Anyone play Tennis here?

CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
edited August 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I used to play a bunch when I was a little younger, have been playing 2-3 times a week this summer cause I found someone who can actually play.

Great way to keep active without getting bored
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    I used to play a bunch when I was a little younger, have been playing 2-3 times a week this summer cause I found someone who can actually play.

Great way to keep active without getting bored

yeah started playing this summer too. About the only exercise I have been getting. You going to the Open?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    i played a year varsity for my university but now i go out once a year and shank everything ...
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I miss playing SOOOOO much! :( I played in high school and loved it. Haven't played in a long time though.

The other day all of a sudden I heard the sound of the racket hitting the ball on a serve. It was all in my head and I thought "WHOA where did that come from?" :eek: Made me realize how much I miss it.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    yeah started playing this summer too. About the only exercise I have been getting. You going to the Open?

I've been to it in the past..Flushing is only 30 minutes away, tix are pricey.This year probably not...I spent a bunch on PJ/Ed so I'd rather save for hopefully an '09 tour

Federer/Nadal aint got shit on me....bigtime jk
    I miss playing SOOOOO much! :( I played in high school and loved it. Haven't played in a long time though.

The other day all of a sudden I heard the sound of the racket hitting the ball on a serve. It was all in my head and I thought "WHOA where did that come from?" :eek: Made me realize how much I miss it.

Get out and play, its also pretty cheap compared to playing 18 holes

I think I'll try my luck on clay this afternoon
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    I've been to it in the past..Flushing is only 30 minutes away, tix are pricey.This year probably not...I spent a bunch on PJ/Ed so I'd rather save for hopefully an '09 tour

Federer/Nadal aint got shit on me....bigtime jk

That is the final I want to see (I wish). Grew up in Forest Hills so been to many many Opens over the years. Tried playing in HS and stunk up the place. Our team was actually good. Kind of gave it up until wife got interested.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I play - recreational, USTA leagues, local leagues, etc - but not as much since I moved about 2 years ago away from my tennis buddies.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Get out and play, its also pretty cheap compared to playing 18 holes

I think I'll try my luck on clay this afternoon

I just need someone to play with and I'm set! :p

Come on by!
    GoiMTvP.gif

I hear you on that, I used to have a handful of people back in the day...they all stopped playing or dont have time

You also have to find someone who can track down shots and return with a little pace...then its real fun and competitive

Good Luck
    Come on by!

Sure! :D We'll have some mac and cheese after :D
    Sure! :D We'll have some mac and cheese after :D

That's a good day!
    GoiMTvP.gif
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    I hear you on that, I used to have a handful of people back in the day...they all stopped playing or dont have time

You also have to find someone who can track down shots and return with a little pace...then its real fun and competitive

Good Luck

Thanks. :) Yeah finding someone who can return is key :D
  • Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    There is nothing like tennis. Its awesome. I used to and still would play everyday if my friends still played (they all play golf now). I literally have no care in the world when I am playing. I love the intensity and concentration required to play at a high level (well, for me 4.0). Its my ultimate escape.

There is nothing like ripping a solid backhand winner down the line.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i started playing in high school. at first, just to have something to do during gym class. but, my sophomore year i went out for the team and made it!!

i miss playing so much!! i only get to these days when i head over to orlando and play with my best friend. we're not very good at all anymore, but once we get a good rally going it's such a great feeling :)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    im a guy... so the answer is no
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    im a guy... so the answer is no

You play ping-pong? Just on a bigger scale

You should try it...I'd bet you would like it

I'm a dude
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    You play ping-pong? Just on a bigger scale

You should try it...I'd bet you would like it

I'm a dude

i was j/k

i used to play alot of tennis

just sucked at serving
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    i'm really good at running after the green fuzzball.
    and i hit home runs all the time.

my friends aren't so fond of my skills.
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i was j/k

i used to play alot of tennis

just sucked at serving

Practice,practice,practice

My serve used to suck

Now that I've been playing a few times a week for a few months..its gotten better. My second serve needs more pace, I usually slice it
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I went to tennis camp when I was like 10-12 years old, ha

I used to play at a pretty competitve level at the time

A couple of years ago, I had a buddy and we played about 3-4 times a week for about 6 months until I moved away and we were really competitive

Nothing I found in life has matched the competitiveness of mental and physical ability to play the sport. It's as much mentally tough as physically when you play at a high level.

I am planning on joining a tennis club when I get a full-time job and move out on my own
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:

Nothing I found in life has matched the competitiveness of mental and physical ability to play the sport. It's as much mentally tough as physically when you play at a high level.

I am with you completely. Thats why its such an escape for me. I think of nothing besides tennis when I am playing. When I do play in leagues, I actually try to get in shape so I can compete.
    I am with you completely. Thats why its such an escape for me. I think of nothing besides tennis when I am playing. When I do play in leagues, I actually try to get in shape so I can compete.

Great way to clear your mind...I've had a tough year and playing hardcore since Memorial day weekend has brought balance to me.

Great chance to get cardio out of the way... I usually lift after I play
    oh man, you guys are making me jones to play tennis

I need to find some competitive tennis friends
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • thossythossy Posts: 59
    I played in high school didn't play at all for ten years after that and started playing again in jan 05 (probably the only new years resolution I've followed thru on)

I play in USTA and a couple of local leagues both mens and mixed. So much fun. I do find it funny though that I play in the winter way more than i do in the summer which is the inverse I would guess of most.

A couple of the mixed teams I've been on have gone to Maine for sectionals which has been fun.

my most fun tennis story was this past fall when my buddy and i were in the club championship finals and were down 5-0 and came back to win 7-5 6-4, we got on such a roll we rattled off 9 straight games I believe.

and i agree with everyone else, unless life has me really really stressed, I walk on that court and it's all about hitting that little green ball.
    98 MSG I
    04 Boston I
    06 Hartford, Boston I+II
    08 Hartford, Mansfield I+II
    08 EV Solo Boston I+II
    smarchee wrote:

me too. I may go hit off a wall tonight. Yes, I will be "that guy" hitting tennis balls off a wall. I have yet to beat the wall....
    smarchee wrote:

well, you got a bunch in here, but unfortunately, we are scattered across the country. :)

edit: scattered across the world.

we should have a Pearl Jam Message Pit Open, and all meet somewhere and play. ha ha ha ha!

where we meeting?
    me too. I may go hit off a wall tonight. Yes, I will be "that guy" hitting tennis balls off a wall. I have yet to beat the wall....

haha, I used to do that all the time as a kid.

I could never beat the wall either
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    Yes, TABLE

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

well, you got a bunch in here, but unfortunately, we are scattered across the country. :)

edit: scattered across the world.

we should have a Pearl Jam Message Pit Open, and all meet somewhere and play. ha ha ha ha!

where we meeting?

lol good idea, making Jeff can join us, he looks sporty
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit