Options

Film:No Country For Old Men (SPOILER WARNING)

EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
So, there was a thread in the main forum about Eddies Oscar chances that we kinda hijacked and trned into a No Country thread so I figured it needs its own thread where we can discuss it because it seems a lot of people have a lot to say about this movie, good or bad.

I just watched it for a second time and I must say, best film of 07, easily. It was actually better the second time around but I still have a question about one scene, what is the point of the scene at the end of the movie with the deputy in the wheelchair I assume Tommy Lee's charecter took over from explaining about his(Tommy Lee's) uncle dying??? the first time I saw the movie I thought it really killed the flow, the second time it just baffled me.

This thread is for all things No Country, Discuss !!!
{if (work != 0) {
work = work + 1;
sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
else if (work >= 0) {
reality.equals(false);
work = work +1;
}system("pause");
return 0;}
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I don't get the hype around the movie. It was slow moving and boring, causing me to zone out on numerous occasions. There were cool elements, obviously, and the bad guy was pretty bad ass, but I didn't find it all that interesting. I should have went to Atonement.

I definitely zoned out during the conversation between Tommy Lee Jones and the guy in the wheelchair (and again during the conversation between TLJ and his wife), so I don't know what the point was either. I turned to my friend and asked, "Was that important? Should I have been paying attention?" :)
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    Personally, I don't get the hype around the movie. It was slow moving and boring, causing me to zone out on numerous occasions. There were cool elements, obviously, and the bad guy was pretty bad ass, but I didn't find it all that interesting. I should have went to Atonement.

I definitely zoned out during the conversation between Tommy Lee Jones and the guy in the wheelchair (and again during the conversation between TLJ and his wife), so I don't know what the point was either. I turned to my friend and asked, "Was that important? Should I have been paying attention?" :)

Atone ment is brilliant , very moving and amazingly well done, but yeah im really baffeled, the scene at the end is really just to make you fell awkard and kinda sick when your leaving the movie and from what i understand its adapted pretty much word for word , like if you turn to the last page in the book thats the conversation

oh well too bad you didnt like it, maybe give it another shot on DVD when it comes out ?? its really tense and just genuine old school film making, like back in the day when movies relied on solid direction stories and acting.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    a brief summary of that scene is that the guy in the wheelchair is tell TLJ that things have always been this violent. If u remember at the beginning TLJ is talking and saying stuff like that its getting mroe and mroe violent nowadays, and he wants to retire. Well MR Wheelchair tells him its always been this violent.
  • Options
    Atone ment is brilliant , very moving and amazingly well done, but yeah im really baffeled, the scene at the end is really just to make you fell awkard and kinda sick when your leaving the movie and from what i understand its adapted pretty much word for word , like if you turn to the last page in the book thats the conversation

oh well too bad you didnt like it, maybe give it another shot on DVD when it comes out ?? its really tense and just genuine old school film making, like back in the day when movies relied on solid direction stories and acting.

Oh good God.. I thought Atonement (the book) was so miserably awful, the movie not much better. I hated it so much it made me want to go to Borders and write on the first page of every book "THEY BOTH DIE. AND ITS ALL FAKE."
    Yuck! But.. that's just me.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    Oh good God.. I thought Atonement (the book) was so miserably awful, the movie not much better. I hated it so much it made me want to go to Borders and write on the first page of every book "THEY BOTH DIE. AND ITS ALL FAKE."
    Yuck! But.. that's just me.

To each his own , i thought it was sprawiling, epic and beautifuly shot with a great performances from James McAvoy and the little girl

and its not all fake just the happy parts lol
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    and other then first part of my sentance where it says atopnment is brilliant etc im talking about NCFOM
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    I've heard it's supposedly a commentary on Reagan's presidency. My favorite critical arguments are always Marxist and there's definitely an opportunity to view the movie that way. I agree that the old man tied in historical violence to TLJ's lamentations. Technology finally caught up with a disrespect for human life and it all went to hell. I think it's one of those movies that's supposed to make you uncomfortable when you walk out of the theater. I liked how it used some old-school Western shots. The big sky juxtaposed against individuals really added to a sense of isolation. The randomness of death, especially at the gas station with the old guy, was kind of disturbing.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley