Options

Suicidal Thoughts.....?

urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
edited July 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Anybody had them? Someone very close to me has been saying very strange things and I want to help them. It's not me, but it's someone in my family.

Please PM, I don't want a public discussion, but I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks.
A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    Spend some time with him/her. They need a good friend right now.
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who's PM'd. There's a lot so I'm not sure I'll be able to reply to you all individually. All your advice has been considered.

Thanks again.

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    People are still PMing me. Thank you. I guess I'm just asking how can I make this person want to stay without it seeming for selfish reasons?
    Other than say 'please don't go...'

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    From my personal experience with my own thoughts...if they're giving off signals, stay with them. Even if it bugs the shit out of them, and don't tell them they're crazy, full of shit, won't do anything, etc etc. They'll soon break down and let loose to you if you're there and show you care.

If you show that you don't, or just kind of leave it up to them to pull themselves out and act as if they're just overreacting to a funk, then that more than likely will confirm their own inner demons and make them take another step closer to the edge.
  • Options
    Let's pick up your will,... it's grown fat and lazy
    I'm sympathetic as well,... don't go on me now

And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Thank you everyone again. All your PM's are really helping me to think clearer about what I should or shouldn't do. I think the reason this person told me how they were feeling was because they wanted me to know, listen and understand.
    I may not be able to convince them to want to stay, but I can be there, I can listen and I can tell them I love them and I don't want them to go.

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    all the time! but yeah they are just "thoughts"
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    great song by notorious b.i.g.

it's a tough subject to handle. i think the last thing you're supposed to do is remind them of how many people love them and all the good things in their life. they know those things are out there and the fact that for some reason it doesn't make them happy only makes them feel worse and more burdensome.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • Options
    clark_kent wrote:
    great song by notorious b.i.g.

it's a tough subject to handle. i think the last thing you're supposed to do is remind them of how many people love them and all the good things in their life. they know those things are out there and the fact that for some reason it doesn't make them happy only makes them feel worse and more burdensome.
    I'm trying to avoid exactly this scenario. They KNOW I love them and don't want them to think like this. I want to be there to listen because they don't trust anyone else to truly 'listen' to them. No one 'hears' what their saying.

I'm trying to be objective, rational and clear headed but at the same time I'm worried sick.

I guess I'm searching for the right thing to say with the fear there might not be one.

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    I'm trying to avoid exactly this scenario. They KNOW I love them and don't want them to think like this. I want to be there to listen because they don't trust anyone else to truly 'listen' to them. No one 'hears' what their saying.

I'm trying to be objective, rational and clear headed but at the same time I'm worried sick.

I guess I'm searching for the right thing to say with the fear there might not be one.

you're probably right there, i doubt there is a right thing to say. i think the important thing is to listen, to ask questions, to ask if they've considered various means of help or if they'd like your support in any way. it's a tough thing to do. having been there, your perceptions at that point are incredibly skewed and it is difficult to really reason your way through it. sometimes you just need to lean on someone and if you can do that, that's about as good as it gets.
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!