Options

Week-end Roadtrip Suggestions?

Ridin The WaveRidin The Wave Posts: 552
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Anybody have any suggestions for good roadtrips that can be done in a week-end?

I usually try to see a lot of the same thing in one week-end, but I can't really think of anything cool to hunt for. i.e. Breweries within a 4 hour radius of my house. Or wineries. Or...[insert idea here].

If you want to be specific, I'm in the Southern Ontario region.

If not, just throw some ideas out there and I'll see if any of those [....] exist in my area.

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    depends on how long your week-end really is and how far you are willing to drive ... about 5 hrs from you are the adirondacks - you can do winter stuff there and lake placid is kinda cool ... you can skate on the old olympic oval and check out the ski jumping and ride a bobsled ... and i'm pretty sure there are some micro-breweries there ...

this is in NY state in case you aren't familiar ...
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    polaris wrote:
    depends on how long your week-end really is and how far you are willing to drive ... about 5 hrs from you are the adirondacks - you can do winter stuff there and lake placid is kinda cool ... you can skate on the old olympic oval and check out the ski jumping and ride a bobsled ... and i'm pretty sure there are some micro-breweries there ...

this is in NY state in case you aren't familiar ...

Great idea! I was going to suggest Montreal and hit St. Catherine Street, but I don't Jo would be too inclined to hit the strip bars!

Lake Placid has it all...great restaurants, microbrews, and some kick ass Olympic rides. I've done the bobsled, and I would recommend it 100%. If you're a skier, then Whiteface is the place to be. Cross Country skiing trails are everywhere. Snow shoeing, hiking, whatever...46 peaks. LP is sweet!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    the adirondacks is a wicked idea.....that just might be my first trip.....thanks for that....

the longest my week-end could be is from a thursday evening to a sunday night.....

and 5 hours is definitely do-able.....

i'm looking to spend most of my week-ends from now until september-ish on the road..... (no clue how realistic this is....but planning for it at least)
  • Options
    Great idea! I was going to suggest Montreal and hit St. Catherine Street, but I don't Jo would be too inclined to hit the strip bars!

Haha - well a girl's gotta make money somehow if she's gonna spend her summer on the road, right??? :)
    Lake Placid has it all...great restaurants, microbrews, and some kick ass Olympic rides. I've done the bobsled, and I would recommend it 100%. If you're a skier, then Whiteface is the place to be. Cross Country skiing trails are everywhere. Snow shoeing, hiking, whatever...46 peaks. LP is sweet!

I'm definitely doing this. I love skiing....and i've never been on a bobsled before, but it sounds like lots of fun....
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Haha - well a girl's gotta make money somehow if she's gonna spend her summer on the road, right??? :)

I'm definitely doing this. I love skiing....and i've never been on a bobsled before, but it sounds like lots of fun....

Aw kid if you go you're gonna love it! There are plenty of motels around between LP and Saranac Lake, which is about 15 miles away. As for LP, you can also skate in the Olympic Oval, where Eric Heiden won 5 Gold Medals. Might I also suggest planted yourself down at the Lake Placid Brewing Company for a few hours and grab some Ubu Ale...mighty fine stuff, and if they have any left, you can take home a growler or two. For dinner, go to Nicola's. You might want to make a reservation, because it's that good. A bit expensive, but you won't regret it...and they also have a bar area where you can go relax if you don't want to sit down to eat (or make a reservation). The bobsled may have a waiting line, but it's worth it. I damn near fell off the thing when I went. You can also take a gondala up to the ski jump platforms...an awesome sight. Christ I sound like a tour guide!!! :)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    me and some friends at work are taking off after school and driving 10 hrs, to rocky mtn. national park to spend the weekend showshoeing and ice climbing. i have never done either of these sports and i am looking forward to it.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    me and some friends at work are taking off after school and driving 10 hrs, to rocky mtn. national park to spend the weekend showshoeing and ice climbing. i have never done either of these sports and i am looking forward to it.

do your friends know what they are doing? ... ice climbing is cool but you need to do it with someone who's got experience or you can get yourself in trouble ...

ridin the wave - if you like skiing ... a place closer would be ellicotville - also in NY and they also have a micro-brewery there ... do the sampler ... it's only like 1.5 hrs from you ... the ski hill isn't that big but it's ok and there is lots of x-country skiing (assuming they have snow) ...

if you're going to do it right thru to september - there are lots of options depending on what your interests are ... outdoors, night life, cities, etc ...
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    Anybody have any suggestions for good roadtrips that can be done in a week-end?

I usually try to see a lot of the same thing in one week-end, but I can't really think of anything cool to hunt for. i.e. Breweries within a 4 hour radius of my house. Or wineries. Or...[insert idea here].

If you want to be specific, I'm in the Southern Ontario region.

If not, just throw some ideas out there and I'll see if any of those [....] exist in my area.

Thanks.

I live in UK so i would love to one day travel from London to any part of Cornwall *sigh*
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    a place closer would be ellicotville - also in NY and they also have a micro-brewery there ... do the sampler ...

I've been skiing there before. It's a nice place, but I've never done the brewery! Probably more fun than their slopes! :)
    polaris wrote:
    if you're going to do it right thru to september - there are lots of options depending on what your interests are ... outdoors, night life, cities, etc ...

I have a lot of interests. Outdoors, live music, museums, historic sites, picturesque sites, food, bakeries, cheese boutiques, antiques, even just quaint little downtown areas with all kinds of cute little shops and stuff....anything really.....haha.....
  • Options
    I've been skiing there before. It's a nice place, but I've never done the brewery! Probably more fun than their slopes! :)

I have a lot of interests. Outdoors, live music, museums, historic sites, picturesque sites, food, bakeries, cheese boutiques, antiques, even just quaint little downtown areas with all kinds of cute little shops and stuff....anything really.....haha.....

yeah ... not the best hill ... :)

well ... you can pretty much go anywhere ... depending on your experience at things - kayaking in ON is great up around georgian bay and everytime you come out - there is a cool old school pub to greet ya somewhere ... here are a few other places:

quebec city - they have a winter carnaval there but i prefer going when its warm to hit old town ...

ottawa - go during winterlude ... check out the ice sculptures; skate on the canal; have drinks/dinner in the market; go to museum of civilization; go skiing/walking in the gatineaus on the quebec side ...

will assume you know about stuff in your vicinity like niagara on the lake; stratford; elora; st. jacobs, that kind of places ...

basically, search for festivals in around ya for the weekends you want out of the hammer ... lots in the spring/summer ...

enjoy
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    If you are going to the Adirond's, there is a new indoor water park around there somewhere. How awesome...
    Have fun!
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away