Huge Trade In Mlb

jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Cabrera And Willis To Detroit For 6 Prospects.
Go Birds!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If Willis plays up to potential the Tigers may be the team to beat this year in the AL.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    If Willis plays up to potential the Tigers may be the team to beat this year in the AL.

Unless of course the Sox actually pick up Johan. Then it will be too close to call.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Tigers just shook the MLB. They might be deadly this year. And yes...Cabrera is gone from the NL!
  • wow thats crazy. cabrera is awesome. the tigers did mortgage their future, but it looks like it may be worth it as detroit are serious contenders now.
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Cabrera And Willis To Detroit For 6 Prospects.

Shame our Phils couldn't get this deal, Marlilns did not want to trade within the divison. I think Willis will get back to his old form on a good team, not much motivation to pitch well for a losing team.

The NL just got even more weaker than the AL.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    If Willis plays up to potential the Tigers may be the team to beat this year in the AL.
    they same tigers team that had how many errors when it counted?
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    they same tigers team that had how many errors when it counted?

in the world series 2 seasons ago? too many. what's that got to do with this coming season?

what concerns me is they gave up to of their top pitching prospects... given how shaky their rotation was last season, that's a gamble.
  • I'm extremely happy with this trade... I don't think there's any way you CAN'T do it. You're getting two proven commodities in Willis and Cabrera, plus it now lets them put Brandon Inge on the trading block so they can get some bullpen help (which is sorely needed). Giving up Maybin is tough, but Granderson has CF on lockdown for the next 10+ years... now you could put Maybin at one of the corner spots, but his speed is much more attractive to teams in CF. Pitching prospects are always hard to let go, but you have to give up talent to get talent. Plus, I've lost count of how many "can't-miss" pitching prospects I've seen over the years... I'd bet every team in the majors has at least 2 can't-miss guys in their systems right now, and you'll probably be able to count the ones that actually live up to their hype on 3 fingers.

Tigers had to make this trade. They can't afford to wait around for 1-2 years while their core group (Ordonez, Rodriguez, Sheffield, Guillen, Polanco... not to mention Rogers) gets older, waiting for Miller and Maybin to be ready to play every day in the majors... the window is now.

In case there's any other baseball geeks in here besides me, here's a quick rundown on the 6 guys the Tigers gave up:

CAMERON MAYBIN
    A first-round pick in 2005 and five-tool centerfielder. The 20-year-old was called up in August after a hot start in the minors and batted .143 with one home run and two RBIs. Hit .219 in the Arizona Fall League before a shoulder strain.

EULOGIO DE LA CRUZ
    Throws in the high 90s and can hit 100 m.p.h. Future is in relief but can start. Right-hander, 23, had a 3.52 ERA with Triple-A Toledo.

MIKE RABELO
    Tigers’ backup catcher, 27, hit .256 with one homer and 18 RBIs in 51 games.

ANDREW MILLER
    Sixth overall pick in the 2006 draft was considered the best prospect that season. The left-hander, 22, went 5-5 with a 5.63 ERA after a midseason call-up.

DALLAS TRAHERN
    The 22-year-old right-hander had one of the best sinkers in the organization. Very good (12-6, 3.87 ERA) — but not dominant — at Double-A Erie.

BURKE BADENHOP
    The 24-year-old right-hander was the Tigers’ minor league pitcher of the year in 2006 and finished 2007 with a promotion to Erie, where he pitched two complete games in three starts.
    Motown322 wrote:
    I'm extremely happy with this trade... I don't think there's any way you CAN'T do it. You're getting two proven commodities in Willis and Cabrera, plus it now lets them put Brandon Inge on the trading block so they can get some bullpen help (which is sorely needed). Giving up Maybin is tough, but Granderson has CF on lockdown for the next 10+ years... now you could put Maybin at one of the corner spots, but his speed is much more attractive to teams in CF. Pitching prospects are always hard to let go, but you have to give up talent to get talent. Plus, I've lost count of how many "can't-miss" pitching prospects I've seen over the years... I'd bet every team in the majors has at least 2 can't-miss guys in their systems right now, and you'll probably be able to count the ones that actually live up to their hype on 3 fingers.

Tigers had to make this trade. They can't afford to wait around for 1-2 years while their core group (Ordonez, Rodriguez, Sheffield, Guillen, Polanco... not to mention Rogers) gets older, waiting for Miller and Maybin to be ready to play every day in the majors... the window is now.

In case there's any other baseball geeks in here besides me, here's a quick rundown on the 6 guys the Tigers gave up:

CAMERON MAYBIN
    A first-round pick in 2005 and five-tool centerfielder. The 20-year-old was called up in August after a hot start in the minors and batted .143 with one home run and two RBIs. Hit .219 in the Arizona Fall League before a shoulder strain.

EULOGIO DE LA CRUZ
    Throws in the high 90s and can hit 100 m.p.h. Future is in relief but can start. Right-hander, 23, had a 3.52 ERA with Triple-A Toledo.

MIKE RABELO
    Tigers’ backup catcher, 27, hit .256 with one homer and 18 RBIs in 51 games.

ANDREW MILLER
    Sixth overall pick in the 2006 draft was considered the best prospect that season. The left-hander, 22, went 5-5 with a 5.63 ERA after a midseason call-up.

DALLAS TRAHERN
    The 22-year-old right-hander had one of the best sinkers in the organization. Very good (12-6, 3.87 ERA) — but not dominant — at Double-A Erie.

BURKE BADENHOP
    The 24-year-old right-hander was the Tigers’ minor league pitcher of the year in 2006 and finished 2007 with a promotion to Erie, where he pitched two complete games in three starts.

you think they're going to trade inge? :( he played with so much heart and he stuck with that team through many terrible seasons. i hate to miss see him go.
  • you think they're going to trade inge? :( he played with so much heart and he stuck with that team through many terrible seasons. i hate to miss see him go.

Oh yeah... I think they move Inge to try and get some bullpen help. I really like Brandon Inge, but let's face it: he's a horrifically average glove at 3B and he's coming off of a terrible year at the plate. Looking at the 10 or so "everyday" 3Bs in the AL, his fielding percentage is right at the bottom and he led the AL in errors at 3B as well. Plus, he's got a huge contract that would be nice to move.

He's got value to another team as a guy that can play 3B and can catch as well.
  • Motown322 wrote:
    Oh yeah... I think they move Inge to try and get some bullpen help. I really like Brandon Inge, but let's face it: he's a horrifically average glove at 3B and he's coming off of a terrible year at the plate. Looking at the 10 or so "everyday" 3Bs in the AL, his fielding percentage is right at the bottom and he led the AL in errors at 3B as well. Plus, he's got a huge contract that would be nice to move.

He's got value to another team as a guy that can play 3B and can catch as well.

Inge was one of....actually he was my favorite player. He'd have flashes of brilliance at third and he has an insane arm but he did have those spurts of errors. Cabrerra brings a pretty lackluster glove too but has the bat to back him up. I really really hate to see Inge go but that's the way the cookie crumbles i guess :(

I hated to see Maybin go too (i thought he was our "untradeable" prospect). It would have been fun to watch him develop but...we needed help now and he wasn't providing it.

Good moves by the Tigers. Hopefully our farm system hasn't been picked over to the extent that we have absolutely no one to bring up come playoff time or in case of an injury. I'm fairly certain Porcello won't be ready for the big-leagues this season (or possibly next).
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • I feel bad for the Marlins GM too. People were dishing out death threats on the Marlins' MLB board last night. Probably today as well.

The guy people should be handing those out to is Bill Martin, Michigan's AD (kidding of course)...but that guy is seriously screwing up this coaching search to the rest of college football's amusement.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

• I'm really hoping I see headlines this week that says "ROLEN TRADED TO DODGERS FOR PROSPECT ANDY LAROCHE".

It is at that point that I will again have faith in the Cardinals.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    the tigers got a steal...

cabrera will dominate the al... and so will the d-train with bonderman and verlander

sick!
  • my2hands wrote:

cabrera will dominate the al... and so will the d-train with bonderman and verlander

sick!

I hope so. I definitely think the league change will help willis. Even though the AL is tough on pitchers, he's in a pitchers heaven @ Comerica. Cabrera is just going to make everyone around him even better. Granderson, Polonco, Cabrera, Mags, Sheff, Renteria, Pudge (batting 7th!! possibly), Jones and Thames. Who wouldn't be afraid of that lineup?! Leyland has to be fricken salivating at the things he can do w/ that. His wife has to be pissed b/c he's probably staying up all night smoking and dreaming of different possibilities.

I just hope Bonderman's arm stays healthy, Rogers doesn't get worn out and Jones finds a way not to blow too many games. Pitching is still a fairly big concern for me although Dombrowski seems to think it isn't. Rodney needs to pitch like he did at the end of last season and shore up the set-up man role until zoom gets back.

"She fell funny"

• The bullpen is a HUGE concern... and any Tiger fan is kidding themself if they don't think it is. They're absolutely loaded offensively, but their bullpen was horrible last year and it's not going to be any better right now (adding Bautista yesterday should help). Motocross Man Zumaya will probably never be as effective again as he was in '06.

Marcus (Pedro Cerrano) Thames might find himself without a spot as well... he may get some time in at 1B, but Jacque Jones is pretty much your everyday LF now.
    Motown322 wrote:
    The bullpen is a HUGE concern... and any Tiger fan is kidding themself if they don't think it is. They're absolutely loaded offensively, but their bullpen was horrible last year and it's not going to be any better right now (adding Bautista yesterday should help). Motocross Man Zumaya will probably never be as effective again as he was in '06.

Marcus (Pedro Cerrano) Thames might find himself without a spot as well... he may get some time in at 1B, but Jacque Jones is pretty much your everyday LF now.

i do see some of the logic of the big problem for the tigers being their starting pitching though. they had too many injuries and inconsistencies there, which meant the set-up guys had to do way more pitching than they should have, so it made sense that they would have been knocked around. if they can get a healthy and solid rotation, their bullpen might look much better in comparison to last season.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Motown322 wrote:
    Giving up Maybin is tough, but Granderson has CF on lockdown for the next 10+ years.

I don't think Granderson will be in Detroit that long.
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    my2hands wrote:

sick!

I think Cabrera will be alright but I just am not drinking the d-train kool aid.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    DS1119 wrote:
    my2hands wrote:

sick!

I think Cabrera will be alright but I just am not drinking the d-train kool aid.

That's a good call on d-train ... :lol::lol::lol:
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    DS1119 wrote:
    my2hands wrote:

sick!

Good prediction