Options

the getting to know you thread

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    1) My name is Jamie, I am 19 years old and I'm an alcoholic. Ahem... I mean, I am a student.

2) I am studying for an degree in english literature at one of the many colleges in the University of London.

3) I am a massive fan of film and hope to do some filmmaking at some point in the near future.

4) I support Glasgow Rangers FC, though my interest in football has waned in recent years. Even so, I am still a Gers man in my heart.

5) I play several instruments and have upwards of 200 recordings of original compositions, though none are available commercially as of yet.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    SENROCK! wrote:
    are u studying to learn HOW to paint and stuff? or are u learning ABOUT it like the history and such. Painting/drawing is my god given talent but ive always wondered if it was worth STUDYING. and agreed with your #3. :)
    i have always been good... its nice to be forced to practice more often though since the best way to improve is through experience... you also get the advice of your peers through critiques, chances for future career / art world networking, deeper conceptual understand and appreciation, etc... obviously i also get a good chunk of history (getting a minor in that just for kicks) but the bulk of it is studio time and then mandatory education courses

not sure if its worth the same tuition as someone getting an engineering degree... especially consider half my classes are taught by grad students... but its just what i love and i gotta get through this to get a job in the field...

id recommend it though for sure if you have the means and the skills

(ill post a picture of my PJ related final painting as soon as i finish it sometime this weekend... so keep a look out :D )
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    there are a lot of interesting people here.

lol, I am not one of them!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    libragirl wrote:
    I don't mean to intrude on your convo, but I don't think people can stop. I think it's a sickness. I knew one and I don't think he even knew what the damn truth was.

hey its all good, its an open discussion! i know a major liar thats been at it a lot of years. i tried getting them to change but its like it just aint happening. yet, they are one of the people i can say i love the most. its sadd.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632

Don't worry, Im not exciting either..but you don't seem very boring to me.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    libragirl wrote:
    I don't mean to intrude on your convo, but I don't think people can stop. I think it's a sickness. I knew one and I don't think he even knew what the damn truth was.

maybe those people don't want to stop, and why should they? if they don't think it's wrong and keeps everyone happy.

if for example the guy is cheating and can get away with it by lying,why should he be honest? and anyway then that guy is not only just a lier but compulsive cheater
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    sgossard3 wrote:
    2. I am studying painting and art education in order to be a H.S. art teacher

At U of I, right? I was an art major there my first year. :) Sometimes I wish I'd stayed in art rather than switching to rhetoric!
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:

I'm not a big liar at all really, but throughout my life there have been instances where i'll say something and it's either not true or it's highly exaggerated, and as soon as it comes out I'm like "why the f*ck did I say that?" never about anything really important, but it's really a disgusting feeling. maybe some people just do that sort of thing to a great extent, it just comes out and they can't help it.
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    maybe those people don't want to stop, and why should they? if they don't think it's wrong and keeps everyone happy.

if for example the guy is cheating and can get away with it by lying,why should he be honest? and anyway then that guy is not only just a lier but compulsive cheater

Well yes you are right. What would be the incentive to stop? Obviously they think they are getting away with it and probably are most of the time. Most of the time they are self-absorbed assholes that don't give a rat's ass about other's feelings.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options

I don't think you're boring.

I think I am, though. I'm trying to work on that. ;):D
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i have always been good... its nice to be forced to practice more often though since the best way to improve is through experience... you also get the advice of your peers through critiques, chances for future career / art world networking, deeper conceptual understand and appreciation, etc... obviously i also get a good chunk of history (getting a minor in that just for kicks) but the bulk of it is studio time and then mandatory education courses

not sure if its worth the same tuition as someone getting an engineering degree... especially consider half my classes are taught by grad students... but its just what i love and i gotta get through this to get a job in the field...

id recommend it though for sure if you have the means and the skills

(ill post a picture of my PJ related final painting as soon as i finish it sometime this weekend... so keep a look out :D )
    that makes ALOT of sense. im intrigued. And i would LOVE to see your painting! i am always afraid to post my stuff cuz there are SO many good artists here.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    SENROCK! wrote:
    awww you forgot to add how Limp Bizkit and KoRn are your fave bands!!!!
    Yup favorite band to smash the radio when I hear one of their songs ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options

oh no u are def interesting. :)

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    At U of I, right? I was an art major there my first year. :) Sometimes I wish I'd stayed in art rather than switching to rhetoric!
    yup! rhetoric?! OUCH!

i would regret switching too :D though yours is probably more employable....

what are you doing now for a job?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I'm not a big liar at all really, but throughout my life there have been instances where i'll say something and it's either not true or it's highly exaggerated, and as soon as it comes out I'm like "why the f*ck did I say that?" never about anything really important, but it's really a disgusting feeling. maybe some people just do that sort of thing to a great extent, it just comes out and they can't help it.

Oh yeah I have lied before..I think everyone tells a white lie every now and again. It's the pathological liars that are disturbing.

Jeez...I will stop derailing this thread. Sorry Mods. :eek:
  • Options
    I don't think you're boring.

I think I am, though. I'm trying to work on that. ;):D

yeah I'm trying to work on it too-but I'm having a REALLY hard time figuring out where to start. for past year or so I've been so pissed at myself that I never really learned to play guitar. I know the reasons why now, but it haunts me. everyone loves musicians, it's an accomplishment. and other stuff too- I have no skills or talents, all my interests are just passive- I like *other* people's art, I watch *other* people play sports, etc.
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    libragirl wrote:
    Oh yeah I have lied before..I think everyone tells a white lie every now and again. It's the pathological liars that are disturbing.

Yeah come on! Gosh I wanna learn about more people and you're ruining it. Geez...oh wait this isn't helping either.
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Yup favorite band to smash the radio when I hear one of their songs ;)

ugh. why cant u just be the nice guy like when we first met here. :D

1. korn is my 2nd fave band after pearl jam

2. i went to see christina aguilera and justin timberlake 3 days after a PEARL JAM show and wore PROUDLY a PEARL JAM tshirt :D

3. im allergic to nickel/metal/rust etc and can die

4. i HATE wearing dresses

5. i do NOT want to have kidz.

• Options
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    Yeah come on! Gosh I wanna learn about more people and you're ruining it. Geez...oh wait this isn't helping either.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I was....:p
  • Options
    yeah I'm trying to work on it too-but I'm having a REALLY hard time figuring out where to start. for past year or so I've been so pissed at myself that I never really learned to play guitar. I know the reasons why now, but it haunts me. everyone loves musicians, it's an accomplishment. and other stuff too- I have no skills or talents, all my interests are just passive- I like *other* people's art, I watch *other* people play sports, etc.

ok i THINK the last part of your post qualifies as 5 things about you! :eek: (in order to stay on topic)

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    yup! rhetoric?! OUCH!

i would regret switching too :D though yours is probably more employable....

what are you doing now for a job?

Well, don't get me wrong. I love writing. I just sort of wish I could have done painting along with it..but the good old U of I doesn't really allow you to do that, do they? ;)

It is pretty employable, actually. Right now I am actually staying home with a toddler, but before I had her I worked as a marketing coordinator for a big law firm in Chicago.
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    ok i THINK the last part of your post qualifies as 5 things about you! :eek: (in order to stay on topic)

touche!

(not very interesting things though :))
  • Options
    EvilMerlin wrote:

1. im happy that this is the most ive seen EvilMerlin post in one day.....
    2. i freakin LOVVVVVE shortbread girlscout cookies

3. everytime i see a corvette i get weak and chills as if i just saw the hottest guy in the world

4. EvilMerlin is an incredible friend to me

5. i hate chinese food

• Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    SENROCK! wrote:
    lukin66 get yourself in here and post some info!!!!! :D and bring paperplates.......and illegal pants! :eek:
    fine fine fine
    I dunno about paperplates though, I think he's just lurking (or making another magazine cover)
    1) I speak Japanese (decently, not yet fluent)
    2) I need a new tattoo (uhhhh....like now, too)
    3) I live in Seattle and have yet to see anyone from Pearl Jam
    4) My cat is a bona fide crackhead
    5) I'll be spending next week in Las Vegas
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options

I've been really passive with my own talents and interests. It's really irritating and I get so mad at myself when I think about it.

Well I have aaaallll kinds of art supplies, just sitting in a room in my house, waiting to be used. And I don't do anything with them. I'm actually a pretty good fiction writer, but I haven't fucking written anything in months. Ugh. Now I'm getting mad just thinking about this...lol.
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:
    Well yes you are right. What would be the incentive to stop? Obviously they think they are getting away with it and probably are most of the time. Most of the time they are self-absorbed assholes that don't give a rat's ass about other's feelings.

and why would they? i mean what is so good about this one ;)

http://www.ratsasses.com/images/Ratass.jpg :D
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    1. im happy that this is the most ive seen EvilMerlin post in one day.....
    2. i freakin LOVVVVVE shortbread girlscout cookies

3. everytime i see a corvette i get weak and chills as if i just saw the hottest guy in the world

4. EvilMerlin is an incredible friend to me

5. i hate chinese food

You think my dad is hot!!! :eek:

Oh and Korn? really? Bakerfield represent!
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:

i don't mind it, go on....be a rebel :) hehe

oh, if only i could be a Mod i would let people get away with murder in here this place would've been total chaos...

ahem...anyway back to the topic :o
  • Options
    Lukin66 wrote:
    fine fine fine
    I dunno about paperplates though, I think he's just lurking (or making another magazine cover)
    1) I speak Japanese (decently, not yet fluent)
    2) I need a new tattoo (uhhhh....like now, too)
    3) I live in Seattle and have yet to see anyone from Pearl Jam
    4) My cat is a bona fide crackhead
    5) I'll be spending next week in Las Vegas

yay!!!
    ok what kind of tattoo? while in vegas get one done at Vince Neil Ink! I'll design it for you. (if u want)
    seattle. the SPACE NEEDLE!!!!! :D

• Options
    genie wrote:
    i don't mind it, go on....be a rebel :) hehe

oh, if only i could be a Mod i would let people get away with murder in here this place would've been total chaos...

ahem...anyway back to the topic :o

Total chaos is tons of fun! I nominate you for a rebellious takeover of the mods.