Terry Pratchett fans..?

2»

Comments

• Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I read this in the paper on Friday...:(

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/13/terry_prachett_alzheimers/

Oh man. Why does life have to suck so bad....:(

I have been reading his books since I was 14yrs old. I know it's not the end of the world, but it's pretty shitty all the same.

Yeah, this is sad news. It sounds like he's taking the news in the best possible way, but at 59 it is way too early. Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, and Christopher Moore have been my favorite writers of the last few years.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Hmm, Good Omens, something about a smooth talking human loving demon and a motorway shaped like a spellform or something ?? I'm really confused here. I have read so many books over the years, and I have other associations with the name Crowley, the creepy human guy who had that cult that Jimmy Page was interested in, and some stuff by that other great author, whose name I can't remember ( ABarat, Weaveworld) that is muddling me. Clive barker, hat's him !! Remember the crazy angel wandering the desert that used to be Eden, set to guard by God and forgotten, and gone totally barmy.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Hmm, Good Omens, something about a smooth talking human loving demon and a motorway shaped like a spellform or something ?? I'm really confused here. I have read so many books over the years, and I have other associations with the name Crowley, the creepy human guy who had that cult that Jimmy Page was interested in, and some stuff by that other great author, whose name I can't remember ( ABarat, Weaveworld) that is muddling me. Clive barker, hat's him !! Remember the crazy angel wandering the desert that used to be Eden, set to guard by God and forgotten, and gone totally barmy.

Good Omens, Crowley is the human loving demon. and the motorway is shaped like an infernal spell. It's an awesome book! The best of Pratchett and Gaiman. My copy is so battered it's held together with love and sticky tape :D

And I love Douglas Adams' too but for different reasons to Pratchett.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Good Omens, Crowley is the human loving demon. and the motorway is shaped like an infernal spell. It's an awesome book! The best of Pratchett and Gaiman. My copy is so battered it's held together with love and sticky tape :D

And I love Douglas Adams' too but for different reasons to Pratchett.

I wonder if I have it? I'll take a banananananananana and some peanuts and head to the library later to see if I can liberate it from L space.
    I'm sure I have read it, but it must have been years ago. I have a bad habit of pouncing on the latest Pratchett as soon as the hard covers hit the shelves, as well as buying lots of books, so there are more than a few shelves to hunt through.
    I have whole sets of things I am thinking of either selling, or loaning out on a library system to worthy destinations.
    Love and sticky tape, I like that. Never could understand people who cared too much for the paper, it's the words that matter.
    My battered old copy of LOTR has been read about 20 times, but I've not made it through the flash hardback copy once.

Nanny Ogg is one of my favourite characters, as well as Angua, Grebo )both forms), Carrot of course, Death goes without saying, Scrofula as a demon is the tits, esp since as a doctor, I often diagnose people with scrofula just to scare them into silence, it always bluffs em with terror, Cohen, Truckle teh Uncivil, cos I'm just a tad like the lovemaker.
    Have to say Witches Abroad is probably the funniest with the stunned vampires, drunken Esmerelda telling off the bulls and the terrorised card sharps. Love the black irony in SMall Gods, probably a bit too pointy for most people.
  • Options
    Death is my favourite character, The Hogfather is my favourite book.
    Vimes comes a close second, I love his cynicism and all the city watch books are ace.
    The first Pratchett I ever read was Wyrd Sisters so all the witches have a special place in my heart, Witches Abroad is probably my favourite of those too.
    Small Gods is very good, as is Moving Pictures.
    And I love The Wee Free Men :D
    Have you ever read any of Pratchetts non-Discworld stuff? Apart from Good Omens?

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Death is my favourite character, The Hogfather is my favourite book.
    Vimes comes a close second, I love his cynicism and all the city watch books are ace.
    The first Pratchett I ever read was Wyrd Sisters so all the witches have a special place in my heart, Witches Abroad is probably my favourite of those too.
    Small Gods is very good, as is Moving Pictures.
    And I love The Wee Free Men :D
    Have you ever read any of Pratchetts non-Discworld stuff? Apart from Good Omens?

Bugger, how could I forget the Feegles ?? I have bought The Wee Free Men as a gift for about 6 people. That and The Last Hero, which I have given as an older child's gift a fwew times. Books make the best present I reckon.
    Only The Dysk and The Globe. For some fickle reason, I haven't tried Diggers, Truckers etc, maybe they seemed to be kids books, I dunno.
    I read Eric, but that's kinda Discworld anyway.
    I tried to find the Huffington White Horse on google earth, but I could not see it. I was sure it shouild be visible though, have you looked for it ?
  • Options
    Bugger, how could I forget the Feegles ?? I have bought The Wee Free Men as a gift for about 6 people. That and The Last Hero, which I have given as an older child's gift a fwew times. Books make the best present I reckon.
    Only The Dysk and The Globe. For some fickle reason, I haven't tried Diggers, Truckers etc, maybe they seemed to be kids books, I dunno.
    I tried to find the Huffington White Horse on google earth, but I could not see it. I was sure it shouild be visible though, have you looked for it ?

It's Uffington, so maybe that's why?
    I can't google.earth it at work but heres a link to some pics.

http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~kbyon/earth/horse.htm

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Books DO make the best presents:) especially for me.

The Truckers trilogy is pretty good, and don't forget that all the Wee Free Men books are 'children's' books. You should also check out the Johnny Maxwell trilogy, again kids books, but again pretty good :)

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    someone tried to coax me into reading a novel once about a tortoise floating through space, the action took place on his shell or something. I said 'No'.

Pratchett has been diagnosed with altzheimers, not affecting his output.
  • Options
    It's Uffington, so maybe that's why?
    I can't google.earth it at work but heres a link to some pics.

http://myhome.shinbiro.com/~kbyon/earth/horse.htm

NO, at the time, I had the spelling correctly. Last night when I was typing, I was derdging the memory. I found the town easily enough, but I thought I would be able to find the horse.

I'll look at that link.