why is the dentist so expensive!

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I have to get a root canal and a crown next week. I have what is considered "good" dental insurance, but they only cover a maximum of $1000/year. The root canal alone costs more than that, plus I have the crown, and the diagnostic visit I had today. The dentist said if I don't get this fixed ASAP I'll be in severe pain. it's bad enough with insurance, what if I didn't have it?

People are always talking about health care for all. what about dental care!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• double check your health care coverage, sometimes it will cover some dental. Otherwise, get a bottle of jack and wait until January.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• i'd get one done this year and wait for the other until january. $1000 dollars a year? that doesn't sound like very good insurance.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Toothbrush + toothpaste + floss + 1 cleaning every 6 months. = $0 paid out of my pocket to the dentist in the last 12 years (since I got my first job with insurance)....and he keeps supplying me with toothpaste, toothbrushes, and floss!!

Most dental insurance will pay 100% on preventive procedures. But if you neglect your teeth and they have to do major $$ procedures.....it will cost you!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I have to get a root canal and a crown next week. I have what is considered "good" dental insurance, but they only cover a maximum of $1000/year. The root canal alone costs more than that, plus I have the crown, and the diagnostic visit I had today. The dentist said if I don't get this fixed ASAP I'll be in severe pain. it's bad enough with insurance, what if I didn't have it?

People are always talking about health care for all. what about dental care!
    Of course the dentist is telling you to get it done right away...because they know EXACTLY how much money you have left with your insurance. Did you already use some of the 1K?
    Listen, I am so suspicious of the dental practice. No offense to any dentist that may read this.
    We have switched every year until now. I love the practice we are with. Not sheisty at all.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,470
    limiting dental coverage to 1000 or 1500 per year is one common way businesses reduce the health care costs
    the other is making the life insurance benefit very small

get the root canal the last week of december, then the crown in January

or do it all in Jan and use your flex plan dollars to pay any uninsured costs
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,439
    He costs so much because a string tied to the tooth and the fridge door sucks. Plus he has good drugs.
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Of course the dentist is telling you to get it done right away...because they know EXACTLY how much money you have left with your insurance. Did you already use some of the 1K?
    Listen, I am so suspicious of the dental practice. No offense to any dentist that may read this.
    We have switched every year until now. I love the practice we are with. Not sheisty at all.

I'm skeptical of dentists too. once I went to some new dentist and he told me I had to get *8* cavities filled. I have fantastic dental hygiene, so I thought that was a bit off. I only found out AFTER the fact that dentists sometimes lie about that though. This one seems ok though. And he doesn't do the root canal, he sends me to endontist, so she gets paid for that.
  • sennin wrote:
    Toothbrush + toothpaste + floss + 1 cleaning every 6 months. = $0 paid out of my pocket to the dentist in the last 12 years (since I got my first job with insurance)....and he keeps supplying me with toothpaste, toothbrushes, and floss!!

Most dental insurance will pay 100% on preventive procedures. But if you neglect your teeth and they have to do major $$ procedures.....it will cost you!

oh I definitely don't neglect my teeth. toothbrush, floss, and listerine every day. All my dental problems seem to stem from shoddy work a previous dentist has done on my fillings. Plus, all it takes is one little speck of bacteria to hide in some little crack...I mean this problem I have now, I don't know how it could be avoided. it's not stemming from between the teeth where flossing would help. it's actually decayed UNDER an old filling.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    He is expensive because he has to pay for his kid's Ivy League college educations, his 5000 sq ft house, his cabin in the mountains, his boat, his wine club dues, his wife's expensive tastes, his girlfiend, his timeshares and his annual tours of Europe.

I know this because my wife works with dentists (cosmetic dentists) and they all have these.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • It's like having a mouthful of gold. The alternative is extraction. I floss regularly, and use that ultra floss by oral B (if you can get it)... It's the best stuff. Your gums shouldn't bleed or be sore after flossing, or you aren't flossing enough. I also use the green Listerine as well after brushing... brushing 2X daily alone just isn't enough imo....gotta get that burn in as well. When I go to the dentist there's nothing for them to do, they just make it look good for the most part so I fell like I'm getting something for my money.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • TrixieCat wrote:

I became skeptical of dentists a few years ago. The dentist I had gone to since childhood retired, and I went to a new one. He x-rayed my teeth and promptly told me I had 10 cavities that needed to be filled, and urged me to make appointments to start getting them done right away. I was SHOCKED, because up to that point I had never had a single cavity. I walked over to the receptionist to make the appointments (because my head was spinning, and I was just going to make the appointments and then actually process the information...) and I said I couldn't believe I'd gotten such a bad report... And then SHE held up my x-rays and said "oh yeah, you have so many cavities. Even I can see them." The fact that the receptionist was so eager to tell me about my cavities was a red flag... I told her I was goign to wait and make the appointments later.

The next week, I went to a new one. He x-rayed my teeth and told me they were fine. There were two or three places that looked like they could turn into cavities, but he didn't want to drill them because once you start drilling, your teeth are open to so many other problems. To this day, I only have 3 fillings in my mouth!

So...I am VERY skeptical of dentists after that. ;) I know there are honest ones, but just like in every other profession, there are bad ones, too!
    I became skeptical of dentists a few years ago. The dentist I had gone to since childhood retired, and I went to a new one. He x-rayed my teeth and promptly told me I had 10 cavities that needed to be filled, and urged me to make appointments to start getting them done right away. I was SHOCKED, because up to that point I had never had a single cavity. I walked over to the receptionist to make the appointments (because my head was spinning, and I was just going to make the appointments and then actually process the information...) and I said I couldn't believe I'd gotten such a bad report... And then SHE held up my x-rays and said "oh yeah, you have so many cavities. Even I can see them." The fact that the receptionist was so eager to tell me about my cavities was a red flag... I told her I was goign to wait and make the appointments later.

The next week, I went to a new one. He x-rayed my teeth and told me they were fine. There were two or three places that looked like they could turn into cavities, but he didn't want to drill them because once you start drilling, your teeth are open to so many other problems. To this day, I only have 3 fillings in my mouth!

So...I am VERY skeptical of dentists after that. ;) I know there are honest ones, but just like in every other profession, there are bad ones, too!
    :eek: See! I am not crazy....j lo, who always keeps it real, agrees.
    That fu&*er that made me have 2 filled I KNOW was lying. And to boot, they told me I needed some gum restoration work or some crap like that.
    My new dentist told me my teeth are beautiful and he can tell I take good care of them. :)
    I tell everyone I know not to go to the other place. And I told them why I didn't go back. Fu&*ers.
  • I became skeptical of dentists a few years ago. The dentist I had gone to since childhood retired, and I went to a new one. He x-rayed my teeth and promptly told me I had 10 cavities that needed to be filled, and urged me to make appointments to start getting them done right away. I was SHOCKED, because up to that point I had never had a single cavity. I walked over to the receptionist to make the appointments (because my head was spinning, and I was just going to make the appointments and then actually process the information...) and I said I couldn't believe I'd gotten such a bad report... And then SHE held up my x-rays and said "oh yeah, you have so many cavities. Even I can see them." The fact that the receptionist was so eager to tell me about my cavities was a red flag... I told her I was goign to wait and make the appointments later.

same exact thing that happened to me. it's like a mechanic, they can tell you anything and you have to take their word for it.
  • It's like having a mouthful of gold. The alternative is extraction. I floss regularly, and use that ultra floss by oral B (if you can get it)... It's the best stuff. Your gums shouldn't bleed or be sore after flossing, or you aren't flossing enough. I also use the green Listerine as well after brushing... brushing 2X daily alone just isn't enough imo....gotta get that burn in as well. When I go to the dentist there's nothing for them to do, they just make it look good for the most part so I fell like I'm getting something for my money.

oh I spit a pile of blood into the sink every night, and I'm proud of it :).
    oh I spit a pile of blood into the sink every night, and I'm proud of it :).
    :eek:
    I hope you are joking.
    If you are not, you do not have good dental hygiene. Sorry.
    That is not supposed to be happening.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069

:eek: :eek:

I hope you told the 1st dentist office what the 2nd office said.!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    I hope you are joking.

I dunno, my whole life I've bled after flossing, and I floss almost every night. sometimes it's less blood than others. but you have to get under the gum a bit, is what the dentist told me once...that's what makes me bleed I think. I asked if I gingivitis once, but they said no way (you know those commercials that say you have it if you bleed). My teeth are REALLY close together. a lot of times I have pull the floss through cuz I can't get it back out. that causes them to bleed too.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

i'm trying to think...there's a word for that....oh yeah, FRAUD!!.....:eek:....that's bullshit.....as for my dental health......i didn't go to a dentist for 18 years....went for the first time last year.....perfect teeth....:)....unfortunately that's the only perfect thing about me besides my mind....:p :D
    cutback wrote:
    i'm trying to think...there's a word for that....oh yeah, FRAUD!!.........that's bullshit.....as for my dental health......i didn't go to a dentist for 18 years....went for the first time last year.....perfect teeth....:)....unfortunately that's the only perfect thing about me besides my mind....:p
    You are perfectly imperfect. :)

Greentea....I really don't think your gums should be bleeding like that.
    :eek: <---I just learned how to do this today. Sorry if I am overusing. It always reminds me of Steve or Cutback. lol
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    i guess i am lucky. i have gone to the same dental office since i was a child.
    the dentist even cleans my teeth himself. i trust him completely.
    he doesn't give me a hard time when i don't show up for years and then call with a problem and need to get right in.

had to get a crown about a month ago. he is a big pearl jam fan, so we chatted about ed's new songs.
    on my return visit he even played the boot from the cincy 2000 show :D

he's a cool guy. he charged me $755 for the gold crown.
    my insurance pays about half.
    Nice shirt.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    bunch of Anti-dentites around here!!!

:p
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    bunch of Anti-dentites around here!!!

:p
    Bunch of anti-money-grubbing-lying-sobs around here. lol
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,418
    Flagg wrote:
    He is expensive because he has to pay for his kid's Ivy League college educations, his 5000 sq ft house, his cabin in the mountains, his boat, his wine club dues, his wife's expensive tastes, his girlfiend, his timeshares and his annual tours of Europe.

I know this because my wife works with dentists (cosmetic dentists) and they all have these.

If the market value of his services weren't so high, he could not afford all of that stuff!
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,439
    JOEJOEJOE.

Damn you know alot about money! How'd you get to be so smart?
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I hope you are joking.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there's poor dental hygiene.

I used to have gum problems that correlated with different times during my menstrual cycle. ---> http://www.perio.org/consumer/mcycle.htm

It can also be a toothpaste problem. When I switched from Colgate/Crest to Tom's of Maine & JASON products, my gums stopped bleeding and swelling.

Either way, it's good to get a dentist's opinion.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that there's poor dental hygiene.

I used to have gum problems that correlated with different times during my menstrual cycle. ---> http://www.perio.org/consumer/mcycle.htm

It can also be a toothpaste problem. When I switched from Colgate/Crest to Tom's of Maine & JASON products, my gums stopped bleeding and swelling.

Either way, it's good to get a dentist's opinion.
    Oh, good to know.
    I am not a doctor, but I sometimes play one here. :)
    She should check that out.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,418
    tish wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE.

Damn you know alot about money! How'd you get to be so smart?

well, its a mix of formal education, lessons from the streets, and a lot of common sense....also, I am a CPA so I need to know a thing or two!

Also, the more you have, the more you know!
    :)

You had to ask, didn't ya!!!!!
    :)
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Just noticed The Seattle Times printed an article with tips on finding a good dentist.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2004038499_dentist280.html
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    My ego is always smiling after leaving the dentist's office. :D

They all think I've had braces and when they realize I haven't, they make sure to tell me that I'm a "picture of nature's perfection." Ha!
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    My dentist is a crook and she uses scare tactics to get money. She doesnt even participate in the insurance I have now so Im going to look for someone in my plan. I need to get a cavity filled but Im not giving her any business.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.