Options

Is the dvd 'A Broke Down Melody' any good?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
My two younger teenage cousins are really into surf and skate culture in a big way. Was this a good choice for them? Too late now if it wasn't... :o

The fact Ed did some stuff for it swayed it for me. What tracks are they?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My two younger teenage cousins are really into surf and skate culture in a big way. Was this a good choice for them? Too late now if it wasn't... :o

The fact Ed did some stuff for it swayed it for me. What tracks are they?

Anything w/ Ed and Jack Johnson is a winning combination in my book.
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Love the DVD......but it's too short!

My favorite skate movie of all time is Dogtown and Z-boys (the doc....not Lords of Dogtown, the motion picture). It's inspiring!
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I think it's beautifully shot but don't expect a surf movie. A lot of time is devoted to body surfing and what not.

I was disappointed in it. Not particularly great music and not devoted to surfing. I much prefer September Songs and Thicker Than Water.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    'Broke Down Melody' is a good view of surfing from varying perspectives.
    Great big wave DVDs are 'Step Into Liquid', 'Riding Giants' and PBS DVD 'Condition: BLACK'.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    surferdude wrote:
    I think it's beautifully shot but don't expect a surf movie. A lot of time is devoted to body surfing and what not.

I was disappointed in it. Not particularly great music and not devoted to surfing. I much prefer September Songs and Thicker Than Water.
    the film wasn't my fav compared to previous films, but it wasn't awful.

but..my favs in the moonshine conspiracy collection are "september sessions" and "thicker than water"...jack johnson is a damn fine filmmaker! "shelter" is also great :) i have the "thicker than water" box set...comes with a book of photos from the filming...it's my favorite. if you can find it still, it's definitely worth picking it up.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.