Options

iPod help?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited October 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
How do I sync only a few new albums onto my Pod without it erasing everything else? I want to keep my existing playlist and only add 2 or 3 albums over the top.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    You should just be able to manually update your ipod. I can't remember where the setting is off the top of my head since I'm at work right now.

It should also just add the new albums to your existing library if you update it anyways. Or did you erase certain albums from your PC?
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Got to edit then preferences and select the tab which should be called "other devices". I don't know the exact name because I have iTunes in french but it should be something like that.
    Once you're there, deselect "automatic sync".
    Now if you want to add an album to library, you just need to go to file and add to library.
    Hope that helps.
  • Options
    You should just be able to manually update your ipod. I can't remember where the setting is off the top of my head since I'm at work right now.

It should also just add the new albums to your existing library if you update it anyways. Or did you erase certain albums from your PC?

Thanks.. my problem is my ipod is only 8 gb and I've ran out of room. I tried deleting the same amount of albums (from the library) as I'd just added, to create room, but still no... no sync. In fact, it was weird cus according to the computer it was syncing, but then I ejected the ipod and there was no change.. nothing had been added or taken away. So I guessed it was still too much stuff, even though I asked it to only sync the checked boxes.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Thanks.. my problem is my ipod is only 8 gb and I've ran out of room. I tried deleting the same amount of albums (from the library) as I'd just added, to create room, but still no... no sync. In fact, it was weird cus according to the computer it was syncing, but then I ejected the ipod and there was no change.. nothing had been added or taken away. So I guessed it was still too much stuff, even though I asked it to only sync the checked boxes.

Look at IGotSh#t-76's post. That sounds right to me.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Got to edit then preferences and select the tab which should be called "other devices". I don't know the exact name because I have iTunes in french but it should be something like that.
    Once you're there, deselect "automatic sync".
    Now if you want to add an album to library, you just need to go to file and add to library.
    Hope that helps.

Oooh you live in the French Alps!!! LUCKY! :)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    How do I sync only a few new albums onto my Pod without it erasing everything else? I want to keep my existing playlist and only add 2 or 3 albums over the top.

make a playlist with just what you want to sync...then sync just that playlist
  • Options
    Oooh you live in the French Alps!!! LUCKY! :)

I know :D ... and snow is coming this week !!!

To come back to the iPod thing, I definitely think that the automatic sync is a non-sense when you have for example 40Gb of music on your computer and only an iPod Nano of 4 or 8Gb. That's why I disabled it. I only manually drag and drop the albums I want from my iTunes library to my iPod.