Options

My dad can't seem to stop going on about my new flat.

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
All the work he wants to do to it; walls he wants to knock through etc.; kitchen designs. I know it's because he cares, but it's just depressing me a bit.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    All the work he wants to do to it; walls he wants to knock through etc.; kitchen designs. I know it's because he cares, but it's just depressing me a bit.

my mum is the same way with my place. I know what you mean. I rent the place so we can't do any rennovations like that, but she's always talking about how my furniture doesn't match and saying a need more curtains and need more things to hang on the walls, and BUYING me stuff to hang on the walls, and telling me I need to buy all this expensive stuff.
  • Options
    He's shown me the floor plan like five times already, each time forgetting that he's done it before. He has a memory like a wooden leg. I've just moved out from my married home today, and I just wish people would fucking stop going on about houses. It's been weird seeing my place in boxes all week, and now.. back at my parents. It's Devolution, Baby.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    He's shown me the floor plan like five times already, each time forgetting that he's done it before. He has a memory like a wooden leg. I've just moved out from my married home today, and I just wish people would fucking stop going on about houses. It's been weird seeing my place in boxes all week, and now.. back at my parents. It's Devolution, Baby.

haha well my mum bought me a painting for christmas and my parents came over to help me hang it and got in a big argument about the proper way to hang a picture and my dad ended up putting a gigantic hole in the very nice living room wall that now I'm going to have to somehow patch and paint. I seriously hope there is some of the living room paint down in the basement...

but honestly your dad is probably just trying to help you get excited about the place. just tell him you don't want to talk about it.
  • Options
    haha well my mum bought me a painting for christmas and my parents came over to help me hang it and got in a big argument about the proper way to hang a picture and my dad ended up putting a gigantic hole in the very nice living room wall that now I'm going to have to somehow patch and paint. I seriously hope there is some of the living room paint down in the basement...

but honestly your dad is probably just trying to help you get excited about the place. just tell him you don't want to talk about it.

I know, his heart's in the right place. I tell him I don't want to talk about it, he thinks I'm being ungrateful. I'll just have to ride the wave and keep listening to Johnny Cash. :rolleyes:

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I know, his heart's in the right place. I tell him I don't want to talk about it, he thinks I'm being ungrateful. I'll just have to ride the wave and keep listening to Johnny Cash. :rolleyes:

I live 3000 miles from my parents. At times like this, it's a beautiful thing!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:

Wow.. sounds nice. :)

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:

I just moved back close to my parents. I have to say, I definitely miss the 750-mile buffer zone.
  • Options
    Doesn't Johnny Cash make you feel worse?

Ooops. We've had this conversation before. Sorry.
  • Options
    Doesn't Johnny Cash make you feel worse?

;)

The pleasure/pain theory? Sadomasochism?

Ask Trent Reznor. :D

• Options
    ;)

Ask Trent Reznor. :D
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU (soory, couldnt resist :o)

good luck with the flat :)
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Tell your dad you totally appreciate it but since you've got so many changes going on right now, you want to move in there, settle and just "be" there for a little while before you and him start making lots of changes to it. That way, you're telling him you still want him to help but you need to settle there first, put a few of your own "marks" on it.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170

Thats tough man. I know my moving experience was an interesting one...I didn't plan any of it till like 3 days beforehand and ended up doing 90% of it myself (didn't help that a huge snowstorm hit right before). I just didn't stop going for like 3 days straight, but the whole time its like I was on autopilot. I guess that was my way of not thinking about the ramifications of everything.

But once I settled in the new place and got unpacked, I've actually grown to be pretty happy here (well, as close to happy as I'm able to get right now). Definately not minding the new bachelor pad at all (of course it helps that I bought a fancy new plasma TV, suround sound system and ps3!).

So yeah, it'll get better man, it has to!

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    ;)

I do that too. Listen to music that hurts. It's comforting and painful all at the same time.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    I do that too. Listen to music that hurts. It's comforting and painful all at the same time.

I've sort of been drenching myself in it today. Johnny Cash 'American III'.

• Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I've sort of been drenching myself in it today. Johnny Cash 'American III'.

Do you know that Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson storytellers album?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Do you know that Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson storytellers album?

NO!!!

?

:eek:

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

depressing? :confused:

firstly, did you BUY the flat? b/c otherwise i can't imagine being able to do any sort of major alterations like that otherwise. and if you DID purchase, it congratulations - how exciting! i would think with all you've been through recently, sure...a new flat/changes can be overwhelming, but being able to afford a place of your own, ON your own...tis all yours to make about *you*...how fun and exciting! i would think your dad is simply trying to help you focus on something positive perhaps? take your mind off a lot that has occurred for you recently? i say, just try to enjoy it as is....let your dad carry on...and in time, figure out what YOU truly want to do with your place.

i know you've been through sooooooooo much recently, but it sounds like you may well be on an upwards swing? your job is going well and you enjoy it much, yes? now you've managed to get a place of your own that you really like all on your own....that's more than a lot of people manage, so kudos to you! enjoy it all!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow