Options

I hate to be such a pussy but......

AiCPearlJamWeenAiCPearlJamWeen Posts: 785
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I'm planning to drive my moms Geo down to Roo from Western NY with two of my buddies. Well my main fright is some dumb ass drunk raiding our shit while we are in the concert grounds. So anyone who has been there is there a lot of theft? And do people brake into cars and shit?

Also is their anything I should get checked on the car before we take this haul? This is my first multi-state drive and I don't wanna end up breaking down. It's a 91 Geo with 35,000 miles on it (bought it from an old couple in Boston that never drove it out of the city.).

I'm changing the brakes and changing the oil. Anything else to check do you think? I don't know how to do a lot of car work only the simple shit like changing the tire, changing brakes and changing oil.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm planning to drive my moms Geo down to Roo from Western NY with two of my buddies. Well my main fright is some dumb ass drunk raiding our shit while we are in the concert grounds. So anyone who has been there is there a lot of theft? And do people brake into cars and shit?

Also is their anything I should get checked on the car before we take this haul? This is my first multi-state drive and I don't wanna end up breaking down. It's a 91 Geo with 35,000 miles on it (bought it from an old couple in Boston that never drove it out of the city.).

I'm changing the brakes and changing the oil. Anything else to check do you think? I don't know how to do a lot of car work only the simple shit like changing the tire, changing brakes and changing oil.
    car should be fine......30,000 is nothing....its probably due for a tune up anyway...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Stuff like that happening is pretty minimal considering you have 80,000 people camping there. People look out for each other at Roo. Make friends with your neighbors and you will be fine. Just be smart and don't leave stuff out in plain sight. Even while bands are playing there are usually lots of people who hang at their camp sites for various reasons so it's not like the whole campground is totally deserted.

I don't know anything about cars but with only 35k miles you should be fine I would think, even if it is old. My pathfinder has 140k on it and still runs great.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    Girl Scout cookies and Mountain Dew.

Road trip fuel.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    I'm not bringing that much valuable shit anyways. Just my wallet, phone and maybe a camera. Other than that all Im bringing is 2 coolers, a mini grill and some burgers and shit
  • Options
    I'm not bringing that much valuable shit anyways. Just my wallet, phone and maybe a camera. Other than that all Im bringing is 2 coolers, a mini grill and some burgers and shit

We left our coolers and our grill out in the open - in between our 2 cars and no one touched them so I am sure you will be fine. Just keep your wallet, camera, etc on your when you go into Centeroo.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Make sure there's air in your spare tire and that your windshield wipers are working properly and you have wiper fluid. It sucks to be caught in Tennessee rain with bad wiper blades.

Which reminds me.... do I even have a spare tire? Be right back.... :D
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    AAA...just in case, a real $$ saver if something happens. My car broke down coming home from the Toronto show and it saved my ass. I was pretty far from home. Also they will change a tire, unlock doors and that kind of thing. Always good to have all the time.

We are probably driving about the same distance, 14 or 15 hours, when do you plan to leave? I might leave Wed and get a cheap hotel an hour or so away, or may just sleep in the car at a rest stop (thats doubtful, I need sleep cause I won't get much there).
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    Can you park your car next to your tent? I thought you had to park it in a lot and walk all of your crap over to the camping site.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    If you have a car you can park and camp right in front or behind it.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222

take a gun with ya :) every American who takes pride in their culture should own one :D ( i'm joking :) )

also remember this sinister thing i'm going to tell you:

if you break down in the middle of nowhere, and get into trouble with someone remember if there's no police around every action is ok in the eyes of the law ;)
  • Options

take a gun with ya :) every American who takes pride in their culture should own one :D ( i'm joking :) )

if you break down in the middle of nowhere, and get into trouble with someone remember if there's no police around every action is ok in the eyes of the law ;)
  • Options

• Options
    haha, sorry guys i didn't mean to post it 3 times :eek: my computer froze so i clicked more times than i should've
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

You could be sure to get all your fluids, belts, and hoses checked, just to be on the safe side. We had a belt snap on us, many years ago.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,572
    JaneNY wrote:
    You could be sure to get all your fluids, belts, and hoses checked, just to be on the safe side. We had a belt snap on us, many years ago.

given the age of the car ('91) despite the milege (35,000 miles) it would be a very good idea to FLUSH the radiator and replace the engine coolant with fresh coolant, making sure it's been pre-mixed 50/50 with water. take an extra gallon of engine coolant to keep in the trunk just in case you have a coolant leak en route. changing the oil right before the trip would be a good idea, but keep in mind over the next few months to keep an eye on the oil level in the motor, checking when the motor is cold to ensure there isn't a drop-off in the oil level due to a leak. i can't imagine the engine in that Geo taking anything more than 4 quarts of oil, so it would be a good idea to take 4-8 quarts of EXTRA oil to keep in the trunk (what does it take, 5W30 likely?) should there be a drop-off during the drive. good idea to check the oil level BEFORE leaving the grounds for the drive back.

also a good idea to inspect the tires, making sure there are no cracks and ensuring there is enough tread left on them. before your trip, with the tires COLD (1st thing in the morning if the car's been parked all night) check the air pressure with a gauge (digital gauge is best) and make sure there's at least 32psi in each tire (ALSO make sure to check the air pressure in the SPARE tire, ensuring it's also at 32psi). have the battery tested to make sure it's in good shape. make sure the full headlight system works (high-beams, turn signals, etc.), make sure the wipers work and the washer jets spary washer fluid, which should be topped up. that should be good,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    If you want to be certain you're ready for the road-trip, try reading this.

Also, AAA is a great recommendation. They can get you bailed out of almost any type of car trouble.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    If you want to be certain you're ready for the road-trip, try reading this.

Also, AAA is a great recommendation. They can get you bailed out of almost any type of car trouble.

AAA is a really good idea and it isn't very expensive.
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    Honestly if i owned a 91 Geo i would hope to God someone would steal it. I think it will be alright. Maybe just to play it safe you should get "The Club"