A Song of Ice and Fire

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else a fan of this jaw dropping, outstanding, pulse pounding, addictive, captivating, gruesome, original, complex series of fantasy novels? I'm not a big Sci-fi/fantasy reader because it always seems to be the lone farm boy discovering magic and destroying the Evil Warlord.

But this series is just amazing. More War of the Roses than Lord of the Rings. I read the first four when I was 15 and I'm just coming back to them now a couple of years later and they're still amazing. If you like your fantasy with a bit of extreme violence and incest then you can't go wrong with these books.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah they are amazing but the drop from storm of swords to feast of crows is unreal.... SOS is one of the best fantasy books every written, FOC is a fucking snooze fest. I dont care about any of the charecters in it, the last 100 pages was the only good part.

Hopefully the new one A Dance with Dragons will be better, and hopefully he knows when to end the series (7 books he has said) and not get Robert Jordan syndrome and milk it for all its worth.

Also there is a rumoured mini series in devolepment that would focus each season on one book. for example season 1 would be a game of thrones, season 2 would be be clash of kings etc etc, should be good.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Looks like there isn't much love for this series here :(
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Incredible series, one of my favorite. Feast for Crows wasn't that bad, I kind of enjoyed it. Can't wait for A Dance of Dragons though... apparently they will also be making these books into an HBO series, which should be great.

George RR Martin is so incredibly insane, some of the most amazing plot twists ever.
  • great books. only read the first 3 so far. arya is best. for a 9(?) year old girl she is pretty wicked. i also like jon snow he kinda is typical fantasy character. the average nobody that is in a place to save the world. this is my guess dany will reclaim the throne, and marry her kin jon snow, just the way the targs like to rule.

when the series started i think it was only supposed to be 3 books. the feast for crows, dance with dragons was supposed to be one book but got to big so he splited it. now its at 7. probably when he started he had point a and b planned out and didnt realize how much story he had in between.
    great books. only read the first 3 so far. arya is best. for a 9(?) year old girl she is pretty wicked. i also like jon snow he kinda is typical fantasy character. the average nobody that is in a place to save the world. this is my guess dany will reclaim the throne, and marry her kin jon snow, just the way the targs like to rule.

when the series started i think it was only supposed to be 3 books. the feast for crows, dance with dragons was supposed to be one book but got to big so he splited it. now its at 7. probably when he started he had point a and b planned out and didnt realize how much story he had in between.
    I think it was supposed to be 6 books, then he just split 1 of them into Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons.
  • _outlaw wrote:
    I think it was supposed to be 6 books, then he just split 1 of them into Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons.

Yeah well he spilt the characters, Brienne, Cersei, Jamie as the "A" stories Sansa, Arya and Sam as the "B" stories went into one book. I would assume Jon and Dany will be the"A" stories in the next book.

All the Greyjoy and Dornish stuff was super boring in FOC. I stuck with it though because I figured he is a genius writer and he must have a plan, that this stuff must move the story forward somehow.

Whoever was alluding to Jon and Danys future all I have to say is welcome to the world captain obvious lmao, the series is called A Song of ICE (JON) and FIRE (DANY).
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Whoever was alluding to Jon and Danys future all I have to say is welcome to the world captain obvious lmao, the series is called A Song of ICE (JON) and FIRE (DANY).

the ice and jon reference would be a stretch, because if he is a targ, where does the ice come in? his father would be rhaeger. and women have no claim in this world. so his mothers heritage doesnt make him a stark at all. maybe youre biting at the obvious, there is more going on then the series title.

but the promise eddard made and jons secret parents. but with martin you can never know for sure. jon could be killed in the next book or dany for that matter. there is enough support that that whore or whatever is jons mom, and eddard is his dad. plus at one point martin mentioned the final book was to be called a 'time for wolves' but he changed his mind. so maybe jon is a bastard stark after all, maybe arya will take the throne, or bran.

also i looked it back up the series was supposed to be a trilogy. and even 7 books isnt 100% so who knows how long he will make this series. i just hope he doesnt drag it out too much.
  • the ice and jon reference would be a stretch, because if he is a targ, where does the ice come in? his father would be rhaeger. and women have no claim in this world. so his mothers heritage doesnt make him a stark at all. maybe youre biting at the obvious, there is more going on then the series title.

but the promise eddard made and jons secret parents. but with martin you can never know for sure. jon could be killed in the next book or dany for that matter. there is enough support that that whore or whatever is jons mom, and eddard is his dad. plus at one point martin mentioned the final book was to be called a 'time for wolves' but he changed his mind. so maybe jon is a bastard stark after all, maybe arya will take the throne, or bran.

also i looked it back up the series was supposed to be a trilogy. and even 7 books isnt 100% so who knows how long he will make this series. i just hope he doesnt drag it out too much.

Where do you get that he is a targ ?? im pretty sure in the SOS someone mentions that eddard is indeed his dad and there is a whore who is his mom, i cant recall ever hearing anything about him being a targ, refresh my memory on that one please.

I thought that Robb was the ICE in title and then after he got killed off i was pretty sure it was Bran the Boring. A friend and i talked though and she is certain that it is indeed Jon, I think that GRRM has said it on his blog and also said that it was originally supposed to be 3 then got bloated to 6 and he had to split DOD so it got pushed to 7.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Also, the title of the last book is going to be A time for Wolves from what i understand still, i think he just said that it is not to try and keep the ending a "secret"
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    Where do you get that he is a targ ?? im pretty sure in the SOS someone mentions that eddard is indeed his dad and there is a whore who is his mom, i cant recall ever hearing anything about him being a targ, refresh my memory on that one please.
    I don't think it's a whore, I thought it was Ashara Dayne or whatever her name was.
    Also, the title of the last book is going to be A time for Wolves from what i understand still, i think he just said that it is not to try and keep the ending a "secret"
    No, it's A Dream of Spring.
  • http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

for a quick rundown of what they mention, eddard never says jon is his son, only his blood. and his sister, lyanna was with rhaegar, and all the vile things said about rhaegar comes from robert, which he wanted to marry lyanna. so how truthful are his claims that rhaegar captured and raped her? maybe she went with rhaegar? her 'promise me' thing would have been to protect her baby (jon?) if robert found out he was a targ he would have had it killed. and eddard would protect family before upholding a friendship.

and why else would dany take jon to be her king, if he wasnt related? if he wasnt a targ he'd have no chance, the night watch swear an oath, which he'll have to break, or maybe the queen of westeros can release. but dany would have no interest in jon, since he is working along side the brother of the man that destoried her family's kingdom, unless of course they are siblings. and targs are more into that than cersei and jaime.

lots and lots of theories. plus somewhere on the site there are rumors aegon is still alive. that changes everything if thats true.

happy readings, can spend hours on that site reading stuff. oh and you can edit the info by the books youve read so it doesnt spoil anything (which is great cause i havent read the 4th one yet)
  • _outlaw wrote:
    I don't think it's a whore, I thought it was Ashara Dayne or whatever her name was.

bam thats it !! i wast thinking it was a dornish chick but i couldnt bring it up in the memory banks
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

for a quick rundown of what they mention, eddard never says jon is his son, only his blood. and his sister, lyanna was with rhaegar, and all the vile things said about rhaegar comes from robert, which he wanted to marry lyanna. so how truthful are his claims that rhaegar captured and raped her? maybe she went with rhaegar? her 'promise me' thing would have been to protect her baby (jon?) if robert found out he was a targ he would have had it killed. and eddard would protect family before upholding a friendship.

and why else would dany take jon to be her king, if he wasnt related? if he wasnt a targ he'd have no chance, the night watch swear an oath, which he'll have to break, or maybe the queen of westeros can release. but dany would have no interest in jon, since he is working along side the brother of the man that destoried her family's kingdom, unless of course they are siblings. and targs are more into that than cersei and jaime.

lots and lots of theories. plus somewhere on the site there are rumors aegon is still alive. that changes everything if thats true.

happy readings, can spend hours on that site reading stuff. oh and you can edit the info by the books youve read so it doesnt spoil anything (which is great cause i havent read the 4th one yet)

cool !!! thanks !!!!

ugh... FOC is a tough read, its pretty slow.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • _outlaw wrote:
    No, it's A Dream of Spring.

ok yeah i have heard that title as well.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • finished the affc and i didnt think it was slow at all. i like the martells so that was great. i hate greyjoys but i dont mind them screwing with the lannisters. let those 2 kill each other in battle. i didnt care much brienne though. cant want for the next book and more arianne in the next book!!!!

*spolier*
    anyone think littlefinger is setting sansa up? if she parades out in stark attire for the wedding wont the lannisters find out and send an army to the vale to kill her. plus it would ruin any allegiance between the vale and the lannisters too wouldnt it? why is littlefinger doing this for sansa? i think he's up to something....

i sure hope arya isnt permanently blind, that wouldnt make sense if she's to become one of the faceless ones, since most of them arent blind its not part of the being an assassin.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I just got into these recently. I struggled at first... Game of Thrones was good, but I don't think I was ready for the way he handles plots and characters and pov's. Plus, I was reading it amidst classes so it was difficult to really immerse in it. Still, it was compelling. I got 300 pages into Clash of Kings and just about gave up. I ended up picking it back up though and damned if the second half wasn't amazing! Then I read Storm of Swords over xmas break and it's one of the best novels I ever read. So much happening in that book. The only problem I had was that when I gave up on CoK in the middle, I read a few summaries figuring I at least wanted to know what happened with the story. The Red Wedding is pretty damn compelling anyway, but I can only imagine how shocking that would have been to read with no idea what was happening. I was kicking myself for spoiling that surprise for myself :(

I've decided to hold off on Feast for Crows though. I figure that since it was supposed to be one book with Dance with Dragons, Id wait until that one is out and read them both together. I also want to reread the first 3 before that happens. I've never read a series where I got to the end (at least of SoS) and wanted so badly to go back and reread the whole thing from the beginning.

Apparently they're doing an HBO series for it, the pilot has been green lighted. I hope it works out, because that could be pretty incredible. HBO has a good track record for season-long plot arc based tv (the Wire).

Right now I'm reading Tad Williams' 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' series. Apparently, it's the series that inspired Martin to write Song of Ice and Fire. The first book is the Dragonbone Chair and halfway through it's alright. It's definitely more of a classic high fantasy style, and it's kind of hard to believe it was so influential upon Martin. But it's still a solid read and I'm getting hooked.
  • the red wedding is still having its effect in affc.... i read alot of bad reviews for affc it but i think its an excellent setup for whatever is gonna happen next. i hope the rumored april date for dance with dragons is true the only reason i waited so long to read this book was cause i didnt want a huge gap in between readings. 4-5 years betweens book is a long time.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    i hope the rumored april date for dance with dragons . . .

Where did you hear this rumor? :shock: I just checked the GRRM website and nada. His last update was over a year ago. I can hardly wait. What an amazing year this would be if PJ released a new album, did a Canadian/West Coast tour and Martin released a new book in the SoIF series. I would be in heaven :D:) :P
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    i hope the rumored april date for dance with dragons . . .

Where did you hear this rumor? :shock: I just checked the GRRM website and nada. His last update was over a year ago. I can hardly wait. What an amazing year this would be if PJ released a new album, did a Canadian/West Coast tour and Martin released a new book in the SoIF series. I would be in heaven :D:) :P

I wouldn't hold out too much hope. From what I hear, the date has been "announced" several times and those dates fly past with no sign of the book.

In similar news, Patrick Rothfuss has pushed his sequel t Name of the Wind back as well. That was really disappointing. I bought that book because it's gotten a lot of rave reviews and is one of the higher profile fantasy releases of the past few years AND the series was supposedly finished and ready to go with a new one each year. There's a reason I kept away from this genre for so many years!
  • i read the first book in this series over the summer and i LOVED it. i started reading the second right away, but it seemed boring to me. i might try them again, and maybe i should have read something in between to break it up a bit. did anyone else find the second book lagging, or is it just me?
  • i hope the rumored april date for dance with dragons . . .

its a date a uk publisher mentioned. but even martin has said unless you see it on his site dont count on publisher dates and such. but its been pushed pack for almost 3 years now. if it takes 3 years to take the other half of a story you wrote 4-5 years ago to be released i guess the 6th book wont come out for another 10 years.......
    i read the first book in this series over the summer and i LOVED it. i started reading the second right away, but it seemed boring to me. i might try them again, and maybe i should have read something in between to break it up a bit. did anyone else find the second book lagging, or is it just me?

I did. I actually gave up around page 300. Stopped reading entirely. Nothing seemed to be happening. But damned if it didn't finish pretty strong. Talk is that Martin originally envisioned the series as 2 trilogies, so Clash of Kings kinda suffers from middle book syndrome... it's setting things up for finales and it's very dark and more character driven. But I'd encourage you to stick with it. The second half of that book picks up tremendously in terms of excitement and the next book, Storm of Swords, might be the most stunning novel I ever read.
  • I did. I actually gave up around page 300. Stopped reading entirely. Nothing seemed to be happening. But damned if it didn't finish pretty strong. Talk is that Martin originally envisioned the series as 2 trilogies, so Clash of Kings kinda suffers from middle book syndrome... it's setting things up for finales and it's very dark and more character driven. But I'd encourage you to stick with it. The second half of that book picks up tremendously in terms of excitement and the next book, Storm of Swords, might be the most stunning novel I ever read.

yeah i just looked, and it's page 250 where i stopped. i think maybe i'll just reread the first book as well because i don't think i'd remember it well enough to just start again with the second. that said, this semester just started so it might have to wait until summer haha. damn you, grad school!
    I did. I actually gave up around page 300. Stopped reading entirely. Nothing seemed to be happening. But damned if it didn't finish pretty strong. Talk is that Martin originally envisioned the series as 2 trilogies, so Clash of Kings kinda suffers from middle book syndrome... it's setting things up for finales and it's very dark and more character driven. But I'd encourage you to stick with it. The second half of that book picks up tremendously in terms of excitement and the next book, Storm of Swords, might be the most stunning novel I ever read.

yeah i just looked, and it's page 250 where i stopped. i think maybe i'll just reread the first book as well because i don't think i'd remember it well enough to just start again with the second. that said, this semester just started so it might have to wait until summer haha. damn you, grad school!

yea, i started book 2 during law school classes and it was tough, probably partly why i stopped. not easy reding when you cant immerse yourself. i finished it over thanksgiving though... 600 pages in less than a week. that should give some indication of how the second half improved, though arya's chapters were a chore. jon and tyrion were fascinating though.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Love it.