Options

the conflict of weekends

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I always feel sooooo guilty if I'm not productive on weekends. there is so much to do- groceries, errands, cleaning, work outs, finances (because really, when else can you do it?)....but also weekends should be for relaxing and sometimes I just want to sit in my pajamas and watch bad TV! I'm doing the latter and I feel sooooo guilty!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I really have no guilt about my weekends. Guilt is reserved strictly for doing fuck all Monday to Friday. :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    i know what you mean.....my place is a disaster yet i'd rather just sit back and watch the games.....the laundry will wait, right? ;):D
  • Options
    My weekends are Monday and Tuesday.I work on the trad. weekend.It sucks,but that's my life right now.And don't feel guilty people.Enjoy your time off.
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    You are single....relax on the weekend while you can.

:o But I know what you mean...I was sacked out on the sofa watching Real Housewives....<--pathetic, but they are awesome.
    I was thinking wth is wrong with me???? I have a gagillion things to be doing.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    You are single....relax on the weekend while you can.

:o But I know what you mean...I was sacked out on the sofa watching Real Housewives....<--pathetic, but they are awesome.
    I was thinking wth is wrong with me???? I have a gagillion things to be doing.

I don't think being single changes anything. I don't have anyone to split anything with.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I don't think being single changes anything. I don't have anyone to split anything with.
    When you are married and then have children...you don't get alot of time to relax and watch the paint dry. That is my point.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    one of my 117 rules of life is never be guilty about anything you do!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    When you are married and then have children...you don't get alot of time to relax and watch the paint dry. That is my point.

you don't when you're single either, even if you don't have kids. I don't think anyone does! I get home from work so late during the week, sometimes I go straight to bed after walking through the door. I'm lucky I don't have to work this weekend! I worked the past 3!

I've started cleaning and trying to do something with my "spare" room (this little room where I keep my clothes, my desk, some books, and an old TV. it's been a problem since I moved in!)
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

117? interesting.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    YI was sacked out on the sofa watching Real Housewives....<--pathetic, but they are awesome.

I LOVE that show! :o:D;)

And, GTD, I have always had the same conflict on weekends. However, now that I'm responsible for another person (along with my husband of course) I grab the chance to slack whenever it's presented to me! On the flipside of that, sometimes it's much easier to get stuff like laundry done on the weekend when my husband is home, so sometimes I actually get excited about doing the laundry on a weekend. (Yes, I realize how lame that is...lol.)
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    117? interesting.

well no.36 is kinda boring
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    you don't when you're single either, even if you don't have kids. I don't think anyone does! I get home from work so late during the week, sometimes I go straight to bed after walking through the door. I'm lucky I don't have to work this weekend! I worked the past 3!

I've started cleaning and trying to do something with my "spare" room (this little room where I keep my clothes, my desk, some books, and an old TV. it's been a problem since I moved in!)
    I don't have kids, and I sure as hell recognize that while everyone has errands and things to get done, no one is busier or has less free time than a parent. There's a huge difference between taking care of one person and taking care of four or five. Laundry alone is a day's work. Grocery shopping becomes a larger chore, as does cleaning a house of 4 or 5. On top of chores and errands that need to be done, the kids need to be run around all weekend. When you become a parent, you become a chauffeur. There are early morning hockey practices, followed by mid-day hockey games for all the kids, and you're sitting in the stands (or standing behind the bench as a coach) at each of your kids' games and practices cheering them on. And, of course, your kids' games are never at the same arena, so you're driving from one end of town to another, while dropping the kid who just finished off at a birthday party on the way and picking up another kid's friend for a play date. There is absolutely no comparison.

Those of us with no children, should enjoy our free time while we can, and NEVER feel guilty about it. I like to be productive, as well, but sometimes there's nothing better than lying out on the couch in your pyjamas all day watching movies or bad t.v. Never feel guilty for taking the opportunity to relax.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    well I did finally get some stuff done today. I don't think I'll have to work late this week (of course that also means that I'll nothing to do and 0 billable time). so maybe i'll be able to finish everything. I did not get to refinancing my student loans AGAIN though, not did I do the enormous amounts of returns I have in my closet....AGAIN.
  • Options
    I
    Those of us with no children, should enjoy our free time while we can, and NEVER feel guilty about it.

it's not REALLY "free" time though, is it?
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Sleep, bum around. But maybe you should do something like one weekend on one weekend off. So u bum around every 2nd weekend.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    dunkman wrote:

amen to that.

if I feel like doing nothing....let some laundry slide, vacuum later, whatever...I don't feel guilty. Right now? my house is a mess from having friends here, spaghetti/meatballs served, watched football (still am). some stuff is in the dishwasher, some of it still on the counter but you know what? I had a good day and I don't feel like cleaning it right now. I have tomorrow off so I'll slack tonight and do it tomorrow....no guilt involved. Guilt is a wasted feeling, seriously. If you truly did something WRONG, then 'fess up to it, move on and be done with it. But to feel guilty because you didn't make your bed, throw in a load of laundry or go to the gym is a waste.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    I absolutely 100% agree with this. Last weekend was the first and last weekend in a LONG long time where I got to do absolutely nothing... and that I did! I didn't leave the house from when I got home Friday night until last night when I decided I should go to the shop. Ok I spent a few hours cleaning yesterday while the snooker was on :) but Saturday night my housemate cooked while I made the white russians and it was really nice... then she went out and I discovered it was Everest night on Discovery channel :) so that had me up til almost 5am :) Friday night I had the house to myself :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    If it makes you feel better to be productive, be productive.

I generally get up on Saturday morning and do all the cleaning, errands, laundry, etc. If I bust my tail at it, I can pretty much have it done before noon and then I have the rest of the weekend to relax.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    If it makes you feel better to be productive, be productive.

I generally get up on Saturday morning and do all the cleaning, errands, laundry, etc. If I bust my tail at it, I can pretty much have it done before noon and then I have the rest of the weekend to relax.
    :eek: People get up before noon on a Saturday? :confused: REALLY? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :eek: People get up before noon on a Saturday? :confused: REALLY? :o

lol :)

I literally can't remember the last time I slept past 10 AM!

Part of it is that the baby wakes me, but even on the days my husband gets up with her, I'm usually up about 9 or 9:30 at the very latest. And then I feel like I've missed half the day, lol.
  • Options

Part of it is that the baby wakes me, but even on the days my husband gets up with her, I'm usually up about 9 or 9:30 at the very latest. And then I feel like I've missed half the day, lol.
    :o well yep, I can understand if there's a baby. If I'm doing nothing on a Saturday I'm rarely out of bed before 2pm :o usually cos I was up til about 5 or 6 am though. I'm a total night owl.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314

I rarely sleep past 8am on the weekends, mainly because of my dogs. They were with "dad" last night and I was still up at 7:30 today. My body clock just wakes me up.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    I rarely sleep past 8am on the weekends, mainly because of my dogs. They were with "dad" last night and I was still up at 7:30 today. My body clock just wakes me up.
    :D well yep, I have that problem sometimes... also it's not just the body clock, it's all the fucking alarm clocks. I often forget to turn them off at the weekends. So Saturday morning, I woke up at 6.20, 6.30 and 6.40am to MY alarm clocks... then my housemates two alarm clocks went off about 8am (but he was still out from the night before so I had to get up and go into his room to turn them off) and THEN my other housemates alarm went off at about 10am for maybe an hour and a half every few minutes :eek : . So even though I may not get UP til 2, 3, 4 whatever, I'm actually usually awake from quite early and find some crap film to watch or repeats of the soaps or whatever. If I've nothing planned... what's the difference in staying in bed watching tv and actually getting up and lying on the couch watching tv? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    I'm the same way, but it's more like 6-6:30. It's cool though. I seem to get lots more done in a day now.
  • Options
    until I was about 25 I always got up at a reasonable hour on weekends (and I always popped out of bed as soon as my alarm went off on week days). then something happened to me and now stay in my bed as long as physically possible. not sleeping all the time mind you. in fact I enjoy NOT sleeping my bed so that I can experience the feeling of just lying there and comfy sheets and stuff. It has been a very strange metamorphosis.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i have no *conflict*...guilt is a wasted emotion. sure, the doghair dust bunnies may pile up at times, but i simply don't care. i like to enjoy my life, enjoy my time off...so unless there is something TRULY pressing which i MUST get done, and honestly...that doesn't happen all that much in my personal life, i do as i please with my free time. sure, laundry has to get done, but much of all *else* can wait until i feel like getting around to it. i cannot imagine living my life worrying about so much, how i am perceived or not, and feeling so much guilt for how i choose to live, the choices i make, etc...sounds exhausting. so hell yea...i did do laudry and ran/emptied the dishwasher, VERY minimal errands on saturday...and then fuck-all the rest of the weekend, enjoyed my time, luxuriated in sleeping late, being home...and sure, the doghair is still there. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow