Options

How Good Is Your BALANCE?

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Testing for Equilibrium

Marilyn Moffat and Carole B. Lewis, physical therapists in New York and Washington, respectively, agree with Mr. McCredie that “balance is an area of physical fitness that is often overlooked,” but they seek to correct that in their recent book “Age-Defying Fitness” (Peachtree Publishers). They define balance as “the ability of your body to maintain equilibrium when you stand, walk or perform any other daily activity” like putting on pants, walking on uneven ground or reaching for something on a shelf.

Dr. Moffat and Dr. Lewis suggest starting with a simple assessment of your current ability to maintain good balance. With a counter or sturdy furniture near enough to steady you if needed, perform this test:

1. Stand straight, wearing flat, closed shoes, with your arms folded across your chest. Raise one leg, bending the knee about 45 degrees, start a stopwatch and close your eyes.

2. Remain on one leg, stopping the watch immediately if you uncross your arms, tilt sideways more than 45 degrees, move the leg you are standing on or touch the raised leg to the floor.

3. Repeat this test with the other leg.

Now, compare your performance to the norms for various ages:

¶ 20 to 49 years old: 24 to 28 seconds.

¶ 50 to 59 years: 21 seconds.

¶ 60 to 69 years: 10 seconds.

¶ 70 to 79 years: 4 seconds.

¶ 80 and older: most cannot do it at all.

If you are wise, whatever your age, you will want to strive for the norm of those younger than 50.

I going to test my 90 years young patient tomorrow and report how well he did. Here's the full story from the NY Times @ Preserving A Fundamental Sense: BALANCE and I did 27 seconds on the right and 22 on the left. I'm going to the doctor in the AM for a continiously swollen ankle. Key stay relaxed.

How well is your balance and how well do you think you can do?

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)