Options

Rick Reilly leaving SI

LedbetterusLedbetterus Posts: 592
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
For anyone who cares, Rick Reilly, one of the greatest, if not greatest sports writer in history (one man's opinion, mine) is leaving Sports Illustrated for ESPN the Magazine.

He has written the back page story in SI for as long as I can remember. I open specifically to his article every time I get my magazine in the mail. Today I was in some shock when I saw he was leaving.

I suggest for anyone even semi-interested into sports to check out his archive here:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/rick_reilly/archive/index.html

Either you'll laugh or cry. Amazing writer and humanitarian. That list only goes back to 2005, and I can't seem to find a full list of all of his stuff. I'm still looking. EDIT: Apparently a lot of his columns in the SI.com archive don't work... I just looked a few months ago and it had more columns and they all worked.. so I guess SI is either pissed or had to legally take them down now.. Not sure..

His new website is this:
http://www.rickreillyonline.com/

He's also going to be doing some work for ESPN network and ABC Golf. He's going to be hosting a new show as well.

Also, if you're into books, I've read two of his. His best (I haven't yet read his newest) is by far 'Missing Links'. It's about a bunch of golfers on a public course. Pretty damn funny if you ask me. Caddy Shack meets Tin Cup meets Happy Gilmore meets every other movie based on golf. It's loosely based on the Bethpage state golf course in New York (one of the few public courses to host the open, if not the only one).

Pick up 'Missing Links' if you like his columns, you won't be disappointed.

I'll probably drop my SI subscription for ESPN the Mag now that Reilly is gone, as it was the only thing I really looked forward to. Anyway, hope you check out his stuff.

Thanks Rick!
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    yea this was announced in october

but thanks!
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    I'd heard he was leaving a while back but I'm going to miss his column in SI. It is always my first read each week when it comes. I hope he keeps the same style at ESPN. I subscribe to both so I'll still get his column (I subscribe to ESPN the Magazine for free Insider).
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    One thing I like about him: When asked why he jumped from SI to ESPN, his response was "The money was just ridiculous" How often do you hear "Oh, it's not about the money"

Oh, and SI may be losing Reilly, but they're adding Dan Patrick
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    One thing I like about him: When asked why he jumped from SI to ESPN, his response was "The money was just ridiculous" How often do you hear "Oh, it's not about the money"
    You gotta love the honesty.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    I haven't picked up a SI since the swimsuit issue from my teen years
  • Options
    Don't you think it's funny that all sportswriters want to be TV personalities and all TV personalities want to be sportswriters? But with the $$ being thrown around to sportswriters to appear on TV today, who can blame them.