Options

Debate with myself: 10C or TM next time???

AnthonyD1987AnthonyD1987 Boston, MA Posts: 347
edited June 2008 in The Porch
So I stupidly waited all these years (I'm only 20 mind you) to join the 10C back in April of this year. My number is 419xxx and the presales for all the shows this tour were done by the time I signed up.

Now here's the debate I'm going to have with myself for next time, and I would love to get an idea of what route I should take. Should I factor in the possible hundreds or thousands of people that tend to let their memberships expire? I went onto the Touring Fans website and checked out the tickets that some people were getting with numbers similar to mine, and they weren't bad. So, I'm guessing that by next time, say mid 09 or so, a lot of those people might be gone. I think a new album or world tour might add a lot of new numbers too. I also seem to hear of a lot of older people saying their number expired and they had to renew it, so I'm holding out some hope.

OR, do I go the Ticketmaster/Stubhub/Craigslist/Message Board extras route. Let me preface that option with a side note. I've been very lucky with said options. For Boston 2 in 2006 I managed to score a 12th row Floor seat. And for MSG 2 this year I managed to score 2 front row seats behind the stage. I've never paid above face when I've used the latter 3 choices, and have managed to do pretty good for myself in terms of location of seats. The only drawback I've encountered AS OF NOW with Ticketmaster is all the fees, finding the decent seats hasn't really been an issue. I also know I can't get as lucky as I've gotten every time either.

Is my logic for the expiring numbers somewhat correct, or am I just having pipe dreams? I still kick myself everyday for not signing up in like 2005 or 2006. My number wouldn't be that much better, but it would make some difference. I'm trying to see what would get me better seats. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
492xxx

2006: Boston 1 and 2
2008: MSG 1 and 2, Mansfield 1 and 2
2010: Boston
2012: Made in America Philly
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    asked this question recently myself. Ive been a fan since 94 but only have just joined 10 club.
    I was told that even the worst ten club seats are better than standard sales seats.
    hope that helps
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,179
    Personally, I'd go with ticketmaster. with a 419xxx number, your seats are not going to be anything special, unless you hit the lottery.

Exception is for special events or limited seating. Those events are few and far between, but worth the price of your 10c membership alone. The trick is actually being able to checkout with tix in your cart.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    if i were you (and im in a somewhat similar boat, 20 y.o. 311xxx) i would work on making some friends around here... theres tons of great PJ fans here on the board and people are always looking to split a pair of 10C tix :D

plus theres always the chance that you might get lucky with the lottery
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    With all the stress of getting tix...& then them fucking up & you missing shows or part of shows...I'd seriously consider using TM if you have a crappy #, as your seats will suck anyway...at least you'll get to the show with a ticket in hand & be worry-free. I'm a long-time member & got screwed this tour & last so I'm considering the TM route next time around as well. I'd rather have crappy seats than get to the venue & have none...or miss half the fucking show.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    AnthonyD1987AnthonyD1987 Boston, MA Posts: 347
    Thanks for the help. If anyone else can contribute to this, I'd also appreciate it. Thanks.
    492xxx

2006: Boston 1 and 2
    2008: MSG 1 and 2, Mansfield 1 and 2
    2010: Boston
    2012: Made in America Philly
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    keep your membership
    it allows you a shot at "you must be a member" sales

I play all the angles-buy 10C tix, and check what is out there through other sources.

I use whichever are the best. You want to guarantee yourself great seats?
    Pay the scalpers. Otherwise no guarantee. Ask the 164xxx guys about that.
  • Options
    definitley keep your membership, My # is 328XXX something like that, but I have friends with better #'s and usually go with one of them, So I never use my # for tics, If for some reason they don't go or get tics I go the craigs list route or here on the PIT people are always around with extras :)
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    Even if you don't purchase tickets, it's nice to always have the option through 10C... what if they do a 10C only show? As well, if you're a collector of vinyls or posters, or a wearer of tour merch, $25 for membership (hopefully) isn't too big of a deal.
    Edit: On top of all that, who's to say they won't increase the amount of lottery seats next tour? It sure made a hell of a lot of people happy this time around.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ItIsEvolutionBabyItIsEvolutionBaby Rogers, AR Posts: 397
    keep your 10c membership....i was lucky to get floor seats both msg nights with my 218xxx number.
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    I'm definitely a believer in the 10C.

I've been a member for over 5 years (275xxx). So not great, but not such a bad number either.

I was a touch worried about my seats in NY, but they turned out to be great (section 45, 46, first row). IMO much, much better than being half way back on the floor.

I'm not sure where the 400xxx people were sitting, but i say go with 10C...if that fails, then use TM. That would be my strategy.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    a
    I was told that even the worst ten club seats are better than standard sales seats.

Ticketmaster released much better seats than mine in DC the day of the show. My number is somewhere in the 306 range. I will only buy Tickemaster and scalpers for arena shows from now on. Otherwise, I will just go into my bathroom, stare at a picture of some guy's back and turn a bootleg up to 11. The seat would be much more affordable and the sound would probably be better with less echo.

For amphitheater shows though, I will still use the fan club tickets.
  • Options
    I would jump on ticketmaster the day of the onsale just to see what pops up. Tickets released day of the show are always fantastic. In Buffalo '03, my buddy got a seat in the 3rd row in the bowl right next to the stage, Mike's side.
    I like bands.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    I've been a fan from the beginning back in '92. However since I was in the military and overseas during the early years, it was difficult to keep up with any type of memberships. Now fast forward 10 year later and being tired of getting screwed by TM with shitty seats to every show, I finally decided that I would sign up for the 10c.

As the '03 tour approached my member number wasn't great at all for the time (#267xxx) so I didn't expect to get primo seats or anything but I was definitely expecting for them to be better than the "lawn" seats I typically got shafted with.

To my surprise, '03 was one of the greatest PJ tour experiences of my life as I had decent tickets to my hometown show that year and actually got front row tickets to the Vegas show that year as well!!!

I haven't had front row seats since then, but I've always been satisfied with my tickets that were purchased through the 10c.

So I would recommend to definitely keep your 10c membership. Yes your seats probably won't be "stellar", but more than likely they'll be better than what you could pull from TM in most cases. And as someone else said, you should keep it just for the special offers where a membership is required to participate.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
    in west palm beach i got section 6 (not the best) with 419xxxx number, if i bought tm im sure would founded better seats
    11.09.05 Kitchener
    22.11.05 Santiago
    23.11.05 Santiago
    11.06.08 West Palm Beach
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    $20 a year is really not a big deal at all for adding another option for tickets. I'll bet there are a number of people who spend that in one night on beer or one week on coffee. That being said I don't expect a red carpet into the venue with a gold seat next to Jeff's amp just because I paid $20/yr for a membership. For such a low price, I believe we get a fair shake.

TM ticket sales are gone in seconds in hot markets like NYC, why not take advantage of everything available to you? Besides, Ticketmaster gives all the good tickets to the scalpers anyway. And I'm not paying Madonna prices ($350) to go see rock 'n roll.

Another thing to consider is that 10c is always improving. It's not some label-run, corporate fan club that couldn't care less about the fans beyond their budgets and bottom lines. So I expect things to only get better as far as the ticketing system is concerned. They already do a helluva lot of work for the 10c and I appreciate it. It's not 100% perfect but what is? At least they are trying and everyone here knows that their heart is in the right place. Pearl Jam clearly doesn't do anything they don't want to and they want their fans at the shows, feeling good, and enjoying the music. No one can argue with that.

So don't give up on the 10c just yet. I trust them 1000x more than Ticketmaster.
    Sam