Options

Meeting the parents...

urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
edited August 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok, so next week I'm meeting Harmless's parents for the first time. We're just meeting up for coffee, and it's all going to be pretty informal and relaxed, but I'm nervous as hell! :o

I haven't been in this situation for over 17 years, and the butterflies have started already...

Any hints or tips on how to chill out over this?
A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Irish coffee! :D
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I tried my best with my last GF parents, but they didn't like me. I guess it was because I wasn't some church going, good ol' boy Redneck, but a no good Catholic Italian Yankee instead.

I guess that doesn't help you what so ever. Just be yourself and everything will work itself out.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Options
    fowls wrote:
    Irish coffee! :D
    Yay! :D Good call

Hold on.....for them or me?

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Just be yourself :)
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    the first time I met my boyfriend's parents (my husband's), was when he took me to stay at their house when we went to his high school reunion. They live 2 hours from us. I think his mom did not like me. We were there a few days. The second day she commented that I washed my hair every day and that she had better things to do like re paint her cabinets. That was 1991 and I think the cabinets were not touched.

I agree, just be yourself.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Yay! :D Good call

Hold on.....for them or me?
    Irish for you, valium for them.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Irish for you, valium for them.
    Thanks J, boost my confidence why don't ya? :p

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Met my new gf's parents a couple of months ago (first time for me in about 10 years meeting the parents) and I was just myself and that was more than enough for them. They see how happy their daughter and I are together and how happy we make each other and that's all they needed to know. Best of luck! I'm sure it will go quite well! :)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Met my new gf's parents a couple of months ago (first time for me in about 10 years meeting the parents) and I was just myself and that was more than enough for them. They see how happy their daughter and I are together and how happy we make each other and that's all they needed to know. Best of luck! I'm sure it will go quite well! :)
    I hope I have a similar experience and they can see how good we are together. Its been a long time since I had to do any of this stuff, but I hope thats a good thing.
    The nerves are getting to me, but I keep telling myself that they're his parents and he's fantastic, so they must be great too. :)

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    disconnecteddisconnected Posts: 2,875
    Be carefull with the cat.... be prepared of lie detectors... no climbing on rooftops... no fires... no waterpolo.... and everything will be o.k.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Met my in-laws 11 ago. Took them out. Just be overconfident and make them feel like you are on the ball. My father in law told me later that he knew I was the one.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    I met zoso's parents a couple of days after I met him for the first time :eek: Talk about overwhelming! I wasn't even sure if we would click...and I was nervous what they'd think about the age difference. It went great though - his parents are awesome - especially his mom - and they were happy seeing him happy. I think if Harmless' parents have seen even a little bit of how happy he seems with you they will instantly love you! So just relax and let them see the person Harmless fell in love with :)

I had met my ex's parents 13 years ago and that went swimmingly cause they don't speak English and I don't speak Polish :p I highly recommend dating someone's who's parents speak a different language - makes it practically impossible to stick your foot in your mouth ;)
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    Mark: "Mum, Dad... this whole girlfriend thing... it was kind of a front. I really brought you to this coffee shop to tell you... well, I'm gay."

Mum: "... Oh... Well, I guess--"

Mark: "Just kidding! Here's Sarah!"

Boom: you're set. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Mark: "Mum, Dad... this whole girlfriend thing... it was kind of a front. I really brought you to this coffee shop to tell you... well, I'm gay."

Mum: "... Oh... Well, I guess--"

Mark: "Just kidding! Here's Sarah!"

Boom: you're set. :D
    Hahaha! I'm going to see if I can get Mark to go for that plan :D

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Hahaha! I'm going to see if I can get Mark to go for that plan :D
    It was the better of my two ideas: the other was for you guys to elope the night before. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    It was the better of my two ideas: the other was for you guys to elope the night before. :p
    LOL :D

It's a million to one chance, but it might just work.....

:p

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    good luck!

I met my husband's parents for the first time after our plans to fly out there got all messed up, and the plane had our luggage, but no space for us, so our bags went to Michigan, and we were stuck in philly with no chance of a new flight for days, so we drove, and we arrived a whole day later, dirty in the same gross clothes as the day before. I was mortified, but they have me a big fluffy towel, and after a good shower, I started the meeting over!