Options

'The X Files: I Want to Believe'

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited November 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
There are probably threads about this already, I know.. so save it ;)

I'm a rabid X Files fan and the film wasn't showing in my cinema, so I had to wait for the DVD.

I bought it yesterday, watched it right away, and I was pleasantly surprised. The last film was 'meh', muddled itself with the already convoluted mythology arc, and the script felt nothing like what I knew of the TV show.

This film was what it should've been; beautifully shot, an eerie/wintery setting, a scary villain/theme, a script which was witty and intelligent enough, and Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny looked as if they were once again enjoying their roles.. It was nostalgic and felt like I was watching the X Files of old. There were some funny and scary moments. I really liked it.

Opinions?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I never really watched the series but I'm sort of intrigued by this film..
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:
    I never really watched the series but I'm sort of intrigued by this film..

Give it a go :)

And then try the series.. Seasons 1-6 are brilliant, groundbreaking TV. Seasons 7-9 are good to 'OK'.. it's all good TV though.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    I missed the DVD release. Must go buy it now! I am also a big X-files fan. I have every season and the first movie, which I liked a lot. I liked this movies as well. Can't wait to see it at home.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Options
    Give it a go :)

And then try the series.. Seasons 1-6 are brilliant, groundbreaking TV. Seasons 7-9 are good to 'OK'.. it's all good TV though.

I just might. :)

what put me off from watching the series was one glimpse I got years ago where some guy's mouth sealed up or something.. (at least I think it was The X Files) :confused: it was too weird for me! lol.

but we've got seasons 1-5 here (at work) so I might start watching them sooner or later.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I liked it, but it took a few days to realize that because it was drastically different from what I was expecting.
  • Options
    I missed the DVD release. Must go buy it now! I am also a big X-files fan. I have every season and the first movie, which I liked a lot. I liked this movies as well. Can't wait to see it at home.

I don't think the first film was awful.. It was fine. I just thought the script was too 'Hollywood' and overblown. This one is subtler, imo.. I didn't cringe once during the watching, anyway. I cringed at a few moments in the last one :D

• Options
    eMMI wrote:
    I just might. :)

what put me off from watching the series was one glimpse I got years ago where some guy's mouth sealed up or something.. (at least I think it was The X Files) :confused: it was too weird for me! lol.

but we've got seasons 1-5 here (at work) so I might start watching them sooner or later.

Yeah that was X Files ;)

If you found that weird/scary, it gets weirder/scarier.. just to warn you.. It very rarely reaches proper horror status though.

• Options
    Yeah that was X Files ;)

If you found that weird/scary, it gets weirder/scarier.. just to warn you.. It very rarely reaches proper horror status though.
    Thanks Harmless, my gf and I were sloooowly going through the seasons (we're halfway through 3 atm) and we haven't watched any episodes in a long time. I think we'll get the train moving again tonight.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Thanks Harmless, my gf and I were sloooowly going through the seasons (we're halfway through 3 atm) and we haven't watched any episodes in a long time. I think we'll get the train moving again tonight.

Do it! Nothing like an X Files marathon with the loved one :)

• Options
    We were watching 1 or 2 episodes a night for a while there, and haven't watched any in a good bit.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    We were watching 1 or 2 episodes a night for a while there, and haven't watched any in a good bit.

There are some corkers in season 3... and it's the season where they started doing some fantastic comedy as well :D

• Options
    Yeah that was X Files ;)

like I said, that was a long long time ago. I can handle some weird and scary things nowadays. I even watched The Orphanage for heavens sakes! ;):D

thanks for the warning though. :)
  • Options
    I didn't really like it. I used to like the series and it did feel very nostalgic in a good way at times... however it was just like a fairly average episode :o nothing great.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    There are some corkers in season 3... and it's the season where they started doing some fantastic comedy as well :D
    I think they were in the jealousy phase last we saw.
    Some pretty bad episodes in that season too :p
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I think they were in the jealousy phase last we saw.
    Some pretty bad episodes in that season too :p

Bad episodes in season 3? Wash your mouth out young man!

The jealousy phase? Is that the episode with Owen Wilson's brother in it? (Brett Wilson?) It's a comedy.

I thought some of the episodes were a bit rubbish (Mulder and Scully acting out of character, hilarious, stupid lines, Mulder even squeels like a girl in seeing an alien in one episode) until realising they were parodies and are supposed to be hilarious. The writers are just playing around. I don't think there's one bad episode in season 3! ;)

• Options
    Bad episodes in season 3? Wash your mouth out young man!

The jealousy phase? Is that the episode with Owen Wilson's brother in it? (Brett Wilson?) It's a comedy.

I thought some of the episodes were a bit rubbish (Mulder and Scully acting out of character, hilarious, stupid lines, Mulder even squeels like a girl in seeing an alien in one episode) until realising they were parodies and are supposed to be hilarious. The writers are just playing around. I don't think there's one bad episode in season 3! ;)
    No? Maybe we're in season 4 then.
    One sec, wiki to the rescue!
  • Options
    I didn't really like it. I used to like the series and it did feel very nostalgic in a good way at times... however it was just like a fairly average episode :o nothing great.

Did you like the last film?

In a way, what I've heard as a criticism of this film is what I liked about it. I wanted something that reflected what I liked of the episodes. I wanted to feel like I was watching an extra long episode - nothing more - and I got that. I didn't want a groundbreakingly original storyline. That would've created something more like the overblown last movie..

In the last film I was getting Independence Day, Indiana Jones, James Bond, some generic political film about bombs and terrorism... well, to me it was just kissing the arse of Hollywood, in many ways... and in my opinion. :p

• Options
    Rygar wrote:
    No? Maybe we're in season 4 then.
    One sec, wiki to the rescue!

I'd say the same about season 4 (I told you I was a rabid fan) except I think that the one about the demon-possessed dummy is in season 4. That one was written by Steven King, and is rubbish. ;)

• Options
    walrus wrote:
    i loved the series..but this movie was horrible..not good enough to have been part of the original show..
    and i disagree with your assessment of the first movie..which i loved

Different strokes for different folks :)

• Options
    Did you like the last film?

In a way, what I've heard as a criticism of this film is what I liked about it. I wanted something that reflected what I liked of the episodes. I wanted to feel like I was watching an extra long episode - nothing more - and I got that. I didn't want a groundbreakingly original storyline. That would've created something more like the overblown last movie..

In the last film I was getting Independence Day, Indiana Jones, James Bond, some generic political film about bombs and terrorism... well, to me it was just kissing the arse of Hollywood, in many ways... and in my opinion. :p
    Did you just slag Indy and Bond?
    Fuck me Freddy, it's on now!!!!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Did you just slag Indy and Bond?
    Fuck me Freddy, it's on now!!!!

LOL no, those films have their place. I just don't want 'Hollywood blockbuster' or 'popcorn flick' anywhere near my X Files thanks very much ;)

• Options
    Rygar wrote:

Ah yes :) Grotesque is a pretty good episode, not one of the best but I wouldn't call it 'bad' at all.

And Syzygy is most definitely a comedy. Everyone acts out of character, there's a jealousy game between Mulder and Scully and Mulder says to a blonde bombshell cop, 'Can you help me solve the mystery of the horny beast?'

What's not to like? :D It's also a piss-take of the teen film, with high-schoolers, basketball and two demonic dumb blondes twins. It's not to be taken seriously.

• Options
    Ah yes :) Grotesque is a pretty good episode, not one of the best but I wouldn't call it 'bad' at all.

And Syzygy is most definitely a comedy. Everyone acts out of character, there's a jealousy game between Mulder and Scully and Mulder says to a blonde bombshell cop, 'Can you help me solve the mystery of the horny beast?'

What's not to like? :D It's also a piss-take of the teen film, with high-schoolers, basketball and two demonic dumb blondes twins. It's not to be taken seriously.
    They weren't 'bad' episodes, but they had 'bad' qualities that tarnished them.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    The very first episode of X Files I ever saw was called I think, 'Home'. Quite an introduction to the series eh? Seen every episode since. Thanks for the reminder I need to watch the new movie. I'll check if its for rent on itunes.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312

Seriously, one of the best Thanksgiving (ie, huge family gathering) dinners I had was when there was an X-Files marathon on. My uncle Larry, my husband and I were all in our own little world. :p
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    walrus wrote:
    i loved the series..but this movie was horrible..not good enough to have been part of the original show..
    and i disagree with your assessment of the first movie..which i loved

I loved the first film as well and would rewatch it before I would rewatch this last one. I liked the story line, which I felt could have fit right in with the series, but Gillian Anderson was not feeling the Scully character, IMO. And, it kept throwin' the movie off.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    There are probably threads about this already, I know.. so save it ;)

I'm a rabid X Files fan and the film wasn't showing in my cinema, so I had to wait for the DVD.

Hey rabid x-files fan...I've got a lot of odd X-Files crap in a trunk in my basement. I can trade it for some PJ stuff if you want. I even have a production script from a friend of mine who used to work on the show. They often flimed it in my old neighbourhood in Vancouver. We'd be all, "great. It's the x-files again - taking all the parking spots"....

Anyway, all my stuff is from the early to mid-90's...trading cards, magazines, comics...

Yeah, so...glad you liked the most recent film. The older one was not so great....
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    I am a huge X-File fan, but the new movie didn't do much for me, but will buy it though and watch it again.
    I thought the story was a bit weak. That can't be best monster of the week idea Chris Carter and Co could come up. It could be worst, it could be the drivel story line the new indy movie came up with.

Hopefully they come back in 2012 with a great ending movie.
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I wasn't all that impressed with this film. I was a big fan of the show, but the movie did absolutely nothing for me.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks