Options

Airborne WILL Pay Refunds for False Advertising!

LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
edited March 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Not PJ related, but I figured that I'd pass this on to anyone that has ever bought that BS product that "claims to prevent colds. "

Apparently, Airborne’s claim that it prevents colds was false advertising and the company that produces, markets and sells Airborne has been mandated to repay 23+ million back to consumers who have purchased Airborne between 2001 through 2007. The “clinical study” that is on the Airborne package is false and was debunked by ABC news. I guarantee you that Airborne, Inc. absolutely hates ABC now… only CBS news for the Airborne board of directors now.

So can you get a refund? Yes… You can get a refund for each bottle of Airborne that you bought; price paid (excluding sales tax) with the receipt. If you don’t have the receipt, you can still get money back for up to 6 bottles of Airborne. Just go here for more informaiton on the Airborne Class Action Settlement.

To file file your settlement:

http://www.airbornehealthsettlement.com/submitClaim.aspx
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I bought a pack once. Didn't help my cold at all.
  • Options
    Get the refund- you can get up to 6 packs refunded with no receipt. If you have receipts, you can get a refund for as many packs that you've bought.

I've always known that this crap is BS, I'm so happy that they finally were busted.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Is Oprah going to get a refund too??!! I heard she was touting that product like crazy causing droves of people to come to my granola store asking for it (we don't sell it...artifical ingredients does nothing for a cold)...Wonder if this will bankrupt them or will they keep selling it?
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,444
    was it really developed by that second grade teacher? I was sick this whole winter and nothing worked. I've always wanted to try Airborne.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    this can't be real
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    this can't be real
    It is. I just watched a video on yahoo.com about it from ABC News.

And yes, it was developed by a 2nd grade teacher
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I'm not sure why everyone thought it would "cure" a cold. There's no such thing. It's a virus that has to run its course. I tried the stuff. The only thing I noticed was that my symptoms were not as severe. But it still took about 10 days to be free of my cold - old wives tale: 3 days coming, 3 days staying, 3 days going. Eat healthy, drink plenty of fluids, get the rest your body asks for and if it helps to relieve your symptoms in the mean time, take some over-the-counter cold meds. Avoid getting the cold to begin with - wash your hands frequently (use antibacterial hand sanitizer if you don't have access to a sink), keep your hands away from your face, steer clear of people who are sick. After you've recovered? change your toothbrush and clean your phone.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    There was a recent Simpson's episode where the trophy husband of the inventor said "All she did was mix vitamin C with AlkaSeltzer!"

It was the truth!
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    2 of my brother-in-law's are pharmacist, and they've told me for years that it was crap, and didn't work! I guess they were right!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    I also forgot to post that for some reason this is only for US purchases
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I bought way more than six of those in the past 5 years. Who the hell saves receipts.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Whizbang wrote:
    I'm not sure why everyone thought it would "cure" a cold. There's no such thing. It's a virus that has to run its course. I tried the stuff. The only thing I noticed was that my symptoms were not as severe. But it still took about 10 days to be free of my cold - old wives tale: 3 days coming, 3 days staying, 3 days going. Eat healthy, drink plenty of fluids, get the rest your body asks for and if it helps to relieve your symptoms in the mean time, take some over-the-counter cold meds. Avoid getting the cold to begin with - wash your hands frequently (use antibacterial hand sanitizer if you don't have access to a sink), keep your hands away from your face, steer clear of people who are sick. After you've recovered? change your toothbrush and clean your phone.

Like you said, its a virus, so there should be no need to change your toothbrush, unless of course it mutates while on said toothbrush.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I've purchased many packs too.

So how much can you get back for the 6 pack minimum?
  • Options
    1st of all. why would a 2nd grade teacher be the one you would go to for health advice? btw i heard nasa was getting my barber to develop the next space station.

2nd of all. its vitamins. mainly vitamin c. news flash. vitamins are good. your body has lots of production cycles and guess what it needs for many of them. right, vitamins.

3. wash your hands, dont touch them to eyes or noses. amazing how that works the best but you cant sell it.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    mca47 wrote:

6.99 per pack for most products...

10.99 for "Seasonal"

I still believe it works.

Damn if I don't looove the grapefruit.

I'll be sure to get my fair share of refund... even if I did benefit from the placebo effect!
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    The placebo affect alone probably caused people to feel better.
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    This is good... that stuff didn't work at all! And the orange flavor practically made me throw up all over the counter. My dad had a cold I didn't want to catch so I took preemptive action against it... and I still got sick!
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    The site indicates that this is just a proposal. The court date isn't until June 16th, 2008.

"On November 29, 2007, the District Court for the Central District of California entered an order preliminarily approving the proposed Settlement. Click here to download that Order. The Court has scheduled a hearing on June 16, 2008 at 10:00 am, to consider final approval of the Settlement."

Did the package claim that the product cured or prevented the common cold?
    I always thought it was pretty clear that it was just preemptive measure to reduce the risk of getting sick and not an actual treatment.

Edit: Didn't realize that they settled.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    The site indicates that this is just a proposal. The court date isn't until June 16th, 2008.

"On November 29, 2007, the District Court for the Central District of California entered an order preliminarily approving the proposed Settlement. Click here to download that Order. The Court has scheduled a hearing on June 16, 2008 at 10:00 am, to consider final approval of the Settlement."

Did the package claim that the product cured or prevented the common cold?
    I always thought it was pretty clear that it was just preemptive measure to reduce the risk of getting sick and not an actual treatment.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/04/news/companies/airborne_settlement/index.htm?section=money_latest

I've never used the stuff but I'm assuming they have some major claims that they don't live up to at all if they are already settling for 23 mil.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

It works out to be around $40 for the regular stuff
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Like you said, its a virus, so there should be no need to change your toothbrush, unless of course it mutates while on said toothbrush.

I hear you on that.....I just take the precaution. Plus I get maybe 2 colds a year and you should change your toothbrush that often anyway. It all works out. :)
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    All this is is zinc and C basically. I use it and won't be asking for a refund because I already knew what it was and that it can't do all that it says, but who cares? It's a real easy thing to do before a trip; can't hurt and might help. I'm all for vitamins and herbs and I will continue to use it. With the exception of the orange flavor which I agree is bad, I think it tastes good as well. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,254
    Is Oprah going to get a refund too??!! I heard she was touting that product like crazy causing droves of people to come to my granola store asking for it
    Oprah should be giving refunds, not getting them. She advised her cult members to buy it, just another in a long list of bad advice from the Big O, how's that James Frey book there Oprah?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

that's because you're supposed to take it *before* you get sick.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    the settlement is about false advertising
    apparently it was marketed as a cure
    which is a no no in the supplement world, once you start doing that you need FDA approval

its no secret that increasing Vitamin C intake helps you resist colds

this was about the marketing techniques and false promises
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    6.99 per pack for most products...

10.99 for "Seasonal"

I still believe it works.

Damn if I don't looove the grapefruit.

I'll be sure to get my fair share of refund... even if I did benefit from the placebo effect!

Haha, I just bought a pack of these fuckers last night..Grapefruit actually, and it was about $7.99 in DR..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    thanks! i just got some (so i had to lie about the date on that thing) and it did nothing for me! infact now i have an ear infection (cant prove any connection) so im worse off than when i started!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I bought this stuff a few times and it never seemed to work for me but I kept hearing how great it was. I went ahead and filled out the settlement thing. 6 packs at $10.50 (seasonal) is better than nothing...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    thanks! i just got some (so i had to lie about the date on that thing) and it did nothing for me! infact now i have an ear infection (cant prove any connection) so im worse off than when i started!
    yeah, it's strange that you can't put 2008 in there as the date
    www.RLMcDaniel.com