Options

have you ever had clothes made?

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
My friend is always telling me to do this, and I'm beginning to think it's the only answer. What do you call people who make custom clothes? seamstresses? and do they make like regular clothes custom? like I think it would reasonable to have a suit made or something, but can you get custom jeans and sweaters?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My friend is always telling me to do this, and I'm beginning to think it's the only answer. What do you call people who make custom clothes? seamstresses? and do they make like regular clothes custom? like I think it would reasonable to have a suit made or something, but can you get custom jeans and sweaters?

I haven't done this, but I've known people that get literally everything they buy tailored to fit them exactly. Have you ever tried that? The key is to get things that fit the biggest part of you perfectly, and then have them taken in everywhere else.

I've done this with some things, because I was blessed with broad shoulders. ;):D If I could afford it, I'd do it with everything.
  • Options
    I haven't done this, but I've known people that get literally everything they buy tailored to fit them exactly. Have you ever tried that? The key is to get things that fit the biggest part of you perfectly, and then have them taken in everywhere else.

I've done this with some things, because I was blessed with broad shoulders. ;):D If I could afford it, I'd do it with everything.

honestly, the whole thing sounds like it takes an awful lot of time and effort, the money aside...

whenever I've had things even just shortened, it seems to take FOREVER. and the tailors are never opened normal hours and they're always located someplace miles away you have to drive to. I've just never enjoyed all this.

the other problem is...when I need clothes, it's usually because I need them NOW. I never think of getting new clothes when I've got a perfectly good stock of them at home. Like tonight when I go shopping, it's because I literally cannot get through the week with what I have.
  • Options
    The only apparel I have custom-made are my riding clothes for showing my horses. I have a suit, shirts and vests all custom-tailored to fit me.

I would have no idea where to look to find a tailor who makes custom jeans or sweaters. There are so many brands of jeans that there has to be at least one pair that fits like it was custom-made. I own a few that fit like a glove!
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    i'm lucky to have a couple of girlfriends who studied fashion design at university.....

one of my friends has made me a bridesmaid dress, and the other helped me "alter" my Mike McCready pick shirt so that is was fitted and funky...

i've also thought about asking them to make me more stuff that i can wear every day...

i want custom jeans too...
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options

i want custom jeans too...

well I actually got "custom" jeans at levis a few years ago, but they are really not custom, it's more just piecing together styles and sizes they already have. they actually came out awful, I wore them once.
  • Options
    well I actually got "custom" jeans at levis a few years ago, but they are really not custom, it's more just piecing together styles and sizes they already have. they actually came out awful, I wore them once.

oh no! that's too bad....

i saw something about this website on t.v. a few days ago:
    http://www.ujeans.com

i have no idea if they're any good, but i might check 'em out....
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

given how much you obsess about every pound fluctuation you have, even having tailor made clothes would make you freak out. you'd gain a pound and convince yourself there's no way you could ever fit into that dress again.

i vote for either cosmetic surgery or valium. probably the latter. the problem is not your body or the clothes, the problem is your mind.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    suits and shirts yes

Id love to have a couple of pairs of custom shoes, but they start at about $600.

Casual clothes, no.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    My niece who is hard to fit swears by this place.
    http://www.zafu.com/filter.do?fmethod=GOTO_RESULT_TAB&targetTab=1
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Get_Right wrote:
    suits and shirts yes

Id love to have a couple of pairs of custom shoes, but they start at about $600.

Casual clothes, no.
    I had custom boots made when I was in Hong Kong. You should have some made next time you are in Japan, if they do it there.
    They were so badass...where are they now?? I surely don't know.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I had custom boots made when I was in Hong Kong. You should have some made next time you are in Japan, if they do it there.
    They were so badass...where are they now?? I surely don't know.

Im sure they do it Japan, but thats the last place I would go for any clothes (except uniqlo and traditional japanese clothing)
    London, NYC or Milan would probabaly be my choice.

I really want to get a pair, but I cannot justify the price

at least until junior gets to college.
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    My niece who is hard to fit swears by this place.
    http://www.zafu.com/filter.do?fmethod=GOTO_RESULT_TAB&targetTab=1

that site seems pretty good! (though I wasn't quite sure how to answer all the questions). I don't think I'll be able to find the sizes/styles/lengths it recommends for me in the store, so I'll have to sit down and use it to online shop at some point.
  • Options

did you watch what not to wear this weekend????? They totally said that exact thing about fiting the biggest part of someone!!
  • Options
    did you watch what not to wear this weekend????? They totally said that exact thing about fiting the biggest part of someone!!

yeah they are big that. I wish one of my friends would sign me up for that show. the problem is, I have a decent fashion sense, and I never wear stuff that makes me look totally HORRIBLE, I just have no idea how to shop.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    there are companies out there that come to your home/office to fit an entire wardrobe if you want...suits, shirts, pants, skirts, formal, outerwear, casual, shoes, etc.

they're usually pretty pricey since they cater to executives with big budgets and limited time to shop for themselves.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    roar wrote:
    there are companies out there that come to your home/office to fit an entire wardrobe if you want...suits, shirts, pants, skirts, formal, outerwear, casual, shoes, etc.

they're usually pretty pricey since they cater to executives with big budgets and limited time to shop for themselves.

i'm doing this once i get rolling with a firm. i hate shopping and have no sense of fashion. i only buy clothes when i need to and wear them until they disintegrate. i would love to have someone just tell me what to wear. i usually use girlfriends for that. whatever style she likes, i adopt.
  • Options
    bmwweirdoguybmwweirdoguy Right of Seattle Posts: 228
    Check Nordstrom - they custom make dress shirts...plus it's the only store where I can find reasonably priced dress shirts that fit me - 15 1/2 neck 34/35 length
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • Options
    Check Nordstrom -

They also have an in-house seamstress, to tailor whatever you need. The turn around is about a week. Same goes for Bloomingdale's. The prices are reasonable, and they usually do a better job than the average neighborhood dry cleaner/tailor does.
  • Options
    that site seems pretty good! (though I wasn't quite sure how to answer all the questions). I don't think I'll be able to find the sizes/styles/lengths it recommends for me in the store, so I'll have to sit down and use it to online shop at some point.

Yeah, they are always going on about that, aren't they? :D
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    , and the other helped me "alter" my Mike McCready pick shirt so that is was fitted and funky...

ask "Imspinnin" about her custom made PJ womens concert t-shirts...

She converts the exisiting band ones into "girlie" style..

I keep telling her she could make a fortune...

every PJ concert its the same...

"Oh my gawd.. where did you get that??"

Ten girls ask her that every show..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    ask "Imspinnin" about her custom made PJ womens concert t-shirts...

She converts the exisiting band ones into "girlie" style..

I keep telling her she could make a fortune...

every PJ concert its the same...

"Oh my gawd.. where did you get that??"

Ten girls ask her that every show..
    ha ha...stop, ya making me blush:o
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.