Options

The Wheelchair Basketball thread

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited September 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Wheelchair basketball is fucking brilliant. There you go.

I was obsessed with it during the Paralympics. Even though I already liked it, it reawakened the desire to get back into playing (I played in college). I'm in touch with a team in the Midlands who I'm hoping to try out for in January and I can't fucking wait!

I don't expect this thread to stick around but by all means, prove me wrong :D

Anyone seen a game?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

in all honesty mate, this thread will garner about as much interest as Matt Cameron's Jazz album ;)

its actually quite fun to watch (at least on TV) but i can't work out the rules about travelling and such like... the guys put the ball on their laps and then wheel for a bit.. i dont know how you're supposed to get the ball off the other guy if he's doing that?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    in all honesty mate, this thread will garner about as much interest as Matt Cameron's Jazz album ;)

its actually quite fun to watch (at least on TV) but i can't work out the rules about travelling and such like... the guys put the ball on their laps and then wheel for a bit.. i dont know how you're supposed to get the ball off the other guy if he's doing that?

A player has to bounce or pass the ball every TWO pushes of the wheel, just like the equivalent two steps of normal basketball. If there's more pushes per bounce/pass, it's a travel violation. If there's loads of room and no defense in front of you, those pushes can be as long as you like, but it gets difficult when there's loads of defenders in front. More bouncing required.

You can only steal the ball if it's in the process of leaving the lap, i.e. being bounced, passed or shot.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    jaysus mark where you been? good to see you back!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    I bet you have to be strong as hell to play that game bro. You should get into arm wrestling. ;)
    Yea, where have you been?
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I love all basketball be it two-legged, wheelchair, one leg (pirate style), WNBA... well, maybe not that last one so much but I love basketball!!!

EDIT: Nice to see you Harmless!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    the chances for me to watch wheelchair basketball (or any other sport - no telly) are few and far between but when it's possible I do find it interesting. :) probably wouldn't watch it for a very long time though (not from the telly anyway) cause I'm not that into sports spectating. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    Are there non-disabled people who play wheelchair basketball just as a sport? I've always wondered that.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    Wheelchair basketball is fucking brilliant. There you go.

I was obsessed with it during the Paralympics. Even though I already liked it, it reawakened the desire to get back into playing (I played in college). I'm in touch with a team in the Midlands who I'm hoping to try out for in January and I can't fucking wait!

Anyone seen a game?

Very cool!

Its always nice to reignite a passion!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Are there non-disabled people who play wheelchair basketball just as a sport? I've always wondered that.

just as a sport? ... as opposed to their main source of employment?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options

yes. i've known some.

my very first boyfriend had osteogenesis imeperfecta (like brittle bone syndrome...his legs had broken over 200 times!!) ... so he couldn't really play any real sports... but he didn't need a wheel chair... (he was defintely handicapped though...) ANYWAY... he was really into sports and played a lot of wheelchair basketball and there were some guys i knew who got into it because they had family member in it. You'd be watching and all of a sudden they'd jump out of their chairs and start running. Kinda trippy when you don't know or expect it.

The exes dad was wheelchair bound his whole life (with the same thing) and he is in the ncaa hall of fame for wheelchair basketball.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    yes. i've known some.

my very first boyfriend had osteogenesis imeperfecta (like brittle bone syndrome...his legs had broken over 200 times!!) ... so he couldn't really play any real sports... but he didn't need a wheel chair... (he was defintely handicapped though...) ANYWAY... he was really into sports and played a lot of wheelchair basketball and there were some guys i knew who got into it because they had family member in it. You'd be watching and all of a sudden they'd jump out of their chairs and start running. Kinda trippy when you don't know or expect it.

The exes dad was wheelchair bound his whole life (with the same thing) and he is in the ncaa hall of fame for wheelchair basketball.

Nice. It's cool that there are non-handicapped people who play it too.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    Nice. It's cool that there are non-handicapped people who play it too.

I think the rules state that you can have up to two non-disabled people on a team. It all depends on points. Different disabilities will have a point system and each team cannot exceed a certain number of points.

What I love about it is that it's a brilliant game, disabled or not. It's a serious sport which doesn't support the idea that the sports world is just 'throwing us a bone' or 'letting us have a go', which is a widespread attitude towards disabled sport.

• Options
    I think the rules state that you can have up to two non-disabled people on a team. It all depends on points. Different disabilities will have a point system and each team cannot exceed a certain number of points.

What I love about it is that it's a brilliant game, disabled or not. It's a serious sport which doesn't support the idea that the sports world is just 'throwing us a bone' or 'letting us have a go', which is a widespread attitude towards disabled sport.

I am sure you've seen that documentary that is out about the sport. Escaping my name right now, but a lot of people have seen it.
  • Options
    I am sure you've seen that documentary that is out about the sport. Escaping my name right now, but a lot of people have seen it.

I haven't, no. I've heard there is one but I haven't been able to find it. I'd give an arm and a leg to find it, and still be a great basketball player ;)

• Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    dunkman wrote:
    Matt Cameron made a Jazz album? Freakin A! :cool:
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    that game is insane to watch, i can't imagine what it would be like to play. in NZ our team is called the 'wheel blacks', to the best of my knowledge i think they're pretty good, correct me if i'm wrong though. i remember seeing them take on the all blacks & the AB's got their asses handed to them, they could barely stay upright. looks very physical. all the best!
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    is it "murderball"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436613/

edit: oh that film's about rugby, sorry. looks good though!
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    jammergirl wrote:

isn't that rugby?
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    itsevobaby wrote:
    that game is insane to watch, i can't imagine what it would be like to play. in NZ our team is called the 'wheel blacks', to the best of my knowledge i think they're pretty good, correct me if i'm wrong though. i remember seeing them take on the all blacks & the AB's got their asses handed to them, they could barely stay upright. looks very physical. all the best!

Yep, you'd be talking about wheelchair rugby. Also a great game. The wheel blacks actually do the Hukka (sp?) before a game. And yes, the game started as "Murderball" and was originally played by WWII veterans.

• Options
    itsevobaby wrote:
    .... in NZ our team is called the 'wheel blacks'
    LMAO!!!!! What are the Aus team called???

The Wheelabies??? haahaa :D:D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed