Options

All or None at the Vic

epierce3epierce3 Posts: 77
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I'm supposed to be studying for my finals right now (I'm a junior at the University of Illinois) and I thought what better concert to play in the background than the relaxing benaroya hall benefit! All or None just came on and I just had a flashback to the performance at the Vic where the whole concert hall was singing in what seemed like one voice "To myself I, surrendeeeer!". I've never felt more connected with a group of people that big before; that was as close to a religious experience as I will ever have. I swear I'd cry if I weren't so manly.
United Center Chicago: 05.16.06, 05.17.06
Vic Theater Chicago: 08.02.07
Lollapalooza 2007: 08.05.07
Auditorium Theater Chicago (EV Solo): 08.22.08
United Center Chicago: 08.23.09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Hey man, nothing wrong with letting the tears flow at a pj show. It's happened to me. There's just so much emotion flowing through. The excitement of seeing your ALLTIME fave band up there playing and just letting it all soak in. Then of course there are those certain songs that are played that have a particular meaning to us that crying is simply natural. As you said, it's like a religious experience. Granted, I've only been able to see pearl jam twice cause they seem to hate Texas. Alas, the whole experience meaning crowd and all is just in it's own league. I mean I have a ball at every show I go to, for the most part. Seen a couple of disappointing live bands but it's all the same in the connection the music lover has with the band in the live scene, but PJ is just more intense especially on the emotions I know for me anyway.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    red mos wrote:
    but PJ is just more intense especially on the emotions I know for me anyway.

ditto.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    That was a moving performance.

At least, it sounded moving from the bootleg. :(

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    it was.....never thought I'd hear that as an opener.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Between the mentioned part in "All or None" and the "In Hiding" chorus from The Vic, it gave me that feeling of being all connected in such a big place.

To the original poster: I-L-L

EDIT: Also, what is it that Ed says before the chorus each time, it sounds like "George" instead of "but it's"
  • Options
    dirtyFrank222dirtyFrank222 Posts: 124
    I just had my best friend pass last month of a major stroke at 33yrs of age so the up comming shows should emotional to say the least.
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    Between the mentioned part in "All or None" and the "In Hiding" chorus from The Vic, it gave me that feeling of being all connected in such a big place.

it was an incredible experience...
    i'll never forget it.

i had this big stupid grin on my face all evening :D
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    it was an incredible experience...
    i'll never forget it.

i had this big stupid grin on my face all evening :D

the grin just came off last week for me.........
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    the grin just came off last week for me.........

Your grin came off?
  • Options
    Your grin came off?

I spoke to soon, I just checked and it is still there.
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586

In hiding at the vic was by far the best song I have ever seen live by the band. Every person in that place, from front row to the cleaning guy in the back was singing along to this one, such a cool moment among many from that show.
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options

In hiding at the vic was by far the best song I have ever seen live by the band. Every person in that place, from front row to the cleaning guy in the back was singing along to this one, such a cool moment among many from that show.

agreed
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I would have happily paid my money just to see those two songs perfomed that night. They were both surreal. All Or None is my fav song and I honestly thought I would never hear it live. Ever.

In Hiding was the best sing-along I have every seen by any band. Ever.

agreed. It's OK in Cleveland was great, Save it for later was great in Cincy, but DAMN, In Hiding at the VIC was a whole other level.
  • Options

To the original poster: I-L-L

I-N-I!

The two songs I went into the concert really wanting to hear were In Hiding and Undone, amazingly both of which made the setlist - I loved the In Hiding sing along too, when I was belting out the words I felt the whole room right there with me. I remember thinking "Fuck I think I just went to the best concert I will ever see" as I was walking out the door.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    All For None as an opener really threw me off. There were about six of us trying to guess the opener before the show, and it wasn't even a consideration. I was pretty blown away when I heard the opening chords and I knew we were in for one hell of a show!
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    still kicking myself for missing out on this.........damn ten club website
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    ERIC! GET BACK TO WORK!

P.S. i was done with finals last week

muahahahahaha
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    ERIC! GET BACK TO WORK!

P.S. i was done with finals last week

muahahahahaha

Sorry Sean we can't all be so artistically talented that we get to go to college for it. Four finals down as of today, last one's Thursday - still in the CU? Rock Band or Into the Wild listening party before summer? (I ordered the vinyl and my roommates all love it)
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    epierce3 wrote:
    Sorry Sean we can't all be so artistically talented that we get to go to college for it. Four finals down as of today, last one's Thursday - still in the CU? Rock Band or Into the Wild listening party before summer? (I ordered the vinyl and my roommates all love it)
    yah thatd be cool... like i said... i have nothing but time on my hands... i gotta stick around for my sisters graduation

and all my friends hated ITW because they cant stand eds voice... GRRRR
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/