Options

Joe the Plumber Racist Skinhead???

HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
edited October 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/contentposting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20081015%2fplumber_debate_081016

"Joe the plumber," the Ohio man who was plucked from obscurity during Wednesday's U.S. presidential debate and used by the candidates to score political points, was basking in the media spotlight Thursday. But he remained silent about who'll get his vote.

CTV.ca News

Joe Wurzelbacher, aka 'Joe The Pumber,' laughs while chatting with the press outside of his home in Holland, Ohio, Thursday, Oct. 16, 2008. (AP / Madalyn Ruggiero)
"It's a personal decision, and myself and the button I push will know the answer," Joe Wurzelbacher, a 34-year-old plumber and single father, said on ABC's "Good Morning America" program.

Wurzelbacher appears to be enjoying his brush with celebrity after a conversation he had with Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama became the centrepiece of last night's debate.

Last week, he had confronted Obama in his Holland, Ohio, neighborhood as the Illinois senator was stumping for votes. The plumber told Obama that he was interested in buying a small business but was concerned that Obama's tax hike on business owners and residents would cut into his future profits.

Obama told him that 95 per cent of voters would get a tax break under his plan, and only the rich (those earning more than $250,000) would see a slight tax increase.

Ending the conversation, Obama said his plan would help everyone by "spreading the wealth around."

Republican John McCain seized those words during Thursday's debate, telling the audience the conversation showed that Obama wants to redistribute wealth in America.

Time after time, McCain returned to the subject, often looking directly into the camera and speaking to "Joe, the plumber." Obama soon followed suit and he, too, began speaking directly to "Joe."

While both candidates tried to make their case during the debate, the plumber remained elusive on Thursday about who will ultimately get his vote. But he has suggested that he's worried about Obama's plans.

"You see my house. I don't have a lot of bells and whistles in here, really. My truck's a couple of years old and I'm going to have it for the next 10 years, probably. So I don't see him (Obama) helping me out," he told the Toledo Blade newspaper after the debate.

He also told CBS News immediately after the debate that Obama didn't answer his questions during last week's confrontation. Obama tap-danced "almost as good as Sammy Davis, Jr.," he said.

Wurzelbacher, who appeared on Fox News shortly after his talk with Obama and was asked to appear at a McCain rally, had a much more positive reaction to McCain's proposals.

"McCain came across with some solid points, and I was real happy about that," he said.

But Wurzelbacher also admitted that he isn't "even close" to earning $250,000, the minimum yearly salary that would see a tax hike under Obama's plan.

He also said his sudden fame hasn't yet translated into better business.

"I hope I have a lot of jobs today. Yesterday, I worked on a water main break for a gas station and that's why I didn't give any interviews. I was muddy and soaking wet," he said.

With files from The Associated Press
Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,467
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Yea, yea, yea. Fuck that guy.
  • Options
    Something I found amusing today was that a New York Times blog noted that Joe is an unlicensed plumber, had never completed an apprenticeship, is not a union member as he claims to be on his Facebook page (and presumably on the job) and that he has a tax lien against him. Looks like maybe the conservatives and Johnny Mac should have checked him out before annointing him their folk hero of the moment.

I think it's a bit pitiful that two Times writers even bothered to "investigate" Joe the Plumber at all - I mean, he's just some dude - but I suppose it was all those appearances on Fox News and the endless mentions at the debate that made him newsworthy.

McLovin' it.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i read it twice. im missing the part where he may be a racist.

dumb, yes. racist? idk. lol.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    the wolf wrote:

dumb, yes. racist? idk. lol.
    Nobody in America really know what racism really is anymore... ;)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    the wolf wrote:

"Tap dances like Sammy Davis Jr."

Out of all of the famous tap-dancers in the world like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, he has to pick the one who is black. It means his mind most likely refuses to acknowledge similarities between different races.

And the fact that he constructed a fantasy version of himself just so he could justify voting for McCain doesn't help his case either. He is so deeply disgusted by the idea of voting for a black person that he resorted to living in a fantasy world where he is soon to become a wealthy business owner with a plumbing license. He talks about the "American Dream." But, it's hard to deny that his "American Dream" probably doesn't include any black people in it.

In fact, he might've gotten involved with the plumbing industry because he is fascinated by the idea of removing "dark-colored" substances. He may even refer to drain clogs as "impurities". Plumbing might very well be his personal metaphor for ethnic cleansing.
  • Options
    Something I found amusing today was that a New York Times blog noted that Joe is an unlicensed plumber, had never completed an apprenticeship, is not a union member as he claims to be on his Facebook page (and presumably on the job) and that he has a tax lien against him. Looks like maybe the conservatives and Johnny Mac should have checked him out before annointing him their folk hero of the moment.

I think it's a bit pitiful that two Times writers even bothered to "investigate" Joe the Plumber at all - I mean, he's just some dude - but I suppose it was all those appearances on Fox News and the endless mentions at the debate that made him newsworthy.

McLovin' it.

i read about this in the paper today. he's unlicensed, but i guess according to ohio law he doesn't have to be if he's working for a company that is licensed? at least that's what the paper said. and it also said the back taxes he owes comes to just under $1200, and he probably had no idea he even owed that money. again, that's what was in the paper.

and to sponger: if i was to name a tap dancer, i'd say gregory hines. i'm white. does that make me a racist? i think you're reaching a bit with that one. and just because he's bald doesn't make him a "skinhead".
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    sponger wrote:
    "Tap dances like Sammy Davis Jr."

Out of all of the famous tap-dancers in the world like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, he has to pick the one who is black. It means his mind most likely refuses to acknowledge similarities between different races.

And the fact that he constructed a fantasy version of himself just so he could justify voting for McCain doesn't help his case either. He is so deeply disgusted by the idea of voting for a black person that he resorted to living in a fantasy world where he is soon to become a wealthy business owner with a plumbing license. He talks about the "American Dream." But, it's hard to deny that his "American Dream" probably doesn't include any black people in it.

In fact, he might've gotten involved with the plumbing industry because he is fascinated by the idea of removing "dark-colored" substances. He may even refer to drain clogs as "impurities". Plumbing might very well be his personal metaphor for ethnic cleansing.

well, Sammy is my favorite dancer from that era so i would have made the same mistake.

but just cause they are both black, dont make it racist.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    well, Sammy is my favorite dancer from that era so i would have made the same mistake.

but just cause they are both black, dont make it racist.

I have no love for Joe the Idiot "Plumber," but I agree. Calling that racist is a stretch. There is enough real dirt on him, McCain and Palin that we don't need to make stuff up.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage