Happy Festivus!

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Festivus is a holiday celebrated on the 23rd of December each year. It was instituted by a Queens, New York man named Frank Costanza as an alternative to the overly commercialized traditional holidays of December.

The Festivus celebration includes three major components:

* The Festivus Pole - During Festivus, an unadorned aluminum pole is displayed, apparently in opposition to the commercialization of decorated Christmas trees. Mr. Constanza finds “tinsel distracting.”

* The Airing of Grievances - At the Festivus dinner, the celebrant tells their friends and family all the instances where they disappointed the celebrant that year.

* The Feats of Strength - The head of the family tests his or her strength against one participant of the head’s choosing. Festivus is not considered over until the head of the family has been pinned. Participants are allowed to decline to attempt to pin the head of the family only if they have something better to do instead.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeanwah wrote:
    Festivus is a holiday celebrated on the 23rd of December each year. It was instituted by a Queens, New York man named Frank Costanza as an alternative to the overly commercialized traditional holidays of December.

The Festivus celebration includes three major components:

* The Festivus Pole - During Festivus, an unadorned aluminum pole is displayed, apparently in opposition to the commercialization of decorated Christmas trees. Mr. Constanza finds “tinsel distracting.”

* The Airing of Grievances - At the Festivus dinner, the celebrant tells their friends and family all the instances where they disappointed the celebrant that year.

* The Feats of Strength - The head of the family tests his or her strength against one participant of the head’s choosing. Festivus is not considered over until the head of the family has been pinned. Participants are allowed to decline to attempt to pin the head of the family only if they have something better to do instead.

Another Festivus Miracle!
  • I aired my grievances and I'm taking down the Festivus pole this weekend. :)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Happy Festivus!

I don't celebrate the other holiday, so this is for the others that don't either. :)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    RKCNDY said:

Happy Festivus!

I don't celebrate the other holiday, so this is for the others that don't either. :)

For the rest of us =)

I came across this a few days ago. Good stuff.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/12/16/DI2009121603245.html

Jeanwah, if you still visit/lurk here, best of holiday wishes to you and your family. You are missed!