Options

Suggest a PJ Bio:

SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
From what i've looked into, the two best PJ Bios are None Too Fragile by Martin Clarke and Five Against One by Kim Neely. Does anyone have anything to say about these books or recommend any better ones?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Pearl Jam are the best band ever. The end.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Some advice on the books would be appreciated :)
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    This is the one I want to read. The others that I have seen are dated and full of bad info imo. :)
    http://www.allornone.org/in_the_footsteps_of_pearl_jam/
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I'll give my thoughts on both books:

Five Against One is probably a better overall book as it goes more in depth with the band. When Neely gets to the time around Vs/Vitalogy she seems to take a less than favorable opinion of the band and mainly Eddie. I think it's due to referencing more interviews and magazine articles with outside sources including former drummer Dave A, who at the time was still a little ticked off that he was fired. I will say that I have used this book more for its historical aspects than anything else. Neely did a pretty good job of chronicling the Seattle music scene from the mid 80s up until the "grunge revolution".

None Too Fragile is an ok read, but to me it spent waaaaay too much time on Eddie and his life and less on the band. I know that appeals to some people, but I wanted to read more about Stone, Mike, Jeff, drummer at the time, etc. as well. Also, some parts seem really longwinded, mainly the thing with Ticketmaster.

Oh...Five Against One ends right after No Code was released and None Too Fragile ends with sort of a half-assed review of Yield.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    wolfbear wrote:
    This is the one I want to read. The others that I have seen are dated and full of bad info imo. :)
    http://www.allornone.org/in_the_footsteps_of_pearl_jam/
    I want to read this one as well...