Options

My daughters having brain surgery

doorsjamdoorsjam Posts: 38
edited October 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I have posted on here a couple of times about one of my twin girls struggle with Tuberous Sclerosis.

We got the call today that she is a surgical candidate.

The epileptologists secretary called me at 9a this morning to tell me that Cassidy was being presented at the surgical committee today.

Dr. Lee called me at 2p to tell me that he is very optimistic that they can improve the quality of her life via brain resection/epilepsy surgery.

I cried. I cant tell you what a weight lifting off my chest is. Its like they are finally doing something other than trying different drug combos.

They still have exactly pinpointed the area that is causing the seizures. They know its the left posterior lobe which is where the motor strip is located. So when they do the grid placement she will actually have almost her whole left side of her brain gridded to see if they can find it more specifically. They said her case is a bit unusual for a TS kid because there is not a tuber near the area of brain where the seizures are coming from.

Dr. Lee said it was a very diffuse area and his concerns are that there is so much activity that if they do not do surgery that permanent damage may occur that will effect her motor skills.

As scary as the thought of my baby having brain surgery is this is very good news. Now I just have a wait until we hear from the neurosurgeon for the date.
www.caringbridge.org/visit/cassidyconway

Chicago-Regal Theatre 3/10/94
Milwaukee Summerfest-7/08/95
Chicago-Soldier Field-7/11/95
East Troy-Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 10/08/00
Chicago-United Center 5/17/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Positve vibes and thoughts headed your way! Best of luck to you and your family!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    hope every thing goes well, its bound to be very stressful for you at the minute. chin up.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good but when I'm bad I'm better.
  • Options
    CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
    It's always amazing what medical technology can do for a life. I wish you all the best and I'll be sending some good vibes your way :)
  • Options
    I am not familiar with the past postings in regards to this but I am certainly sending good vibes your way.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    That is good news. I wish you and your family and your daughter the best of luck with the surgery.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    yeah i wish nothing but great vibes towards you're loved daughter will defently say a prayer for her and you're family ........... good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Thoughts are with your little one, and good vibes have been sent. :)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Sending good vibes you and your family's way. I'm sure we are all hoping that things turn out just right for you guys :)
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    drtyfrnk29drtyfrnk29 Posts: 846
    Definitely the good vibes going out to you. I hope everything works out.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Prayers, good vibes and LOVE coming your way.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    my heart and prayers go out to you and your child....
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Wow, sorry about what you must be going through, I can't even imagine. I'm sending good wishes your way. Hope all is successful! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    emily18emily18 Posts: 489
    ohh thats great!!! i hope it all goes successfully! :)
  • Options
    Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    doorsjam wrote:
    I have posted on here a couple of times about one of my twin girls struggle with Tuberous Sclerosis.

We got the call today that she is a surgical candidate.

The epileptologists secretary called me at 9a this morning to tell me that Cassidy was being presented at the surgical committee today.

Dr. Lee called me at 2p to tell me that he is very optimistic that they can improve the quality of her life via brain resection/epilepsy surgery.

I cried. I cant tell you what a weight lifting off my chest is. Its like they are finally doing something other than trying different drug combos.

They still have exactly pinpointed the area that is causing the seizures. They know its the left posterior lobe which is where the motor strip is located. So when they do the grid placement she will actually have almost her whole left side of her brain gridded to see if they can find it more specifically. They said her case is a bit unusual for a TS kid because there is not a tuber near the area of brain where the seizures are coming from.

Dr. Lee said it was a very diffuse area and his concerns are that there is so much activity that if they do not do surgery that permanent damage may occur that will effect her motor skills.

As scary as the thought of my baby having brain surgery is this is very good news. Now I just have a wait until we hear from the neurosurgeon for the date.

I hope everything goes ok for you guys, and I'll be thinking of her. I can't imagine the mix of emotions you must be going through right now. Good luck to you. :)
  • Options
    stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    goodluck, prayers are with you and your family. KEEP US UPDATED
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Options
    Sending love and happy thoughts your way.
    Be Sound...
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Kids are so strong and amazing!! And as a parent, you'll be surprised at what you can go thru for your child. I'm praying for you, your daughter and whole family. Yes, please keep us posted!! And BE STRONG thru this.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    The best of luck to your daughter when she has the operation. I hope that the doctor's can pinpoint the exact cause and allow her to have a better life after the surgery. Sending good vibes out to you and your family.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Good luck........and I hope that all are well.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Its really weird to have wished brain surgery on your child. But we have had a really rough year with seizures. She hasnt had a seizure free day since March 31, 2006! We got her down to about 5 a day but earlier in the year it was 10-20 and they could last up to 15 minutes.

I am terrified about this. It could be the miracle we were looking for or it could be a surgery that causes some other damage and the seizures still dont stop. But I just feel like we have to take the risk. She's only 3 but I keep thinking, she will never be able to get a drivers license which will then limit where she can work and where she can live. At this point I would be afraid for her to walk anywhere alone or ride a bike because if she had a seizure she could get hurt or disoriented.

Cassidy is a twin and it really effects Kiley too. Since Kiley was 2 yrs old she could tell when Cassidy was about to have a seizure and would come tell me. A 2 yr old shouldnt know that kind of stuff.

It broke my heart when we were at Notre Dame this mothers day and Kiley threw a penny into the pool to make a wish. I asked her what she wished for and she said "that sister gets better and stops having seizures". That sucks. She should have been wishing for toys or something. Not something as heavy as that.

So, yep, I will be posting in here because I will need all the support I can get going through this. But keeping the faith and positive thoughts that this is the right decision for our family and our little girl.

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    doorsjam wrote:
    Thanks guys! Its really weird to have wished brain surgery on your child. But we have had a really rough year with seizures. She hasnt had a seizure free day since March 31, 2006! We got her down to about 5 a day but earlier in the year it was 10-20 and they could last up to 15 minutes.

I am terrified about this. It could be the miracle we were looking for or it could be a surgery that causes some other damage and the seizures still dont stop. But I just feel like we have to take the risk. She's only 3 but I keep thinking, she will never be able to get a drivers license which will then limit where she can work and where she can live. At this point I would be afraid for her to walk anywhere alone or ride a bike because if she had a seizure she could get hurt or disoriented.

Cassidy is a twin and it really effects Kiley too. Since Kiley was 2 yrs old she could tell when Cassidy was about to have a seizure and would come tell me. A 2 yr old shouldnt know that kind of stuff.

It broke my heart when we were at Notre Dame this mothers day and Kiley threw a penny into the pool to make a wish. I asked her what she wished for and she said "that sister gets better and stops having seizures". That sucks. She should have been wishing for toys or something. Not something as heavy as that.

So, yep, I will be posting in here because I will need all the support I can get going through this. But keeping the faith and positive thoughts that this is the right decision for our family and our little girl.

My God. I have a 3 year old, but in no way could I possibly understand what you're going through. Your faith and family will lead the way in your decision, and I pray that will bring you peace.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    doorsjam wrote:

You've got a PJ Fan Army of support for you :)

Does Kiley know that a seizure is coming or does she know that something bad is about to happen to her sister (and assume that it's going to be a seizure because that's what usually occurs)? I've seen and read of quite a few sets of twins that have premonitions (for lack of a better term) when their twin is about to be in danger or is in danger, but they've never specifically known exactly what the danger was.
  • Options
    bmwweirdoguybmwweirdoguy Right of Seattle Posts: 228
    Best of luck to your daughter, you, and your family!
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • Options
    nickcat0nickcat0 Posts: 75
    I'm new to the forum , so I haven't seen your previous postings .

But I send you and your family my very best wishes , and I pray that all goes well .
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    9/9/06
    Everton 3 RS 0
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Good thoughts to you and your family.

Take care.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    You've got a PJ Fan Army of support for you :)

Does Kiley know that a seizure is coming or does she know that something bad is about to happen to her sister (and assume that it's going to be a seizure because that's what usually occurs)? I've seen and read of quite a few sets of twins that have premonitions (for lack of a better term) when their twin is about to be in danger or is in danger, but they've never specifically known exactly what the danger was.

Kiley doesnt know when a seizure is coming, I dont think. She just is really protective of her sister and notices right away if things arent right.

The obviously arent identical since Tuberous Sclerosis is a genetic disease and only Cassidy has it. They dont even look like sisters anymore :lol Kiley is a really little strawberry blonde with straight hair and Cassidy is 4 inches taller and 14 lbs heavier with dark curly hair. They are the loves of my life.

You can check out info about TS at http://www.tsalliance.org or more about Cassidy at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/cassidyconway

• Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    Not to mention, your daughter is incredibly brave for going through this at age 3. One would think that she would not have the ability to remember this later in life, but I still remember the surgery that I had when I was 4, and the body cast I was in for the next six months. Hopefully, she is young enough for this experience to eventually get buried deep in her subconsciousness. However, I think only time will tell.

Claire Daines in an interview once said that she can remember being held as a baby. So, what I'm getting at is that she may need extra emotional support throughout her adolescence as a result of this surgery.

I can actually still remember the smell of the knock out gas I received as I lay on the operating table. It smells like a felt tip marker. I instantly remember being on that operating table every single time I pop the cap off of a marking pen to this day.

And the hospital food....I sent the nurse back to the cafeteria three times because the eggs were too runny. Only at Children's Hospital do the nurses wait on their child patients hand and foot, me thinks.

And then there's the opiates problem. She'll be exposed to opiates to manage the post-surgery recovery. This will set her up later in life to be more susceptible to addiction/dependency.

But, you see, this was 1981 and the go-go's had just released "Our Lips Are Sealed" and my nurse's voice sounded just like Belinda Carlisle's as far as I was concerned. And, believe it or not, that is the most pleasant memory that I take with me from that whole ordeal.

So, what I'm saying is basically that even at 3, I can only imagine how difficult this must be for her even though it will ultimately serve in her best interest.
  • Options
    Punk77Punk77 Posts: 48
    That's great news. Still very frightening now that it's getting closer to getting a date. I wish your family all the best. Big hugs for your girl(s) If she's old enough to realise, she must be scared. Stay stong, stay together!
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    My prayers and good wishes go to your daughter and all your family. I think I can safely say this applies to everyone on this board who may not have seen this thread.