Options

and...twins!!

jammergirljammergirl Posts: 598
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
sorry if this topic has been posted recently...

i have an identical twin sister, and i was just wondering if anyone else here has a twin, knows a twin, etc.

being a twin is pretty interesting, mostly because of the comments i've gotten over the years. i'll share a few with you folks:
-"so, which one is the brainy sensible one, and which one is the wild one?"
-"do you ever wake up in the morning and think you're the other one?" (i've gotten this question more than once in my life. quite possibly one of the stupidest things ever said. ever.)
-"wow, i'd hate to have another ME running around!"(um, i don't really consider my sis another me, thats just weird)
-"heh, twins eh?" followed by lewd guffawing. I really don't understand why twins are so sexualized in american culture. just because we look alike doesn't mean we would double up on a guy, thats incest! and don't guys like variety? if anyone has any insight on this, i would appreciate it! ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i have a twin brother, and we're like night and day... they call my bro 'the evil one' because of our completely opposite personalities!
    My dad's last words to me: "Careful, son, I don't think the safety's on."
  • Options
    I thought every woman had twins. Some identical ;)
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I have a twin sister. But I'm a male. So, we're not "real" twins.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    I grew up from age 1 to about 21 with twins. My parents and their parents graduated HS together so that explains why.

The funny thing is, to me, up until about 5 years ago, they looked nothing alike, but others who didn't know them well thought they were identical (in the look-a-like, non scientific sense of the word relating to twins.. lol). After college we sort of lost touch and I see them a bit now and then, and honestly, I find myself second guessing which twin it is, weird huh?
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I'm a twin. The oldest by 2 minutes. Singles don't realize the significance of those 2 minutes. As my twin says "You're old, and I'm a sweet young thing" :D

I've read that we choose when we are born. There is no doubt that I chose to be born because I could have her with me throughout life. There were a couple times this life I could have left, and I thought of her and decided to stay. She was my hero growing up. She was always strong and healthy, and I would root her on from the sidelines. She was always on my side. We didn't have too many clothes that matched because we just wore hand-me-downs from my older siblings. Also, I was scrawny as a kid. So, it didn't seem we looked alike.

We're fraternal, but my mom kept our hospital bracelets on for a few days when we came home from the hospital because we looked so much alike. My mom knew it was twins before the doctors because her mom was an identical twin, and my mom gave birth to 3 singles before us.

My dad tried to separate us because he's an asshole. We weren't allowed to be in the same room, or have the same friends. We would get in SERIOUS physically painful trouble if we were together too much. He didn't like us, obviously, and he didn't like his mother-in-law either. I remember one time when we were about 7 my twin was mad at me because I was at the same friend's house that she was at, and she was scared we would get in trouble. That is very sad when you think of it. Overall, his tactics didn't work hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, fucker! We get along really well:)

Our weights are different now, but if we were the same weight we would look a lot alike. I saw a picture of her holding her daughter when she was a baby, and I was amazed how much we look alike. :) Currently, we live 40 minutes from each other after about 17 years of living in different places. For three of those years I was in Seattle, and she was in Germany. She'll celebrate her 16th wedding anniversary this February, and she has two beautiful daughers.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Julien wrote:
    I have a twin sister. But I'm a male. So, we're not "real" twins.
    Sure, you're a twin! Toot the twin horn. Go on toot toot toot!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I'm one third of a triplet set....any love for me in this thread?
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm a twin. The oldest by 2 minutes. Singles don't realize the significance of those 2 minutes. As my twin says "You're old, and I'm a sweet young thing" :D

I've read that we choose when we are born. There is no doubt that I chose to be born because I could have her with me throughout life. There were a couple times this life I could have left, and I thought of her and decided to stay. She was my hero growing up. She was always strong and healthy, and I would root her on from the sidelines. She was always on my side. We didn't have too many clothes that matched because we just wore hand-me-downs from my older siblings. Also, I was scrawny as a kid. So, it didn't seem we looked alike.

We're fraternal, but my mom kept our hospital bracelets on for a few days when we came home from the hospital because we looked so much alike. My mom knew it was twins before the doctors because her mom was an identical twin, and my mom gave birth to 3 singles before us.

My dad tried to separate us because he's an asshole. We weren't allowed to be in the same room, or have the same friends. We would get in SERIOUS physically painful trouble if we were together too much. He didn't like us, obviously, and he didn't like his mother-in-law either. I remember one time when we were about 7 my twin was mad at me because I was at the same friend's house that she was at, and she was scared we would get in trouble. That is very sad when you think of it. Overall, his tactics didn't work hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, fucker! We get along really well:)

Our weights are different now, but if we were the same weight we would look a lot alike. I saw a picture of her holding her daughter when she was a baby, and I was amazed how much we look alike. :) Currently, we live 40 minutes from each other after about 17 years of living in different places. For three of those years I was in Seattle, and she was in Germany. She'll celebrate her 16th wedding anniversary this February, and she has two beautiful daughers.

wow, i'm glad your dad wasn't able to keep you apart. what a fucked-up dude! ha, i do the same thing to my sister! i'm 3 minutes older, so i always say "respect your elders!"
  • Options

wow, much respect! what was the ratio: girls, guys?
  • Options
    i shouldve had a twin. :(
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I found my twin. one day I was in the bathroom about to brush my teeth then I looked up and... BOOM! There he was!
    A bit of a copy cat though...
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    Snake wrote:
    I found my twin. one day I was in the bathroom about to brush my teeth then I looked up and... BOOM! There he was!
    A bit of a copy cat though...
    LMAO!!! :D

funniest thing ive read today.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969

Talk about alot of womb-mates!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    my mom has an identical twin.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    -"heh, twins eh?" followed by lewd guffawing. I really don't understand why twins are so sexualized in american culture. just because we look alike doesn't mean we would double up on a guy, thats incest! and don't guys like variety? if anyone has any insight on this, i would appreciate it! ;-)

I'm so glad you said that! I've aways thought that. It's weird!

My dad's a twin but not identical.