Options

The Master and Margarita

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited February 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Few days ago, I was on here and someone had posted a thread about the song Pilate...going into this already knowing that it was written by Jeff about Pontius Pilate, I learned that it was also inspired by a book called, The Master and Margarita...

I'm about 3 chapters into it.
I wish I could explain it well enough but I can't, so here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_master_and_margarita

anyone who's read it....comments?
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I recently read it for my Myth and Symbol class. I didn`t love it, but it was one of those books that I`m appreciative it was on the course list. Even knowing the PJ connection, it`s not something I normally would have had any interest in, but I found it quite enlightening, seeing the world from all these twisted perspectives. A somewhat confusing storyline to piece together, mostly because of all the many Russian characters (I find it hard to remember names that I can`t pronounce, especially when there's so many of them!), but a real thinker nonetheless. And of course, there's Pilate and his dog, which makes so much more sense in this context now.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    for canadians, The Tea Party has a song by this name
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Bulgakov is one of my favourite authors (with Gabriel Garcia Marquez) and The Master and Margarita is an incredible novel.

The imagery, good/evil, freedom of spirit in an authotarian (is that a word?) world. Also the love Margarita has for the master... I love this novel, it is funny, political, a good love story too. If you like russian authors, this is a great one. So many references to the other 'big' ones.

It is a bit strange but keep with it. I didn't know about the PJ connection (bad fan!).
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    redrock wrote:
    Bulgakov is one of my favourite authors (with Gabriel Garcia Marquez) and The Master and Margarita is an incredible novel.

The imagery, good/evil, freedom of spirit in an authotarian (is that a word?) world. Also the love Margarita has for the master... I love this novel, it is funny, political, a good love story too. If you like russian authors, this is a great one. So many references to the other 'big' ones.

It is a bit strange but keep with it. I didn't know about the PJ connection (bad fan!).
    shame on you!

the actual quote from jeff is really cool, i wish i could track it down but it went something like this, and keep in mind it's not exact. "I was feeling really lonely and I had just finished reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakovand the part about Pontius Pilate. He was alone in the mountains and with only his dog and he felt that because he hadn't finished his conversation with Jesus Christ that he felt he had all these untied ends in his life. All I could do was imagine myself old and alone with only my dog sitting on my front porch."

Something to that affect and when I read that quote it made me so interested in the book that I had to track it down.

It is a very interesting and challenging book, and i agree with a comment left earlier. With all the Russian characters, which there are way too many of, and the strangely pieced together story line, it's a difficult novel, but fun to read.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527
    I'll look for this read, someday.
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 400
    Digging this post out from a long, long time ago...
    Anyone recently read this? Aside from the old comments here, any new commentary? How difficult a read is it? It's signed out from my local university library and its not at the local public library (i could special order it from another county in the past, but not sure they'll do that now), so curious if its worth the money.