strategies for dealing with crappy work situations

wavescamecrashingwavescamecrashing Posts: 440
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
i am in a teacher training year, but on this placement, what i am allowed to do is really restricted (teach for 2 hours a week, under supervision) and i feel a bit miffed that i am not allowed to work to my ability. I have been actively discouraged from helping out at after school clubs, etc and there has been some hostility towards me in the staffroom because of the fact that i am not doing all that much (not my choice).

also, i was observed by a tutor (not my own)after three hours teaching and ripped apart, without my lack of experience being taken into account. this was spread around the staffroom without my consent and has made things even more difficult for me because it is being used as proof that i should not be doing more, even though i need to learn from experience. other people on my course are teaching 9-12 hours a week and will be way ahead of me by the next placement. i am well aware i need to improve, but am unsure how to go about this on such little experience.

its not for much longer (late Jan), but im unhappy with the situation, with no one bar the union to turn to (my boss knows the course leader really well and when i tried to open dialogue before, i was ripped to shreds for that too) if i speak out, it gets worse.

any advice? other than keep your head down...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Fuck that. If you're passionate about it, make waves. You want to get better and the only way to get better is practice. March in there Monday and tell them who's boss. 8-)
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    DS1119 wrote:
    Fuck that. If you're passionate about it, make waves. You want to get better and the only way to get better is practice. March in there Monday and tell them who's boss. 8-)

I agree,that is one shitty situation to be in,but I have found being assertive and not passive aggressive in these situations works best.They have been that by calling you out on stuff without allowing you time to respond,no one should be called out without getting their redeeming time.
    I'd spend time before Monday,noting what you need to say and what you want to work towards achieving while there then going in and first thing ask for a meeting on Monday,stay calm,this will let them know you are serious rather than going off on one,make your point and await a response,I hope it's positive and works out for you.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    stargirl69 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I agree,that is one shitty situation to be in,but I have found being assertive and not passive aggressive in these situations works best.They have been that by calling you out on stuff without allowing you time to respond,no one should be called out without getting their redeeming time.
    I'd spend time before Monday,noting what you need to say and what you want to work towards achieving while there then going in and first thing ask for a meeting on Monday,stay calm,this will let them know you are serious rather than going off on one,make your point and await a response,I hope it's positive and works out for you.

Wonderful advice. I hope it works out for the OP this Monday as well..