:

http://www.the-cloak.com/login.html

If I was your admin though, I spot it in a sec, but I've been administering networks since 1988... ;)
  • Options
    I always just VPN or use a the M$ rdp web client into one of my terminal servers on a different IP on another server but that might not be practical in your case.

lemme know how it works I got more
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    Hey all,

I just started a new job a couple months ago (really love it here!). One annoying thing is that they limit access to the internet. Any sports or entertainment stuff I can\'t access. Its not like I spend all day on the internet, but I do like to spend 10 or 20 minutes getting my PJ news or my Leaf news. And I actually don\'t go for training till the end of August, so I don\'t have alot going on right now.

So I could still get on to here until yesterday, came in today and it was blocked. So right now I\'m using a proxy site to access this, but I\'m just wondering if anyone knows a good way to get around the firewall. Is there some way to use my home computer as a proxy or something? I noticed that along with this board, they\'ve blocked access to the proxy site I normally use. I\'m not computer illiterate or anything, but I\'m also no expert. I have no idea what the best way to get around this would be, but I\'m thinking it may involve connecting to my home computer or something like that.

Any info would be much appreciated! I just wanna spend a couple mintues each day getting my PJ news and talking to all the good people on here!
    Thanks all,

Peace

hmm...well...even though you are not computer literate it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they blocked this site because they can SEE what you are doing. also, lending to that you are not computer literate...you have no idea what you are really asking and attempting to get yourself into. by repeatedly circumventing your company's web-filters you are merely marking yourself as an undesirable employee. put it this way, would you go to a meeting with your boss and the company's business partners/clients and attempt to put items on the agenda completely unrelated to company business?

if you can't get by without spending a "couple of minutes" reading PJ material at work maybe you aren't ready to work at this particular company...and if you do continue to seek ways around the filters…then don’t plan on working at this company too long.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I dunno about firewalls but I hope where I work doesn't block this site :eek: That would be traumatic to say the least! :eek:
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    I always just VPN or use a the M$ rdp web client into one of my terminal servers on a different IP on another server but that might not be practical in your case.

lemme know how it works I got more

I dunno WTF you just said "dude". And I'm actually sure I don't wanna know.

Once work blocks me from a site... I stop using it and stop looking for ways around my work. 'Cause I figure if I keep trying they'll take my 'net away completely. No matter how much I do or don't have.
  • Options
    have you tried anon tunnelling like this:

http://www.the-cloak.com/login.html

If I was your admin though, I spot it in a sec, but I've been administering networks since 1988... ;)

Tried that, the site is blocked :(

I should probably stop trying to find a way around it, cause our IT people seem to be good! But seriously, I have nothing to do at work for the next month, so it'd be nice to be able to have something to kill a little time...

Peace
  • Options
    DarkStar wrote:
    hmm...well...even though you are not computer literate it doesn't take a genius to figure out that they blocked this site because they can SEE what you are doing. also, lending to that you are not computer literate...you have no idea what you are really asking and attempting to get yourself into. by repeatedly circumventing your company's web-filters you are merely marking yourself as an undesirable employee. put it this way, would you go to a meeting with your boss and the company's business partners/clients and attempt to put items on the agenda completely unrelated to company business?

if you can't get by without spending a "couple of minutes" reading PJ material at work maybe you aren't ready to work at this particular company...and if you do continue to seek ways around the filters…then don’t plan on working at this company too long.

ds

You have it backwards. Any company that's that much of a tightass isn't worth working for in the first place. :D
  • Options
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    Tried that, the site is blocked :(

I should probably stop trying to find a way around it, cause our IT people seem to be good! But seriously, I have nothing to do at work for the next month, so it'd be nice to be able to have something to kill a little time...

Peace

can you get into the settings in internet exlorer? If so shoose a to different proxy server: tools, internet options, connections, lan settings...

There's tons of free ones out there. pop in some IP addresses and try assorted port numbers like 80, 8080 etc..
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    You have it backwards. Any company that's that much of a tightass isn't worth working for in the first place. :D

lol...this made me laugh. okay...but seriously...i can't even count how much time is wasted by employees surfing online where i work. i just don't get the whole browsing at work thing...i don't have time to do it. apparently other folks do.

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    oddly enough, as strict as my company can be regarding internet and email, they don't have this site blocked. you can't send an email with "creampuff" in it without it getting bounced. I can post on this site so long as I when I log-in, I set it to remember me. Otherwise, I can't post. Go figure. Wish I could help....
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!