Anyone have a good book, movie or song to share?

13»

Comments

• westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I just recently read Shelby's Waiting Period...rec'd by Byrnzie. It was awesome. As I read, I kept thinking how ballsy he is, his writing...I could never admit to those thoughts, nevermind commit them to paper and then publish them.
    I am going to put Last Exit on my list.

It is a great but VERY intense and disturbing book. It took me a long time to process what I was reading. What I mean is it took a long time to get over feeling disturbed and unsettled. Nevertheless, it is a great read.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I just recently read Shelby's Waiting Period...rec'd by Byrnzie. It was awesome. As I read, I kept thinking how ballsy he is, his writing...I could never admit to those thoughts, nevermind commit them to paper and then publish them.
    I am going to put Last Exit on my list.

It is a great but VERY intense and disturbing book. It took me a long time to process what I was reading. What I mean is it took a long time to get over feeling disturbed and unsettled. Nevertheless, it is a great read.

all selby's books are intense & disturbing. that's why we like him so. either of you read the demon?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Books: Life of Pi (Yann Martel) and The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)

Music: R.E.M.'s Accelerate (Horse to Water in particular) and Raine Maida's The Hunter's Lullaby (Yellow Brick Road or Earthless)

Movies: Once, Sweeney Todd, Across the Universe (yes...all music related :D)
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    all selby's books are intense & disturbing. that's why we like him so. either of you read the demon?
    No. Waiting Period is the only one so far.
    I am going to work my way through his other writings.
    He really is disturbing. Not in a Saw or zombie movie kind of way. His work touches a nerve that is so real...like these things are possible. :eek:
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:
    No. Waiting Period is the only one so far.
    I am going to work my way through his other writings.
    He really is disturbing. Not in a Saw or zombie movie kind of way. His work touches a nerve that is so real...like these things are possible. :eek:

oh i get it trix. tis as if he says what most people are scared to admit of themselves. and you know, we are all capable of the things he speaks of. thats why he's so good. looking into a mirror, into what we as humans are capable of, is a bitch at times and denial is not just a river in egypt. he makes even me squirm at times and that's great. :) HB btw. ;):)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
    In my opinion, Life of Pi is great before the boat trip, kinda average during it and downright absurd at the end.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    oh i get it trix. tis as if he says what most people are scared to admit of themselves. and you know, we are all capable of the things he speaks of. thats why he's so good. looking into a mirror, into what we as humans are capable of, is a bitch at times and denial is not just a river in egypt. he makes even me squirm at times and that's great. :) HB btw. ;):)
    ty
    :)
    It is like looking in a mirror sometimes. You're right. That is what makes him so scary.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    anything by douglas coupland or chuck palahniuck. :)

oh and trix you gotta read selby's last exit to brooklyn. tra la la will break your heart.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    chuck palahniuck. :)
    Choke and Survivor are great. :D
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
    fowls wrote:
    Choke and Survivor are great. :D

when i read invisble monsters i thought... what the fuck? :D:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

You are right about why we like him. I willingly enter his vision. I haven't read The Demon, but I will now. Thanks.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
    You are right about why we like him. I willingly enter his vision. I haven't read The Demon, but I will now. Thanks.

well i base my opinion on how i feel. i have a huge black side(and i allow it to be seen) and i figure(rightly or wrongly) that the majority of us do. some of us are just not willing(for whatever reason) to allow others to know it exists.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    anything by douglas coupland or chuck palahniuck. :)

oh and trix you gotta read selby's last exit to brooklyn. tra la la will break your heart.

That part of the book was almost too much. He was relentless. The movie entirely screwed up by softening the brutality. I grew up in that part of Brooklyn, and my father and grandfather were longshoreman. Both of you hit the nail on the head with what is disturbing about Selby. He cracks open the facade and plays in the darkness. Reading that book was a revelation to me, because it confirmed all my intuitions about the place I grew up. Just under the surface was an extremely dangerous and frightening world.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

...but obviuosly the best way is with sleeping pills and a bag over your had... sitting in a tub filled with water, i think. sounds easy enough. sort of peaceful. go to sleep and thats it. yeah, i guess... if you dont get sick and throw up all the damn pills...yeah lying in a bathtub covered in your own puke, so woozy i cant get out - wait, how would i be covered with puke. i have a plastic bag over my head.. o krist, i/d be suffocated by my own vomit, ugh, thats disgusting and i might be too weak to rip a hole on the bag or get it off and i just sit there aware of whats happening, spinning, falling... falling into what? who knows. whatever you fall into... some abyss guess... down, down into hell... or at least purgatory, at least thats what the catholics say. even the ones that don't have purgatory have a hell. well... what the hell...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Or a new food?
    :)
    I tried the Playdoh icecream today at the icecream shoppe.
    It was actually really good!
    It was bright yellow with pieces of different colored cookie dough in it.
    Yummy.
    I also tried to buy a Love cd....it was 30 dollars! I think maybe I will make sure they are good first.[/QUOT

**Pillars Of The Earth**

A totally Epic book. I purchased it after visiting several catherals in France a few years ago.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i'm fresh out.

sorry trix.
    www.myspace.com
    wow jeags how bored are you to dig up a fossilised thread?? :P :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    ROOM a novel

I heard it was pretty good.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    ROOM a novel

Here we go...

:D
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    ROOM a novel

Here we go...

:D

:lol::lol::lol:
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I have a good song conveniently http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iErNRBTPbEc right here on my paste.

click it.

go ahead.

click it click it click it click it