Has Anybody Here Ever Played Disc Golf?

g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
edited October 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I just got back from playing 27 holes of Disc Golf with my 12 year old daughter. Sometimes running sometimes walking it's lots of fun but man am I ever beat. I'm odering a new 5 disc bag set and one that illuminate near dark.

Here's a bit more on Disc Golf and it's Rules

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LesbelgesLesbelges Posts: 434
    Frisbee Golf (Frolf) is a lot of fun. I need to start playing it again!
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    There used to be a park close to where I grew up that had a course setup. But when I was around 12, southern california being as dumb as they are...pulled it out of the parks, and were acting as if they were cleaning up the ghetto by taking out all the parks where the "hoodlums" ran, and building small lot homes.

So I used to play as a kid with my friends, until I was about 12. Never played since.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    as a kid in the 70's i went to a summer camp that was held in a large park/wilderness area right next to jpl....one summer i show up for camp and there are these metal baskets all over the place....it was the first frisbee golf course in the world....i played a couple times.....it's fun! :D

http://www.ogdgc.org/
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I just played this weekend. Found a course by my house, supposed to be the best one in the state...it's been there for 25 years or so.

Would love to play a game if anybody local plays. I'm not the best since I've only played a few times but, it's a great course for beginners and expert players. Has 2 water hazards, 20 baskets, and a snack and pro shop on site. They even move the baskets regularly. I'd like someone to teach me to throw overhand...maybe I'll do better that way.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Love disc golf. Bought disc catcher for front yard to practice short game. They also sell floaters so if you play on course with water features worth it. Nothing like getting up early and playing with friends and family. Cheap, courses are mostly free and discs are cheap. Bring soft cooler or flask . So much better than traditional golf and no one will give you shit for wearing anything you want including pj shirts.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    callen said:

Love disc golf. Bought disc catcher for front yard to practice short game. They also sell floaters so if you play on course with water features worth it. Nothing like getting up early and playing with friends and family. Cheap, courses are mostly free and discs are cheap. Bring soft cooler or flask . So much better than traditional golf and no one will give you shit for wearing anything you want including pj shirts.

Oohh! Did not know about the floaters...I saw a 'catcher' that will pick up discs off the bottom of the hazard, good to know! :thumbup:

The course I played is pretty big, we did have beverages, I'm going to make a disc bag and get a few 'misprint' discs until I get better. I need to practice distance throwing.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Just played in a tournament yesterday as a novice and it was super fun even though I had the worst score - but there was a prize for that and I walked away with 4 high quality discs that I didn't have before. Stoked that they are building a course in my village and I won't have to drive 20 mins to get to the course anymore.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • I play Disc Golf 3-4 times a week. I started about 2 years ago and I have about 10 courses within 45 min from my house. http://www.dgcoursereview.com is a great site to find local courses.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

There used to be a park close to where I grew up that had a course setup. But when I was around 12, southern california being as dumb as they are...pulled it out of the parks, and were acting as if they were cleaning up the ghetto by taking out all the parks where the "hoodlums" ran, and building small lot homes.

So I used to play as a kid with my friends, until I was about 12. Never played since.

Anaheim had a pretty good course years ago but since I've moved back to the east coast I dnt know if it's still there. I know long beach has a big course off of willow I believe. Right before stearns ave.

I play Disc Golf 3-4 times a week. I started about 2 years ago and I have about 10 courses within 45 min from my house. http://www.dgcoursereview.com is a great site to find local courses.

where the fuck have you been hiding?!?!!? Do you go to Lakewood?

- Christopher McCandless
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I last played with my daughter again two years ago down here at Oklaheelee Park, FL. I think it had 19 holes, I played under par for the entire round. It helps I'm pretty good at tossing a frisbee. The best part was along the course we 5 discs people lost or ended up in lakes. Nice find I totally forgot about this post of mine.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• a5pja5pj Posts: 3,880
    Played a few times with my brother in law up in PA. He tells me there's a bunch of really nice courses here around Raleigh NC but I haven't gone to check em out.

Very fun though, and like real golf, it's tough to get a good score.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,989
    I used to play a lot when I lived in WV and Pittsburgh, then moved to Virginia. There's a course here, a real narrow course with deep woods, much different then I was used to. Lost four discs in one afternoon and haven't built up the tolerance to try again yet.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024