Options

Summer trip to Ontario

DuckersDuckers Posts: 11
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Im planning a trip to Canada in the summer. Ive been twice before basically doing the same trip in summer then in winter.

I need a few ideas of places to visit. Im starting in Toronto and working my way down to Niagara Falls in the first week then back up to Toronto in the 2nd week.

I followed the coastline of Lake Ontario on my last trips. I need some ideas, I was thinking of Kitchener and London.

Anyone beent the these places or even live there that can give me some ideas of where to visit.

Thanks in advance

Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    hi!
    my initial thoughts are that a full week to get to Niagara Falls is too long... it's only a 1.5 hour drive, and even just a day trip from Toronto to Niagara Falls and back is doable.

Having said that though, Niagara-on-the-lake is a beautiful little town just outside of the Falls, with tons of wineries. Lots of B&B's. I would recommend staying overnight there, and doing a wine tour.

I went to Univeristy in Kitchener/Waterloo... fun town. good bars. not much else to see unless you go in October for Oktoberfest.

Honestly, I would head the other direction, to Ottawa. At least there's stuff to see there.... Parliament buildings, museums, art galleries, etc...

2 weeks is a long time, and i think you cover more territory than just Niagara Falls....

Hope this helps!!
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    i would head to ottawa as well. i played hockey there for a half season and it was fun. theres not a whole lot to do at niagra falls, once you actually see the falls.

go to a blue jays baseball game in toronto.
  • Options
    timrothtimroth Posts: 215
    I live in waterloo and there isnt alot of tourist stuff around...maybe the St.Jacobs market. The bars are mostly for the younger university crowd. I am 30 and I feel like an old man going into the university bars. Maybe thats your scene, great eye candy.
  • Options
    thanks for the help guys. Im 35 so i would probably feel very old in the university bars.

I am going in the direction of Toronto to Niagara due to the fact im hoping to emmigrate to that part of Canada. So me and wifey are looking at areas where we would like to settle. We have friends in Grimsby and my grandfather was born in Hamilton so i would like to go around that area.

The past trips we have stayed in Burlington and Oakville and basically had a night in each place along the route to Niagara. I agree with the line about not much to do in Niagara once youve seen the falls. Niagara on the Lake is a nice place to sit and relax. I think we are planning a night there with our Grimsby friends.

I was also thinking of heading towards Lake Erie. Maybe a night in Fort Erie but ive heard some bad reviews of some of the places on the Erie coastline.

Im also hoping to catch a Toronto FC game too. I wish the MLS would hurry up and release the season games. Theyve only put up the first few weeks so far.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    phew ... good thing you qualified this as a scouting trip!

the north erie shoreline is ok ... long pt might be worth a stop if its a nice day but really there really isn't much stuff outside of the major centres ...

if you kinda put what you are looking for in terms of place to live - maybe we could help ...
  • Options
    im just looking for somewhere cheap and cheerfull to settle. I would like to be within travelling distance of my friends in Grimsby. Stoney Creek seemed ok. Hamilton was ok apart from the smell and the old people who like to run over you in their motorised wheel chair things.

I dont really care where i move as from what ive seen on my last 2 trips the Canadian people are the most friendly people i think ive met.

I wouldnt like to settle in somewhere like Niagara on the Lake. Bit too quiet for my liking. more of a nice place to visit than to live there.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    well ... i'm gonna assume that whatever work you may or may not have to do - you can do anywhere - niagara on the lake is nice ... so, is Guelph ... it's a more progressive town and all of those places are within an hour or so of big city stuff ...

good luck
  • Options
  • Options
    Muskokas...

I spend all my time in the summer up there booting around on all the various lakes..

Georgian bay is incredible on a jetski, very wild and rugged. Islands everywhere.

The further north you go, the more opulent it all becomes.

The waters of Temagami are like champagne.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")