Options

Sleep...

urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
...I can't sleep. Not for weeks. I'm so tired and my work is suffering as a consequence.

Any ideas?

Not alcohol...I've tried it and it's not working.
A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Exercise. I do it an hour or so before bed, get a nice hot shower afterwards and when the adrenaline buzz wears off I sleep hard.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Exercise, or read about astrotravelling. If you get into it, you'll realize you can't do it unless you're asleep.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I agree, exercise then a hot shower or hot tub/bath....try valerian root...it stinks but it works & it is natural!
  • Options
    although i'm not a big fan of exercise myself ;), it agree it would help...

i usually don't sleep well because my mind is racing, thinking of work, songs running through my head, etc....

are there any activities that you enjoy doing that you can focus on, to clear your head? I will usually draw, paint, cross-stitch, or knit to take my mind off stuff.... if i do those things in the evening, i find i go to bed far more relaxed....

also... if there's a certain band's music that stuck in your head (:p), maybe take a break from listening for a while....

maybe also try taking a break from the computer... i find i get fixated sometimes on checking back here too often..... again, just to clear your mind...
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options

also... if there's a certain band's music that stuck in your head (:p), maybe take a break from listening for a while....

*shock*
    I'm gonna pretend you never said that......

:D:D

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    ...I can't sleep. Not for weeks. I'm so tired and my work is suffering as a consequence.

Any ideas?

Go to the doctor! You sound really stressed to me.

Excercise is always good though. Best try that FIRST.
  • Options
    *shock*
    I'm gonna pretend you never said that......

:D:D

hahaha... i know! i hate to say it... :o but i'm serious.... it might help... :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Sex.

And don't use your bedroom for anything besides sleeping and sex. If you want to read or watch tv, don't do it in your bed.

Exercise, but not too late.

Drink enough water during the day and eat healthily.

If your mind is racing, try writing everything down that you need to do the next day...

Stop watching tv or shut down the computer an hour or so before you want to go to sleep and do something relaxing, this can help as well.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

Any ideas?

I'm the same. I've been borderline insomniac for about 10 months, with small periods where I sleep ok. It's starting to affect my work too. I am missing lectures and seminars at university. Luckily today wasn't important but getting up at 12:30pm because I didn't sleep until 6am really depresses me. I had wasting days.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I'm the same. I've been borderline insomniac for about 10 months, with small periods where I sleep ok. It's starting to affect my work too. I am missing lectures and seminars at university. Luckily today wasn't important but getting up at 12:30pm because I didn't sleep until 6am really depresses me. I had wasting days.

I'm not missing lectures because I'm up.
    I'm not sleeping AT ALL.
    Maybe 2-3 hours a night. I'll try some of the things suggested....

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Eventually you'll get sick and then you won't be able to sleep enough. The body's way of maintaining balance. Your immune system is taking a thorough beating right now.

I could recommend a hundred different things that would help, but google your eyeballs off as you're wide awake anyways...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Eventually you'll get sick and then you won't be able to sleep enough. The body's way of maintaining balance. Your immune system is taking a thorough beating right now.

I could recommend a hundred different things that would help, but google your eyeballs off as you're wide awake anyways...

Hmmmmmm.

Thanks....I think....

Wembley 18/06/07

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    new mattress/pillows? you haven't found your comfort zone.
  • Options
    I've been an insomniac for over 10 years. I hate to say it but the only thing that ever worked for me was sleeping pills. The over the counter ones are fine.

Doesn't matter if I excercise during the day, not too close to bedtime either. Drink enough water, stop stimulating things an hour before bed. Drink valerian tea, drink sleepytime tea. Count sheep, can't keep the little bastards behaving anyway. Write down the thoughts that are going through my head, I'd be up all night!

I used to build houses in my head to help me focus and go to sleep but that stopped working.

I can be so tired that my brain isn't functioning and still not be able to sleep.

The only thing that works is drugs!
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

10/21/06 & 10/22/06 (Bridge Shows)
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I've been an insomniac for over 10 years. I hate to say it but the only thing that ever worked for me was sleeping pills. The over the counter ones are fine.

Doesn't matter if I excercise during the day, not too close to bedtime either. Drink enough water, stop stimulating things an hour before bed. Drink valerian tea, drink sleepytime tea. Count sheep, can't keep the little bastards behaving anyway. Write down the thoughts that are going through my head, I'd be up all night!

I used to build houses in my head to help me focus and go to sleep but that stopped working.

I can be so tired that my brain isn't functioning and still not be able to sleep.

The only thing that works is drugs!

Was it this bad from the beginning or did it gradually become this way?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm.

Thanks....I think....

There's no magic bullet. That's the point.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    my chiropractor recommended this drink with magnesium

http://www.petergillham.com/product-line/peter-gillhams-natural-calm.php
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Xanax (Alprazolam), Ambien, Rozerem, Lunesta, Lorazepam, Temazepam (Restoril), Diazepam (Valium), Klonopin, Vicodin, Codeine, etc... Benadryl (diphenhydramine- it's over the counter as an antihistamine, take 50mg).. most OTC sleep aids contain diphenhydramine.

If it's a drug you think you need, most of the "pams" listed above will do the trick, but leave you a bit groggy in the morning as they are narcotic, as are the vicodin and codeine, especially if you take high doses, eg: 1mg or higher of Xanax or Lorazepam, more than 5mg of Diazepam or Vicodin or 30mg of Codeine..

Ambien is a very good sleep aid, but I'd advise against long term use due to depressive effects greater than a week or two of use.. Rozerem is one that may not produce immediate results, but after 2 weeks to one month should "reset" your sleep cycle and not cause the depressive effects of Ambien or Lunesta because it's not a hypnotic or narcotic. Also, Lunesta can leave a horrid bitter taste in your mouth for up to 24 hours after use.. One that you CANNOT squelch with anything.

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    tell yourself a bedtime story in your mind.....pick a favorite place (beach, walk in the woods) or event (pj show, etc.) &
    replay it....or invent a new one....it's your story!!!
    If I had known then...what I know now...

the vic ~ 8.2.07
    eV at The Ryman ~ 6.18.09
    st. louis ~ 5.4.10
    If we all did a little, together we could make a BIG difference....wanna help us?
    Then visit http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com