Options

I saw Bob Dylan Last Night...

2»

Comments

• Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Whoa, how many times have YOU seen Dylan???? The point of the post was about this specific show, NOT how many times people have seen the man.

Does every post get trashed by "holier than thou" pricks on here? It seems as if 1 out of 5 posts I read turn into "Well I have been here longer" or "I have more Bootlegs", "I have seen more shows".

How about this- I wanted to vent to fellow fans of my favorite band about my SHIT experience with a musician I hold in the HIGHEST regard...even if he sucks live.
    was my responses one of the ones that you consider as being "holier than thou"? cuz i really didn't think it was

i was referring to a girl i knew, i remember she went to see Dylan cuz she liked Tangled Up in Blue, and he actually sang it at the show and she was appalled, like "what the fuck? THIS isn't the Tangled Up in Blue I expected!"

but having said that, i was basically agreeing with you anyhow, and not trying to be a snooty prick
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    was my responses one of the ones that you consider as being "holier than thou"? cuz i really didn't think it was

i was referring to a girl i knew, i remember she went to see Dylan cuz she liked Tangled Up in Blue, and he actually sang it at the show and she was appalled, like "what the fuck? THIS isn't the Tangled Up in Blue I expected!"

but having said that, i was basically agreeing with you anyhow, and not trying to be a snooty prick

No, that was specifically a response to Hollis. He seems to have a douche comment to 1/2 of my posts.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    I've seen him twice, once in 2002, and a 2nd time with Willie Nelson in 2004. In 02 he WAS still playing the guitar then. In 04 it was just keyboard because his hands are too messed up from arthritis, or so I've been told. I didn't think his voice was bad on either occassion, but it certainly could've gone downhill since. I guess I'll just have to consider myself fortunate for seeing that 02 show when he stll played guitar.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,073
    I've seen him 3 times. I very much enjoyed seeing him in 2000. He performed well. I wish he'd diverge from the original version a bit less (sometimes took me a while to figure out what song it was), but overall his voice was good (relative to Dylan) and he carried a mid sized arena nicely.

I saw him in 2001 or 2002 (not sure which year) at the IL state fair. I enjoyed what I heard. I saw nothing (terrible venue), but he sounded fine.

Then I saw him in 2005 and I knew that the last few years had really taken their toll. He and his 5 musicians made a half circle on state. Someone who did not know who Dylan was may not have realized that he was even the "main guy." The energy was lacking. He did not even play guitar, IIRC. Just keyboard.

I am very glad I got to those first two shows. Got to do more than just see a legend. Got a good (not great, but good) show. The '05 show was like seeing Michael Jordan one more time, on the Wizards. It sort of detracts from the others. I wish I would not have gone.

So I echo many others...Don't let anyone tell you that he has always been terrible. However, there is no question that his shows have declined a lot.
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.