Options

I'm too shy...

xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
edited October 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
How do I deal with this? I asked a girl out with a text the other day. She said yes... but I was embarrassed. It was awkward... but I know it would have been even weirder in person... and I'm not even shy around my friends or most girls. But when it comes cool, good looking girls my throat just closes. Its not because people hate me either (lol). I know using a text was a douche move... but I think I am physically not able to do it in person. I honestly think I would just fall over. Is there things I can do to deal with this? and I know I need to apologize to this girl for asking in a text... that's just embarrassing...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    What's the worst a girl is going to say....no? I used to be shy when I was young around girls but you get to a point where your going to miss a chance with someone great and you'll be killing yourself for it.

As for the text, just say what you said here. Just say you feel like a douche. Who knows, it might get a laugh out of her. She did say yes so that's a start.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    How do I deal with this? I asked a girl out with a text the other day. She said yes... but I was embarrassed. It was awkward... but I know it would have been even weirder in person... and I'm not even shy around my friends or most girls. But when it comes cool, good looking girls my throat just closes. Its not because people hate me either (lol). I know using a text was a douche move... but I think I am physically not able to do it in person. I honestly think I would just fall over. Is there things I can do to deal with this? and I know I need to apologize to this girl for asking in a text... that's just embarrassing...

haha i know what u mean! i do the worst thing, i send break-up texts because i always feel bad hurting the guy. but its not weird the first time u ask a girl out through a text we understand guys can be shy, but dont do it constantly. and explain to her how u felt about asking her out through a text. she will laugh :) goodluck
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    haha i know what u mean! i do the worst thing, i send break-up texts because i always feel bad hurting the guy. but its not weird the first time u ask a girl out through a text we understand guys can be shy, but dont do it constantly. and explain to her how u felt about asking her out through a text. she will laugh :) goodluck

a text to ask them out - not all that bad really, maybe like you said, slightly awkward. i used to have really bad problems with shyness (again only with girls i fancied), and i did (like above poster said) end up missing out on girls who were hot & interested, which sucked. go on the date, and dont try make excuses or cover up your shyness, apologise (but not repeatedly), and make light of it. presenting yourself as straightforward on the first date always goes down well in my experience...dont dwell on the shyness, just relax and enjoy the date!!!
    good luck

PS: dating is probably the best way to get over your shyness, put yourself out there, you'll find yourself coming out of your shell to people you like

also, a text to break up - Thats REALLY bad form!! its such an offensive thing to do, its just comes across as being inconsiderate & selfish! get some courage and deal break up with the in person!
  • Options
    Get your PJ buddies to step in... worked for me ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    What's the worst a girl is going to say....no?

i love that saying... whats the worst she could say... well in my case it was "fuck off loser i'd rather hump a tramp".. took me all of 8 minutes to get over that... :(
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i love that saying... whats the worst she could say... well in my case it was "fuck off loser i'd rather hump a tramp".. took me all of 8 minutes to get over that... :(

Sticks and stones will break my bones but girls can really hurt me.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but girls can really hurt me.

Only if they kick you in the stick and stones.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Only if they kick you in the stick and stones.

LOL... stick and stones for peace. Make love, not war.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    it's insecurities ... as you grow more comfortable with you are and not so worried about what others think - things won't be so difficult ...
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    dunkman wrote:

It could not possibly have been something you said Dunk.....? :p
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    Is there things I can do to deal with this?

drink alcohol
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    dunkman wrote:

What Dunk is trying to say is that it took him eight minutes to quit his job, roll around in the dirt, tear his clothes, and throw down a bottle of MD 20/20.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    It could not possibly have been something you said Dunk.....? :p

i highly doubt that!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742

Break up texts????? That's the worst thing in the world. It's bad enough when someone does it over the phone, but to do it via text is just spineless. A girl recently did it to me over a text and boy was I pissed. We only dated for a month or so, but it was still a real low move that she couldnt even say it to my face.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    i was the shyist guy around. not lying. had my head down all the time. in high school, university. very sensitive & shy you wouldn't believe.

i have come out of that. just be yourself. don't care what other's think. stay strong. if you fuck up, it's not the end of the world. least ya tried. feel good. then try again.

there was somebody i really loved here. i tried. didn't work. i don't care no more. and what other's think. i used to cry about it. and depressed out of my mind. but that's the past. go for the goal. nobody should stop you. grab what is your's and take good care of it. you're heart will know when.

d'oh! gotta get back to lunch. you'll do find man.
    have a great time! :)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    oh yeah. forget the dinner & movie jam. that's old school. take her to a comedy club & dinner jam. it's awesome!

*memories! :)
  • Options
    this thread makes me think of this song

Too shy shy
    Hush hush, eye to eye
    Too shy shy
    Hush hush, eye to eye
    Too shy shy
    Hush hush, eye to eye
    Too shy shy
    Hush hush
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    I used to be shy too. Not anymore. I don't know how I did it. I guess face your fears and you'll realize eventually that there's nothing to be afraid of or shy about.

Everyone's fucked up in one way or the other. Everyone has a mistakes. Everyone has doubts no matter how confident they might appear.

If you want to ask a girl out, she can either say accept, decline politely or she can ridicule and insult you. The insults etc. are a sign of insecurity, I guess. Only you can determine whether the words of a stranger are true and if you want to give meaning to them. Or you can decide to actually see it for what it is, irrelevant and meaningless. Walk on.

There's also the chance that you'll die tomorrow. It happens every day, some lucky Joe thinks he has his whole life in front of him and then a drunk driver crashes into him. Once you realize that "every second could be your last" is not just a catch phrase but the truth, reality... you might stop caring about moments, slices of life... And there are millions and millions of slices. Rejection might be one, but how significant is that slice in your life?

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is ... face your fears. Really. It might be hard the first couple of times, embarrassingly hard... but you'll get there. You'll start feeling more confident.

Also, I know this kind of a crap post... but you get the gist of it, right?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pvKTDkLb_k

Just take your time when talking to a girl. You will get better at it.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Collin wrote:
    Also, I know this kind of a crap post... but you get the gist of it, right?

i thought it was a great post. couldnt put it better