Options

while on the topic of the first name thread...

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
My first name, which I do not care to share right now, is a fairly normal name, however, the spelling is NOT normal, and to make matters worse, if you change one or two letters, you can get 4 other fairly common names. People get it wrong ALL the time. They get it wrong if they've just received an email from me with my name, obviously, spelled correctly. Relatives I've known my whole life get it wrong. And my last name is what you might call "ethnic" but it is not difficult to spell or pronounce at all, yet people get it wrong ALL the time. My friend who has a very complicated, spelling-wise, muslim last name was just complaining about a new butchering someone made of it...and I just don't get it...when I am emailing someone or meeting them for the first time, I make sure I have their name correct. If it is a name that can be spelled different ways, I make sure I have correct. I just feel like it is polite to get someone's name correct! Does anyone agree? I mean I've just stopped responding to people who call me one of the 4 other closely related names to my name.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    At least your name doesn't rhyme with smelly...
  • Options
    I think maybe 2 people in history have ever pronounced my last name correctly before on the first try. And it's a common Irish name...nothing fancy about it...people just have trouble saying it. It's not a problem imo. My dad always makes a huge fuss about it, but I don't see what the big deal is. I don't think people are trying to be rude, and most of us have many more important things to do during the day than make sure we're pronouncing a name correctly.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    I cant directly relate, but many of my friends have the same thing, and my sister has a rare Irish name (uncommon even within Ireland). it can be a pain in the ass and hugely ignorant on other people parts but hey, move past it. Someone gets it wrong, politely correct them. Or forget about it, theyll be embarrased enough when they realise they were calling you the wrong name.
  • Options
    People never spell my name right, and they cannot say my last name if trying to read it, or spell it if I give it.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    i have a good friend named "alissa" and hers gets messed up all the time and its such a simple name.. i dont get it.
  • Options
    At least your name doesn't rhyme with smelly...

Sometimes we call my daughter Smelly Smelly Annabelly. :D

We figure that we're toughening her up for the playground. ;)
  • Options
    My first name, which I do not care to share right now, is a fairly normal name, however, the spelling is NOT normal, and to make matters worse, if you change one or two letters, you can get 4 other fairly common names. People get it wrong ALL the time. They get it wrong if they've just received an email from me with my name, obviously, spelled correctly. Relatives I've known my whole life get it wrong. And my last name is what you might call "ethnic" but it is not difficult to spell or pronounce at all, yet people get it wrong ALL the time. My friend who has a very complicated, spelling-wise, muslim last name was just complaining about a new butchering someone made of it...and I just don't get it...when I am emailing someone or meeting them for the first time, I make sure I have their name correct. If it is a name that can be spelled different ways, I make sure I have correct. I just feel like it is polite to get someone's name correct! Does anyone agree? I mean I've just stopped responding to people who call me one of the 4 other closely related names to my name.

My name is Jenna and people have called me "Jenny" and "Gina" my entire life. I feel your pain. :D

My name has five letters. It is spelled in the most logical and phonetic way possible. I don't see what makes it so hard.

For this reason, I try very hard to pronounce and spell people's names correctly!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    People always spell my name (Jamie) Jaime. I don't understand it. That is the female spelling if it is ever used. Only hispanic males are occasionally called Jaime as far as I know. It's very annoying.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I just feel like it is polite to get someone's name correct! Does anyone agree? I mean I've just stopped responding to people who call me one of the 4 other closely related names to my name.

Althought I agree, I am absolutely horrible at names! Not the pronunciation, but rather the remembering. Not an age thing either. Always been that way. Guess it could be laziness.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Althought I agree, I am absolutely horrible at names! Not the pronunciation, but rather the remembering. Not an age thing either. Always been that way. Guess it could be laziness.

it's not when people *forget* my name that I have a problem with. that is fine. I just think it's rude-and VERY unprofessional-to say, email a colleague and make up whatever name you want for them, when their real name is right there in front of you or easily accessible.
  • Options
    it's not when people *forget* my name that I have a problem with. that is fine. I just think it's rude-and VERY unprofessional-to say, email a colleague and make up whatever name you want for them, when their real name is right there in front of you or easily accessible.

That is terrible. I'm glad I have such a common name sometimes!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:

I have trouble remembering names, too. I hate it. I need to work on that, but I don't know how. Does anyone have any tips? :)
  • Options
    I have trouble remembering names, too. I hate it. I need to work on that, but I don't know how. Does anyone have any tips? :)

I know they say word association helps but I'll probably end up calling the person "Bob Banana" instead of just Bob.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options

If I can't remember someone's name, I usually just ask them.

A couple weeks ago I called someone by the completely wrong name. I think their name was Elissa and I called them Julie or something :). It was embarrassing, but I was drunk so I just used that as a cover.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

i'm the same.....a tip i try to do is when someone says their name to you, say it back

"hi. i'm dick hertz."

"please to meet you dick."

:p
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    i'm the same.....a tip i try to do is when someone says their name to you, say it back

"hi. i'm dick hertz."

In the rare occurence that I meet someone named Dick I always have to be careful to not be too emphatic with it's pronunciation. Problems can and will arise. One of my first jobs in high school had the manager I worked for named Dick. Needless to say there was a lot of "Hey DICK, how are ya" or "Thanks DICK for not giving me the day off". Good times.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    mookie9999 wrote:
    In the rare occurence that I meet someone named Dick I always have to be careful to not be too emphatic with it's pronunciation. Problems can and will arise. One of my first jobs in high school had the manager I worked for named Dick. Needless to say there was a lot of "Hey DICK, how are ya" or "Thanks DICK for not giving me the day off". Good times.

seriously...your name is richard and you choose to go by dick....c'mon rich, rick anything but dick....:D
  • Options
    If I can't remember someone's name, I usually just ask them.

A couple weeks ago I called someone by the completely wrong name. I think their name was Elissa and I called them Julie or something :). It was embarrassing, but I was drunk so I just used that as a cover.

Maybe I'll just use that as my excuse, too. :D
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

"hi. i'm dick hertz."

Yeah, I've heard that one before. I need to do that.
  • Options
    It was embarrassing, but I was drunk so I just used that as a cover.

Guess that won't go over too well at work?!?
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"