Options

Sorry, another Tattoo question....

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
My tattooist told me to only put ointment on it once in the morning, once in the evening, for a few days... However, I'm wondering if this is frequent enough - as it's starting to feel quite dry...?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    My tattooist told me to only put ointment on it once in the morning, once in the evening, for a few days... However, I'm wondering if this is frequent enough - as it's starting to feel quite dry...?
    When did you get it?
    You can put some on in the afternoon I think. Won't hurt it.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    If your skin feels try and sort of taut, put stuff on - as long as you just put on a tiny bit (just to make the skin shiny). You tat needs to be kept moisturized without being soggy. As it is cold and you are most probably wearing a t-shirt or something, the stuff you put on will get rubbed off by your clothes. You still want the tat to breath so don't put a massively thick layer of stuff!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    When did you get it?
    You can put some on in the afternoon I think. Won't hurt it.

I got it on Wednesday morning.. three nights ago tonight.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    I got it on Wednesday morning.. three nights ago tonight.
    See Redrock's post above.
    The antibiotic cream (like Polysporin) should be fine, but like RR said, just don't swim in it and you're good.
  • Options
    phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    You shouldn't too much stuff on it for too long. Let your body heal it like a burn-wound. Once it's not itching badly anymore let it be!!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    If your skin feels try and sort of taut, put stuff on - as long as you just put on a tiny bit (just to make the skin shiny). You tat needs to be kept moisturized without being soggy. As it is cold and you are most probably wearing a t-shirt or something, the stuff you put on will get rubbed off by your clothes. You still want the tat to breath so don't put a massively thick layer of stuff!

That's what I'm worried about - T shirt rubbing. Should be fine.

The guy recommended keeping it covered in cling film but quite afew people have advised against that, so I've gone with them..

• Options
    That's what I'm worried about - T shirt rubbing. Should be fine.

The guy recommended keeping it covered in cling film but quite afew people have advised against that, so I've gone with them..
    You could put a gauzz pad over it while you are at work or whatever if you wanted.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    See Redrock's post above.
    The antibiotic cream (like Polysporin) should be fine, but like RR said, just don't swim in it and you're good.
    polysporin is for infections. did you get an infection or a tattoo?
    when you first get your tattoo, when you go home you should gently wash it with some warm water and some unscented antibacterial(SP) soap.
    then leave it for a day, then apply unscented lubriderm. once or twice daily.
    trust me that is all you need.
    it will get dry, itch, and flake off. your shirt rubbing on it will make it dry, but just put it on in the morning and when you go to bed.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    V VV V Posts: 5,191
    ooo exciting , i saw you were going to get one
    any pics yet?? :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    V V wrote:
    ooo exciting , i saw you were going to get one
    any pics yet?? :D

Yeah dude, where's the pix?
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    polysporin is for infections. did you get an infection or a tattoo?
    when you first get your tattoo, when you go home you should gently wash it with some warm water and some unscented antibacterial(SP) soap.
    then leave it for a day, then apply unscented lubriderm. once or twice daily.
    trust me that is all you need.
    it will get dry, itch, and flake off. your shirt rubbing on it will make it dry, but just put it on in the morning and when you go to bed.
    Polysporin also promotes rapid healing, infection or no.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

my question to YOU is wheres the damn pics!!!!!! :eek:
    and that ink is gonna freakin ITCH like NOBODYS BUSINESS pretty soon. Thats by FAR the worst.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Polysporin also promotes rapid healing, infection or no.
    it will cause more harm than good.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • Options
    it will cause more harm than good.
    Didn't hurt mine, and was recommended by the artist.
    Mind you I only used it for 2 or 3 days anyway.
  • Options
    Vaseline and gauss bandages for a week. That's all
    the Minions
  • Options
    nope. dont ever do that. you need to have it breathe. vaseline will keep everything in. bad choice imo.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • Options
    Irish Al wrote:
    Yeah dude, where's the pix?

I'm going to upload them tomorrow when I can get to a camera..

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    my question to YOU is wheres the damn pics!!!!!! :eek:
    and that ink is gonna freakin ITCH like NOBODYS BUSINESS pretty soon. Thats by FAR the worst.

As above with the pic question....

Yeah, the itching. When should it start? It still feels like mild sunburn.. not itching yet..

• Options
    nope. dont ever do that. you need to have it breathe. vaseline will keep everything in. bad choice imo.

this way it never itches and/or gets infected
    the Minions
  • Options
    this way it never itches and/or gets infected

If it's anything like a normal wound, covering it up will make no difference as to how infected it gets.. If it gets too warm wrapped up, it's just as likely to get infected.. Allowing the skin to release moisture prevents infection.

Unless tattoos are an entirely different ball game....

• Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    put it on whenever you feel you need it. doesnt matter how often really, but only put a tiny amount on
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options

No vaseline or any petroleum jelly... not good for the tat, it will clog the pores and eventually draw out the ink (as lanolin, eg E45). Topical antibiotics are not recommended either, unless there is an infection. People can react to these antibiotics and it does not promote healing. Though I think it is a very american thing the antibiotic ointments. Bandages are certainly not recommended after the first couple of hours (or eventually for the first night) unless you have real problems with clothes catching on your tat. If you do need to cover up, just a thin compress stuck down on top and bottom (or left and right side) with the bandaging tape whatever it is called. So very loose.

Savlon is a good thing to help with the tat as well as any unscented emollient. Box standard stuff.. dirt cheap and very effective.

HLF.. my tats never itched.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    HLF.. my tats never itched.

Well that's interesting. It has developed the 'crust', seemingly, so hopefully it'll be good to go in the next couple of days.

• Options
    'The Crust'....... Definitely no need for any ointment then. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise...... Get to superdrug or boots and ask for an emollient... not branded, not scented. They have it in massive pots too for next to nothing. Used on babies and very gentle to the skin - works wonders.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    'The Crust'....... Definitely no need for any ointment then. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise...... Get to superdrug or boots and ask for an emollient... not branded, not scented. They have it in massive pots too for next to nothing. Used on babies and very gentle to the skin - works wonders.

'Emollient'? OK :) I got stuff but it was scented, so I won't use it.. I'll go to Boots tomorrow.

• Options
    Read the labels... scented stuff just means more possibilities of reaction. Also some of these scented ones may cause itching. But really, if it works for you, doesn't really matter. Each skin is different! Also, emollient is just a generic word for a moisturiser. Baby stuff is usually perfume free.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Read the labels... scented stuff just means more possibilities of reaction. Also some of these scented ones may cause itching. But really, if it works for you, doesn't really matter. Each skin is different! Also, emollient is just a generic word for a moisturiser. Baby stuff is usually perfume free.

OK, cool :)